Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSAY WOODSTOCK!!  (Read 53108 times)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSAY WOODSTOCK!!
« on: August 16, 2009, 01:05:59 AM »

HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSARY WOODSTOCK!!!

The Woodstock Music and Arts Fair, which was held 40 years ago in Bethel, New York, was the embodiment of the peace and hippie movement and provided a triumphant exclamation point for the 1960s.  Yes, there were crippling traffic jams and plenty of drugs, nudity, rain and mud. But there was also the music – three days of iconic performances from an unprecedented array of artists, including the Who, Jimi Hendrix, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin, Joe Cocker, the Band, Santana, Arlo Guthrie, the Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Johnny Winter, Sly and the Family Stone, Joan Baez, Richie Havens and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

Jimi Hendrix-Woodstock-Voodoo Child

Richie Havens Freedom Woodstock 1969

Jefferson Airplane Saturday Afternoon Woodstock 1969

Santana - Soul Sacrifice (Woodstock 1969)

Creedence Clearwater Revival LIVE at Woodstock 69- I Put A Spell On You- 3rd Song

Janis Joplin - Piece of My Heart [live Woodstock] (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Crosby, Stills and Nash Suite: Judy Blue Eyes Woodstock 1969 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

The Band - Tears of Rage - Woodstock 69 (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSAY WOODSTOCK!!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 03:47:58 AM »

Arlo Guthrie - Coming Into Los Angeles - Woodstock 1969

"This is a walk down the road trip, you know?  Incredible!  I heard the New York State Thruway's closed.  Isn't that far out?"

"I don't know if you could ahhh....I don't know like how many of you can dig how many people there are, man.  Like I was rappin' to the fuzz. haha.  Right, can you dig it?  Man, there's supposed to be a million and a half people here by tonight!  Can you dig that?  The New York Sate Thruway's closed, man!  haha.  Yeah, it's far out, man!  Lotta freaks!"

Arlo Guthrie

Woodstock    Friday August 15, 1969

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 03:59:07 AM »

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 04:23:34 AM »

Happy Anniversary!  ;D

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »

wow, amazing picture there HelloGoodbye! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 09:16:16 PM »

wow, amazing picture there HelloGoodbye! :)

Can you dig it?  Yeah, it's far out, man!

;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 10:21:40 PM »

We are stardust....billion year-old carbon
We are golden.....and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Woodstock

Joni Mitchell-Woodstock (Big Sur Celebration)

Joni Mitchell

Live performance at Big Sur, September 14, 1969

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 08:47:57 AM »

I read an article in the newspaper over here last weekend and they stated that most of the myth of Woodstock is a legacy of the film that was made (and Martin Scorcese was involved). They way it was cut was an important thing. In the film, it looked as if Jimi Hendrix was the highlight of the festival. He was supposed to be, but because of numerous delays he did not perform until Monday in front of 'just' 10,000 people. Most of the audience had left by then. The film also showed about half of the groups that performed. A lot of people don't know that CCR was on Woodstock as well, but they didn't give permission to use the footage in the film.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:32 AM »

When you look at Woodstock realistically, you've gotta wonder if it really was all that great to be there. The sound was terrible (designed to reach 200.000 people at best), by many accounts most of the bands really didn't perform that well, there was some pretty bad weather, there was hardly anything to eat or drink, there hardly were decent toilets, in the end they were about half a day behind scedule, there was such a huge traffic jam that there were probably more people that didn't make the festival than people that did... If you'd have such a festival now, you'd probably have a HUGE riot and police shutting everything down.

But than again, the fact that that didn't happen is probably what made Woodstock so cool.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:39:06 AM »

This should be a cool movie... Can't wait to see it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_Woodstock

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 09:49:50 AM »

What's tragic by the way is that Max Yasgur (who owned the farm where the festival was held) was pretty much destroyed by the festival. His farm was ruined and he became an outcast in his town because everyone hated him for bringing the festival to Bethel. He died in 1973, just 53 years old.

But above that, the important thing that you've proven to the world is that a half a million kids — and I call you kids because I have children that are older than you are — a half million young people can get together and have three days of fun and music and have nothing but fun and music, and I God Bless You for it!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 02:08:15 PM »

When you look at Woodstock realistically, you've gotta wonder if it really was all that great to be there.

I guess Woodstock is the Sgt Pepper of rock festivals - not half as good as everyone remembers but more important for what it symbolised.
don't follow leaders

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 04:34:51 PM »

I've seen the film , can't say i was that impressed with the performances apart from Joe Cocker .
Suppose it's a nice time piece though .
Not a big Stones fan but there free concert in Hyde Park i think it was , is a better closer to the 60's ?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »

I think Woodstock became so legendary for three reasons:
1. Incredibly line-up.
2. Half a million people showed up.

And probably the most important reason:
3. Half a million people piled up under pretty miserable conditions but hardly any incidents. That probably gave people the impression that a world of love and peace was possible.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 03:20:37 AM »

....there was such a huge traffic jam that there were probably more people that didn't make the festival than people that did...

I can confirm that, Joost.  I made it as far as Monticello on Saturday that weekend.  Route 17B out to Bethel was closed.  There were cars parked on the road that far away (about 10 miles)!  There were a ton of people in Monticello and I met a girl named Barbara there.  We decided to walk out to the festival site.  We stopped in Mongaup Valley about 4 miles from Bethel.  We kind of liked each other and decided to go riding instead.  I knew a stables nearby as well as the trails in that area.  So we had a good time horseback riding in the country that day.  We had no idea at the time that the Woodstock Festival would become iconic.  It was just a typical hot, rainy summer weekend in the Catskill Mountains.  There was a concert in Bethel that we didn't have tickets for.

And Barbara and I found something else to do that day.

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 08:12:35 AM »

Nice memories. Thanks for sharing that Barry. What happened to Barbara?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »

Bobber, Barbara attended the same college I did, New York University, but she was downtown at Washington Square while I attended the University Heights campus in The Bronx.  We dated for a few months during the fall semester.  The realization set in several weeks later that we missed a big event.  But we took solace in the fact that we were in the Bethel area and, in a way, still part of the celebration.  Barbara and I enjoyed wooded trails in the country while others enjoyed music.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 02:14:58 AM »

Cor, you had me thinking about that weekend all day!  My cousin Norman and his girlfriend went to Bethel earlier in the week.  I was supposed to meet them there.  He parked his car along the road up on the rise you see in the upper right of the picture I posted.  He figured it would be well out of the way.  When they got back to the car on Monday, the hood, roof and rear deck were caved in.  People were sitting or standing on the car all weekend.  It was a brand new Mercury Cougar.

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 07:31:50 AM »

LOL! See, that happens when you arrive early. Again, thanks for sharing the memories.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »

We are stardust....billion year-old carbon
We are golden.....and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden.

Woodstock

Beautiful words!  I was thinking about Joni Mitchell's words to Woodstock today.  We are indeed "stardust" comprised of carbon-containing molecules formed several billion years ago (Joni was off by a few billion years).  I was also thinking of the Bible's "ashes to ashes, dust to dust."  I'm pretty sure Joni was referring to the allegorical Garden of Eden, creation of life and universal brotherhood of man. 

Cor, I'm happy that this "carbon unit" is around 40 years later to share my memories on this Forum.

Barry
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 84 queries.