Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: The White Album as a Single Album...  (Read 51254 times)

Melack

• A Beginning
  • I'm a Loser
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2009, 11:43:21 PM »

I'm bored and decided to make a try at this anyway.

1. Back In the U.S.S.R
2. Dear Prudence
3. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun
6. Blackbird
7. Don't Pass Me By
8. Sexy Sadie
9. Helter Skelter
10. Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
11. I'm So Tired
12. Mother Nature's Son
13. Long, Long, Long
14. Julia

Damn that was though, still many great song left. But these seems like the best one disc album right now.

NowhereMan

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2009, 09:07:34 AM »

On the other hand, I reckon they should have made it a 34 song album - 17 on each disc - therefore to include unrecognised classics such Not Guilty, Circles, What's The New Mary Jane, Sour Milk Sea etc.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2009, 09:27:09 AM »

On the other hand, I reckon they should have made it a 34 song album - 17 on each disc - therefore to include unrecognised classics such Not Guilty, Circles, What's The New Mary Jane, Sour Milk Sea etc.

Great idea. All they had to do first was invent the Compact Disc.  :)
don't follow leaders

Paulie Cee

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2009, 02:56:26 PM »

Putting together a Beatle album is a science and as such, there is a simple way to put together a single "White Album."

1) Side-starters should be uptempo and side-enders should be climactic.

2)Songs like "I Will" would have never survived a more scrutinizing Lennon eye, as it's inclusion would have been at the expense of a "harder," more group-involved effort.

3) George has to have at least one song.

4) Ringo does not.

1. "Back in the U.S.S.R."   McCartney 2:43
2. "Dear Prudence"   Lennon 3:56
3. "Glass Onion"   Lennon 2:17
4. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"   McCartney 3:08
5. "Wild Honey Pie"   McCartney 0:53
6. "The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill"   Lennon 3:14
7. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (George Harrison) Harrison 4:45
8. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"   
1. "Martha My Dear"   McCartney 2:28
2. "I'm So Tired"   Lennon 2:03
3. "Blackbird"   McCartney 2:18
4. "Piggies" (Harrison) Harrison 2:04
5. "Rocky Raccoon"   McCartney 3:32

6. "Don't Pass Me By" (Richard Starkey) Starr 3:50
7. "Why Don't We Do It in the Road?"   McCartney 1:41

8. "I Will"   McCartney 1:46
9. "Julia"   Lennon 2:54
1. "Birthday"   McCartney with Lennon 2:42
2. "Yer Blues"   Lennon 4:01
3. "Mother Nature's Son"   McCartney 2:48
4. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"   Lennon 2:24
5. "Sexy Sadie"   Lennon 3:15
6. "Helter Skelter"   McCartney 4:29
7. "Long, Long, Long" (Harrison) Harrison 3:04
1. "Revolution 1"   Lennon 4:15

2. "Honey Pie"   McCartney 2:41
3. "Savoy Truffle" (Harrison) Harrison 2:54
4. "Cry Baby Cry"   Lennon, with McCartney 3:01
5. "Revolution 9"     8:22
6. "Good Night"   Starr 3:11

That leaves us with (with sequencing amazingly intact):

5. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (George Harrison) Harrison 4:45
6. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"  Lennon 2:43   
7. "Martha My Dear"   McCartney 2:28
8. "I'm So Tired"   Lennon 2:03
9. "Blackbird"   McCartney 2:18
10. "Julia"   Lennon 2:54
11. "Birthday"   McCartney with Lennon 2:42
12. "Yer Blues"   Lennon 4:01
13. "Mother Nature's Son"   McCartney 2:48
14. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"   Lennon 2:24
15. "Sexy Sadie"   Lennon 3:15

Splitting into two album sides:

SIDE ONE

5. "Martha My Dear"   McCartney 2:28
6. "I'm So Tired"   Lennon 2:03
7. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (George Harrison) Harrison 4:45

SIDE TWO

1. "Birthday"   McCartney with Lennon 2:42
2. "Yer Blues"   Lennon 4:01
3. "Mother Nature's Son"   McCartney 2:48
4. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"   Lennon 2:24
5. "Sexy Sadie"   Lennon 3:15
6. "Blackbird"   McCartney 2:18
7. "Julia"   Lennon 2:54
8. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"  Lennon 2:43   

A little Lennon-heavy (8 John, 6 Paul), but as good as it gets.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2009, 03:04:07 PM »

Putting together a Beatle album is a science and as such, there is a simple way to put together a single "White Album."

1) Side-starters should be uptempo and side-enders should be climactic.

2)Songs like "I Will" would have never survived a more scrutinizing Lennon eye, as it's inclusion would have been at the expense of a "harder," more group-involved effort.

3) George has to have at least one song.

4) Ringo does not.

Nice. But are you sure about number two. He never managed (or as far as I know even tried) to get other McCartney songs he reckons he hated dropped. I'm not sure Lennon's role was one of scrutinizer, or that he had the power (or the will or desire) to prevent a Macca song going on an album (I've not seen any evidence that this ever happened. Only evidence that McCartney was able to veto Lennon's more political numbers.)
An image of Lennon as some defacto quality control officer doesn't seem to tie up with the reality of the groups dynamics. (especially in 1968)
don't follow leaders

Paulie Cee

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »

Nice. But are you sure about number two. He never managed (or as far as I know even tried) to get other McCartney songs he reckons he hated dropped. I'm not sure Lennon's role was one of scrutinizer, or that he had the power (or the will or desire) to prevent a Macca song going on an album (I've not seen any evidence that this ever happened. Only evidence that McCartney was able to veto Lennon's more political numbers.)
An image of Lennon as some defacto quality control officer doesn't seem to tie up with the reality of the groups dynamics. (especially in 1968)

The rest of the Beatles were quite intimidated by John, and while it's true in the later years he pretty much abdicated any leadership role, Geoff Emerick in his book stated that in these sessions John's personality was more aggressive than he had seen before and seemed to be on a mission. There are a bunch of songs on McCartney's early solo albums that didn't survive the White Album cut. I'm sure the others had a say.

And what "political numbers" of Lennon's were ever "vetoed" by McCartney?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »

The rest of the Beatles were quite intimidated by John, and while it's true in the later years he pretty much abdicated any leadership role, Geoff Emerick in his book stated that in these sessions John's personality was more aggressive than he had seen before and seemed to be on a mission. There are a bunch of songs on McCartney's early solo albums that didn't survive the White Album cut. I'm sure the others had a say.

And what "political numbers" of Lennon's were ever "vetoed" by McCartney?

Oops. But we know he presented Cold Turkey to the band and it was rejected. And they rejected Revolution as a single. And John was narked that Walrus was flipped for Hello Goodbye. And he moans that Paul songs got more attention in the studio than his. I know of no other comparable stories concerning Paul's music. But I accept as I worded it it may be a little wrong.
Anyways, yes some of Paul's songs were dropped (as were some of the others.) But how can you assume this was on Lennon's say so? Sorry, but I find this image that John was somehow the true hard rock and roller with the power to reject McCartney fluff incompatable with the facts. It just seems to be wishful thinking. Lennon tells of those miserable hours sitting through Maxwell's Silver Hammer, yet he couldn't/wouldn't stop it. Phew.
Agression doesn't equal power (ask my cat.)
Hello by the way.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »

The rest of the Beatles were quite intimidated by John,

Really? And who told you that?

Paulie Cee

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2009, 04:02:06 PM »

"Cold Turkey" was hardly a "political song" and I think it's rejection as a single was more a result of the other three rejecting it more than a thumbs down from Fuhrer Paul.

I have no image of John's being the "true hard rock and roller" and really don't see what that has to do with the "power to reject." If anything John's "power to reject" was more in McCartney's head (as it was even after the breakup), as he was unlikely to even propose songs like "Junk" and "Every Night," never mind having to endure the "public" Lennon ridicule songs like "Teddy Boy" got during the filming of "Let It Be."

McCartney's purported "leadership" of the Beatles after Epstein's death owed as much, if not more, to John's unwillingness to continue the charade as anything else.

For all intents and purposes the group known as "the Beatles" died somewhere in Rishikesh in early 1968. What Paul did after that was to push and cajole three increasingly disinterested people into the studio to make records for a band that existed more contractually than spiritually.      

Paulie Cee

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »

Really? And who told you that?

The three other Beatles and about 17,000 books.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2009, 04:06:03 PM »

^ I'm impressed that you've read 17,000 books.

Paulie Cee

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2009, 04:15:12 PM »

^ I'm impressed that you've read 17,000 books.

Thanks. Perhaps someday you can show me the ones you've read that prove John was a submissive pu$$ycat.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2009, 04:17:40 PM »

You really think that McCartney was intimidated by him? I think that's funny. Back up your statement with some quotes from reputable sources.

If you choose Wiki you're banned. ;D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2009, 04:24:47 PM »

McCartney's purported "leadership" of the Beatles after Epstein's death owed as much, if not more, to John's unwillingness to continue the charade as anything else.

Or maybe that after touring ended, and until he fell under Yoko's influence, that he simply had no Big Ideas. (and as we know post Yoko John wasn't averse to the odd Big Idea.) Supposition yes, but I'm not trying to pass it off as fact.
Maybe Paul was embarrassed by some of his music (as he should have been, some of it was awful.)
But again, you seem to assume it's a given that John had the power to have "I Will" rejected. Perhaps, yes, if John and George and George Martin had had a word. Or maybe Paul would have dropped it himself.  
I accept that Paul alone couldn't reject John's efforts. After all John managed to get Rev #9 past all three, plus George Martin. So if Paul had insisted that I Will should stay (and he would have been terribly stupid if he had) how do you know John could have said no? Any examples? Yesterday wasn't a "harder, group effort."
And you make Paul's efforts to keep the band alive sound like a bad thing. Would you rather he hadn't bothered and The Beatles story ended at Revolver?
ps - I agree by the way that I Will should go. It's fluff. But I don't think John had the power to make that happen. It would be Paul's (as it was his song) or the group's decision.
I agree my "political veto" comment was ill judged. But at that point you seemed to be insinuating that John had the final say on what The Beatles did, and nothing indicates that was the case.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:31:27 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2009, 04:30:36 PM »

That's the thing about the White Album. If it was a single album, all the crazy little ditties and dumb songs that I love would be gone. Honey Pie, I Will, Goodnight, and heck, even Revolution 9 have a place in the Beatles catalogue.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2009, 04:37:55 PM »

There's nothing written - by reputable sources - to suggest that John ever had the power over the others to veto anything. Or that they had power to veto his songs. It was a group effort, and when it came to The White Album I'm sure that there was a lot of give and take; you can have that, if I can have this. You can interpret all you like - and we'll never know the truth - but it seems to me that aside from The Whit Album, the good stuff got through, and the bad stuff was rejected.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2009, 10:11:43 AM »

Thanks. Perhaps someday you can show me the ones you've read that prove John was a submissive pu$$ycat.

No one's saying he was a submissive girl privatecat. Just that he had no more power over track selection than did Paul (twas you that said I Will would not have survived John's scrutinising eye.) and that these decisions, when made,  seem to have been a group effort.
I also doubt the line that Paul assumed the role of alpha Beatle because John "lost interest." It seems to me that after they signed that contract in 1962 no one had that role. Apart from music issues all decisions were made for them. They did what they were told, when they were told. Apart from the (admittedly climatic) decision to abandon touring ( a group decision? ) how did John assert his alpha role? He was for a while the better, more prolific songwriter, but  that's not the same thing. When Epstein died John didn't step down from the plate because he wasn't on it in the first place. Paul took up a role abandoned by Epstein, not Lennon.
And lets imagine "Fuhrer Paul" had adopted the same attitude as Lennon, if he hadn't continued to "push and cajole three increasingly disinterested people." Another Revolver album of great but disconnected songs (no Pepper), and no MMT. Had "the Beatles died somewhere in Rishikesh in early 1968" then there swansong may well have been Yellow Submarine!
Should we not celebrate the fact that Paul managed to push "push and cajole three increasingly disinterested people" into making two of rock's classic albums (White and Abbey Road) ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:30:44 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »

^ Well said. I'm getting increasingly tired of putting this point accross.

nufc

• One And One Is Two
    • http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/nufcmichael
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2010, 05:04:52 PM »

why are we destroying such an amazing album!  ??? but here we go

1. Dear Prudence
2. Glass Onion
3. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
4. Happiness Is a Warm Gun
5. Martha My Dear
6. Blackbird
7. Rocky Raccoon
8. Don't Pass Me By
9. Mother Nature's Son
10. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
11. Sexy Sadie
12. Helter Skelter
13. Long, Long, Long
14. Revolution 1

Make easy money just by searching!

Delirious Lab

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2010, 05:54:02 PM »

I've got weird tastes...

1. "Back in the U.S.S.R."
2. "Dear Prudence"
3. "Glass Onion"
4. "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" 
5. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
6. "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"   
7. "I'm So Tired"
8. "Don't Pass Me By"
9. "Julia" 
10. "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey"
11. "Helter Skelter"
12. "Savoy Truffle"
13. "Revolution 9" (yes, nine) 
14. "Good Night"
They'll learn to like it someday.
- Ludwig "Rolling Over" Beethoven
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Page created in 0.698 seconds with 81 queries.