Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Did John and Paul make up?  (Read 12641 times)

Marvin

• A Beginning
Did John and Paul make up?
« on: August 02, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »

In the Mojo magazine interveiw Paul and John were mates again before John Died. Both men would've at least been in their mid to late thirties at the time so would've grown up a bit from their Beatle days. I think Johns death hit Paul hard after all they were like brothers and i believe he spent the day in his studio when he found out and when the press asked him about Johns death he replied I'ts a drag. They would probably not be as close as they were but did become friends again? What do you think?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Did John and Paul make up?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 12:52:52 PM »

They got together a few times at the Dakota (Paul dropping by), but I think there was still tension. They were friends, but not like they used to be.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »

My understanding is that John and Paul patched up their differences before John died. The "rift" between them was never as deep or ugly as the music press in particular liked to portray. I have several interviews on DVD and in print where both parties admit they would always be close and I don't think this is just wishful thinking on the part of the fans. The recently broadcast TV documentary covering the day John Lennon died featured an interview with Dave Sholin, head of the RKO radio team who conducted the last ever interview with John. Dave himself was one of the last people to chat informally with John, aboard the RKO limo which gave John & Yoko a lift to the Record Plant when their own car failed to show up.

Says Sholin: "So John is saying, "Well, our car isn't here. You're going to the airport, would you mind giving us a ride?" I said, "Hop on in." And on the way, I ask him about his relationship with Paul McCartney. He says, "Well, he's like a brother. I love him. Families – we certainly have our ups and downs and our quarrels. But at the end of the day, when it's all said and done, I would do anything for him, I think he would do anything for me." And we said our goodbyes and dropped John and Yoko off at the studio.''

Paul has also gone on record many times expressing his relief that they parted on good terms, i.e. their friendship restored.

I think confusion creeps in because on the last occasion Paul happened to "drop by" John was a bit vexed and reminded Paul it wasn't quite like the old days when, unannounced, they'd pop into one another's houses as kids back in Liverpool. But these are the kind of mundane throwaway things we all say in day to day life which carry no great moment and I'm certain that they knew each other well enough to realise this had no "edge" to it. I think if they'd ever for a second realised they'd never see one another again they'd have been hugging each other like brothers.

Slightly sadder to me is the more likely fact that John passed away sulking with George, whom Lennon felt had paid him scant respect in Harrison's then current autobiography "I Me Mine". I did read that George had subsequently tried to contact John, who had failed to return his call before the terrible events of December 8th 1980 overtook him. So, unlike Paul, George lost his dear friend John on a slightly sour note - though again, had anyone had an inkling of what was coming I've no doubt in the great scheme of things John and George loved each other to the end.

"Life is very short...."

You don't go through the highs and lows those four guys endured without forging a deep and lasting bond.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:46:10 AM »

Quote from: Mr Mustard
Says Sholin: "So John is saying, "Well, our car isn't here. You're going to the airport, would you mind giving us a ride?" I said, "Hop on in." And on the way, I ask him about his relationship with Paul McCartney. He says, "Well, he's like a brother. I love him. Families – we certainly have our ups and downs and our quarrels. But at the end of the day, when it's all said and done, I would do anything for him, I think he would do anything for me." And we said our goodbyes and dropped John and Yoko off at the studio.''

Thanks for sharing this. It's nice to know. As for John and George, well, hopefully they're hanging out together again somewhere.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 01:33:59 AM »

Most definitely they made up. How about the "almost" appearance on Saturday Night Live, where they were hanging out, watching the show when Lorne Michaels offered money to get the Beatles on the show. Can you imagine? (Also, "Will you remember me, my old friend?" was a very touching comment from John to Paul.)

But, as will most all marriages, even a Beatle-bond/friendship gets relegated to the sideline in lieu of your loved one. And we all know Paul and John loved their wives.

"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 01:39:24 AM »

Quote from: Casbah
How about the "almost" appearance on Saturday Night Live, where they were hanging out, watching the show when Lorne Michaels offered money to get the Beatles on the show. Can you imagine?

That would have been all kinds of awesome!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:23:29 AM by Bobber »

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 05:14:48 PM »

I think they did. John praised Paul in an interview shortly before he died, saying something like "I've worked with the likes of Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney. That's pretty good." Or something like that.

I'm recalling from memory, so I may be off by that quote. But I'm pretty sure he said it.

Either way, I think John and Paul loved each other like family. I have quarrels with my family, but as I've discovered (when I lost an uncle who I parted with on bad terms), sometimes it's too late to say you're sorry.

I think John and Paul were both egotistical songwriters, and in that way, they battled with each other simply because they wanted to be the best out of the two. However, I don't believe they ever really hated each other.

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »

I think they did. John praised Paul in an interview shortly before he died, saying something like "I've worked with the likes of Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney. That's pretty good." Or something like that.

I'm recalling from memory, so I may be off by that quote. But I'm pretty sure he said it.

You're right. Coincidentally I was listening to the "Testimony" John & Yoko interview CD only a few hours ago. The interview was conducted only hours before John was killed. In it he claims to have been a pretty good talent scout having spotted and quickly harnessed Paul's potential aboard The Quarry Men. No matter their differences, John always looked up to Paul and Paul in turn idolised John. I think each recognised greatness in the other and could see the dynamite combination of talent when they set their minds to it.

Either way, I think John and Paul loved each other like family. I have quarrels with my family, but as I've discovered (when I lost an uncle who I parted with on bad terms), sometimes it's too late to say you're sorry.

I think John and Paul were both egotistical songwriters, and in that way, they battled with each other simply because they wanted to be the best out of the two. However, I don't believe they ever really hated each other.

Yes, I think you've got that spot on too. I'll have to try and dig it out but I seem to remember reading some account from the 70s (when Lennon & McCartney were at loggerheads) when some studio musician or technician badmouthed Paul during one of John's recording sessions and John went ballistic and furiously tore a strip off this guy. It was as if it was OK for the former Beatles themselves to criticise each other but woe betide anyone who slated any Beatle in another Beatle's presence. Remember they were very very close and as Ringo pointed out, "You always hurt the ones you love..." but the love always outweighed the (temporary) animosity.

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »

I think, judging by Paul's reactions last night, all of the bad blood that was around has gone away.

I do think that John could be a bit of a jerk sometimes. But when all was said and done, the Beatles were people, not just performers. I think John is somewhere up in the sky, smiling down on Paul right now.

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 08:09:27 PM »

I do think that they did make up in the end. They had a very tumultuous friendship, but you could tell that underneath all the vitriol, they really did care for each other.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 05:40:04 AM »

By all accounts, John and Paul had become pretty good friends again toward the end and had begun mending their relationship in about 1973 when John had gone to LA and hung with May Pang...

As someone said above, John's relationship had soured with George and George was the only one John wasn't happy with at the time of his shooting.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »

In interviews that John did close to his death and discussing Paul, he was annoyed at Paul for "just showing up with his guitar". According to John, Paul expected John to drop everything and play. John was "busy making bread and taking care of the baby" (Sean).
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »

Gary..I think that was more geared toward the mid-70s and not the late 70s..Where did you read that?

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 04:53:32 AM »

I would have to dig up the exact interview, but I believe he said it a day or two before he died.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 06:34:29 AM »

I would have to dig up the exact interview, but I believe he said it a day or two before he died.

But he was referring to let's say 1974.

sregis

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »

according to the new lennon bio (riley), even during what we all thought was the worst period of their relationship (early post-breakup), the two remained remarkably close.

stevejrogers

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 03:08:13 AM »

The "It's a drag" comment...well we all know how Paul isn't exactly the best when it comes to saying things spontaneously you know =;)  I wouldn't read too much into that.  I mean Paul went on to write "Here Today" for John.

FWIW, according to the Beatles FAQ 2.0 book, "All Those Years Ago" was meant to be as a bitter missive from George to John as "How Do You Sleep" was.  Then John is murdered and the song got a major overhaul.

KelMar

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 05:16:33 AM »

The "It's a drag" comment...well we all know how Paul isn't exactly the best when it comes to saying things spontaneously you know =;)  I wouldn't read too much into that. 

I can't even imagine what it must have been like for Paul to step out into the street and be expected to say the "perfect" thing after such devasting news. The look on his face said what words couldn't.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:18:55 AM by In My Life »

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 09:23:45 PM »

I don't know all that much about Riley's new book on Lennon (I highly doubt anything new could be in there)...
But, isn't Riley propped up by Yoko Ono?
You cannot rely on ANYTHING Yoko Ono says or backs.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 01:51:33 AM »

FWIW, according to the Beatles FAQ 2.0 book, "All Those Years Ago" was meant to be as a bitter missive from George to John as "How Do You Sleep" was.  Then John is murdered and the song got a major overhaul.

I haven't read that book. 

George never struck me as the vindictive type.  And why would George wait so long to compose a response to How Do You Sleep?
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 83 queries.