Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: is sgt. pepper really that good?  (Read 11445 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: is sgt. pepper really that good?
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2005, 12:06:37 PM »

Quote from: newty
that's exactly it.
you have to realize that they were the first to do many of the things that are standart now. (isn't it also the first concept album? i am not sure. i am sorry, i haven't read all the posts here, maybe i am repeating much of what others have said..)
anyway, lots of the brilliance of st. peppers is down to george martin,too.

If a concept album is a collection of songs linked by a theme (which Pepper struggles to do) then The Beach Boys Little Deuce Coup ('63) was 12 songs about car culture. Pet Sounds, Mother of Inventions Freak Out and The Kinks Face to Face all qualify (if Pepper does) , and predate Pepper.
As far as I know the first album to follow an actual storyline, rather than a theme, was The Pretty Things SF Sorrow in '68.
There are some pre-rock qualifiers as well.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2005, 12:20:08 PM »

Days Of Future Passed from The Moody Blues is pretty early too.

newty

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2005, 12:33:32 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

If a concept album is a collection of songs linked by a theme (which Pepper struggles to do) then The Beach Boys Little Deuce Coup ('63) was 12 songs about car culture. Pet Sounds, Mother of Inventions Freak Out and The Kinks Face to Face all qualify (if Pepper does) , and predate Pepper.
As far as I know the first album to follow an actual storyline, rather than a theme, was The Pretty Things SF Sorrow in '68.
There are some pre-rock qualifiers as well.

true, sorry.
i was thinking of magical mystery tour.

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2005, 10:50:43 PM »

Sinatra was the one who really started 'theme' albums. "Come Dance With Me"-all songs about dancing. "Moonlight Sinatra", songs about the moon, etc. And of course the Torch albums.

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2005, 04:31:20 AM »

Why is it that people totally dislike Within you without you?

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2005, 05:01:02 PM »

I find WYWY rather boring, and definitely the weakest of the lot.  Lyrics can be as great as they can, but I'd rather have a solid melody and things like that to back it up, which WYWY doesn't really have.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2005, 11:27:36 PM »

I don't know when I came around to WYWY.  It used to bother me and I'd avoid it.  But then I really started to like it.  I always liked the lyric, but the melodic hook finally sank in.  

The instrumental track (on one of the anthologies, I think) is actually pretty cool.

But as for the song on SGT Peppers, I still think the thing is too long--maybe it ought to fade after the first 3 minutes for so, but give George (Martin and Harrison) credit for letting it go on to the bitter end.  It's as uncompromising as A Day in the Life in its own way.

I mean, think about it, two very negative songs (from a "pop song" point of view) grounding Pepper, the ultimate "Pop" or "Rock" album.  Pet Sounds is pretty down at times, but it's usually limited to  the singer's (Brian's) personal neuroses (e.g., I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, Caroline No) nothing as cosmic and dire as ADITL and WYWY.  

I wonder if the Beatles ever dared to get that dark again?  

Bobber

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2005, 12:53:00 PM »

I think that Within You Without You does not really fit in the album by means of sound. I admit I never really liked George's Indian stuff and compared to the other songs on Sgt Pepper, this Indian thing doesn't really work. The lyric might be deep and perhaps the melody is beautiful too, but this Indian sound just get to my nerves. I feel the same way about Love You To on Revolver. Songs to skip. I would love to hear versions of George's Indian-songs on an ordinary guitar, like demo versions perhaps. Wonder how that would sound.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2005, 12:54:14 PM »

^Spooky!!!! Our tastes seem very alike.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bobber

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2005, 07:33:13 AM »

(beer)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2005, 05:09:58 PM »

^One day!!! lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Wayne L.

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2005, 05:52:20 PM »

Sgt. Pepper is the Beatles psychedelic masterpiece which defines them during the so called summer of love back in 67 & the soundtrack to the hippies at the time but it's highly overrated almost 40 years later with only a few great tracks like Fixing A Hole, Good Morning Good Morning, Getting Better & A Day In The Life

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2005, 10:42:08 AM »

crazy! crazy! we're all crazy!!!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2005, 08:10:17 PM »

Quote from: pc31
crazy! crazy! we're all crazy!!!

YEAH, We ARE and its what we like to be!!! (dance)(bouncing1)(afraid5)

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2005, 12:39:30 PM »

It really is that good. If they had stayed with that style and musical complexity until they split I would be even more delighted with The Beatles.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Benreturns

• A Beginning
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2005, 12:05:13 AM »

Quote from: adamzero
I think the only really weak song on the album is "When I'm 64

I dont think this is a weak song. Its hard for alot of people to get into, but its a pastiche of an English tradition and I think that fits in well with the overall feel of the album in that alot of genres are touched on - why not a bit of olde english music hall vaudville?

Musically its quite minimal, but again that fits the style - melodically I think the song is very strong. Much more so than Within You Without you for example. One listen and you dont really forget the melody even if you dont like the song.

I think its a good example of a talent of Pauls - he was great at 'having a stab' at different musical genres and styles. She's Leaving home is classical, Got to Get you into my Life is his attempt at a soul/motowny thing, Im Down is pure Rock and Roll a la Little Richard, Yellow Submarine is his go at a childrens song,  Back in the USSR is an attempt at a beach boy parody and so on... (all examples used are by his own admission by the way!)

Bobber

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2005, 10:21:18 AM »

By the way, the harmonies in I'm Down are very Beach Boys-esque.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2005, 12:47:20 PM »

Within You, Without You is a great song from George. In my view the only Indian song he did which really works. I like Indian music. No prejudice, but, it's on the wrong album. Sgt. Pepper is arguably the first concept album. Something like a band metamorphoses into different types of band. Hence the Sgt. Pepper Reprise, and the 'encore' A Day In The Life. As far as I know that's what the concept was about. But, WYWY just doesn't gel well with that. Only A Northern Song, or All Too Much, would have served better (both recorded in 67). ATM maybe between Reprise and A Day In The Life.

The only thing about WYWY which does fit, coincidentally, is the laughter at the end of it. It fits with the audience sounds on Sgt. Pepper and Reprise. But WYWY appearing on Magical Mystery Tour or Yellow Submarine would have been better IMO.
All You Need Is LOVE!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2005, 03:31:05 PM »

I don't really dislike "When I'm 64"--I think it's the best of all of Paul's neo-vaudeville numbers (I like it better than "Honey Pie" and "Your Mother Should Know").

And who couldn't like "Vera, Chuck and Dave"?

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2005, 11:19:58 PM »

I know I sit quite comfortably in the Mccartney camp - so I admit I may sometimes be biased...

but

I generally love When I'm Sixty Four, and not for the quirky charm it's so famously known for. I honestly believe it fits perfectly in the Sgt Pepper mould. I think, like the White Album that follows, Peppers contains a dark unnerving feel; a disjointed psychedelic presence - which on the surface is colourful and optmistic...but below..is something quite different.
(This may be the same for some - or total nonsense for others)
I Just feel the Beatles captured the psychedelic feel (accidental or purposely) with an obvious sting in the tail. The Edwardian styled suits combined with the eery Victorian-esq museum feel of the album cover is haunting. The four Beatles coldly staring to the audience. If it's a rejoice to the changing times and revolutionary generation, then why are the four Beatles looking so serious & stern?

Songs such as A Day in the life, Being for the Benefit Mr. Kite, She's Leaving Home and even at second glance, Getting Better, all resonate an ironically colourless vibe:

'I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her from the
Things that she loved'

The song is of mild hope, although the sour & bitter past is constantly reminded...with even backing harmonies bringing the song back down to a more gritty level:

"A little better all the time" ...."It can't get no worse"

We all agree that Lennon's lead vocal on A Day In The Life is positively chilling. The end Piano chord not only signifies the end of the song, but the album itself. The full package.

I always think it's such a great 'sign of the times' because it's not a bubblegum view on love & peace. It's pretty rational, in terms of humanistic idealism.

Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 81 queries.