Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rickenbacker Bass obsolete?!  (Read 2124 times)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
Rickenbacker Bass obsolete?!
« on: April 30, 2007, 07:53:51 PM »

Okay so a few days ago at work I had a customer tell me he played in a band and that he played drums. So I said "Oh cool. I play bass" So we started taling about instruments and I told him that my next bass(which will be very soon) is going to be a RickenBacker 4001 bass guitar. He thought it was cool and asked if I listened to Rush(Since thats what Geddy Lee played) I told him that I did listen them a bit.. He then went on tosay that the RickenBacker bass is an obsolete model and no one uses them anymore. He said even Geddy Lee didn't use it anymore and switched it out for a Fender P bass. So I was quite suprised as I've heard so many people talk about how awesome Rickenbacker guitars are. So is this guy right or is he dead wrong on what he thinks of Rickenbackers?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Rickenbacker Bass obsolete?!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:12:59 PM »

It doesn't really matter what your customer says.  It's just his opinion.  Check to see if Geddy Lee is currently endorsing the Fender Precision Bass.

If you've dreamed of a 4001 and are comfortable playing one, buy it!
I can stay till it's time to go

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 01:08:44 AM »

I went to guitar center today and they actually had a Rickenbacker 4001 fireglo! This was the first time I've ever seen with with my own eyes and actually held one and played it!! It was amazing! For me it was so easy to play and it just worked. I had a bit of a hard time with the Fenders but this one just worked. It felt natural in my arms. The sound was amazing and the sustain was incredible. I fell in love. I was so very tempted to buy it on the whim but I stopped myself due to the fact it was used. It was beat up pretty badly. The paint was chipped in a lot of places and just looked a bit old. I'd rather get a brand new one thats Mapleglo as opposed to Fireglo. But I pretty much don't care what my customer said, the rickenbacker 4001 mapleglo will be mine!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 09:25:10 AM »

I own a Precision and have played a Rickenbacker 4001 quite a few times.

For me, the Precision is the master all round work-horse. It has a lot of fine credits on the tracks it has appeared on. However, theres nothing like the fat sturdyness of a Rickenbacker with it's fat pick-ups that make it a delight to plug-in.

The sound of the 12th fret action on a Ricky is also hard to beat. Stick with what YOU want and please disregard this joker. Never be bothered too much by what is supposed to be cool to play. Its what sounds and feels right. You love The Beatles, so therefore this is the sound you may aspire to, and is familiar to produce.

If I had some idle cash, I would definitly by a Ricky. Hope that sheds some light. ;)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 12:06:43 AM »

I think P-bass is like the strat or maybe tele of six-string elec guitars.  Ricky's are so much more unique and the tone in the higher range (I guess depending on strings, too) just shines.  That's what sets apart the Revolver Sound to me--is that Rickenbacker bass.

In terms of recording you've got a whole nother range of issues.  But Rick's have a clean sound in general and are very well crafted . . . not to knock Fender.  

I think I've said it on here before but my old bandmate owned a Rickenbacker "lite-up" bass designed for Jack Cassidy.  The lite-up thing was pretty goofy but that thing sounded like a million bucks.  

Buy a Rick.  

Wordno

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 11:14:45 PM »

I went ahead and bought one on Musician's friend. It cost me 1400 bucks. I've been saving up for a long time so it didn't dent my wallet too much. I'm waiting everyday for it to come in the mail. I seriously can't wait until I get it! I can't wait to plug in that fine piece work in my amp and just play it. I've already planned to take a day off of work just so that I can play it for a whole day straight! I'm looking foward to this! Man...I hope my new axe comes soon...

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 12:52:43 PM »

Someone told me that Mr Rickenbacker is a member of the KKK.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 02:21:56 PM »

It cannot be can it?
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 02:20:55 AM »

Hi, all.  A newbie here, but an old Beatle fan.  I play guitar and bass, and I've had a Rickenbacker 4001s since 1978.  It was out of style when I bought it.  But people are still impressed with it when I plug it in--especially if I plug it into an Ampeg SVT.

You've made a good purchase.  It's a versatile bass.  It may not have the thump and pop of the Precision, but it can get down and low.

By the way, Geddy Lee switched to a Fender Jazz, not a Precision.

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
  • Staple it toghether, we'll call it bad weather
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 02:22:59 AM »

i play a rickenbacker guitar (and fender) and they will NEVER be obsolete. they sound so great and are super easy to play.
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 02:29:22 AM »

i play the 350v63 liverpool model!!!!
MARTINA was HERE<br />[size=14]&quot;sit on my face and tell me that you love me&quot;[/size] -monty python <br />

theBEATLESrock_on

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 02:30:41 AM »

i play the 350v63 liverpool model!!!!

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 63 queries.