Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Last Waltz  (Read 14778 times)

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
Re: The Last Waltz
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2004, 05:01:03 AM »

perhaps it will have Ringo actually performing a song, instead of backup drumming.  I've always suspected that he performed but it got edited.  I dont own the dvd though so youll have to let me know

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2004, 05:09:18 AM »

That would be cool. They show Ringo for about five seconds in the movie. What's the point! I think they show Clapton doing another song. And Joni Mitchell and Neil Young doing a song together. I forget what else.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2004, 09:30:52 PM »

maybe ron wood will get a little more screen time too!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2004, 09:38:03 AM »

Meh, that's okay. What the heck was he even doing there in the first place??? Was he already a Rolling Stone at that time?

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2004, 05:37:55 PM »

yeah i think he might have left at that point

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2005, 09:03:36 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's Richard Manuel, not Jerry.  And if you want a real rock-n-roll read, check out Levon's autobiography "This Wheel's on Fire."  Seems like he ain't too happy with Robertson. 

I think the first two albums (Pink and the brown album) or Rock of Ages are the best place to start with The Band.  I like Last Waltz, okay, (see what Levon has to say about it) but it's like the third or fourth time they've released some of these songs so it's wearing a little thin. 

Neil Diamond was in the show because Robbie was producing him at the time (and had produced Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark).   It's a shame they couldn't have given Ringo a legitimate song to sing (like A Little Help from my Friends) instead of the last minute shuck-a-jive.  I also wish they'd done one of Neil's rocking songs from On the Beach (on which Danko and Levon played), instead of the ole folky whiner.

For me Van definitely stole the show.  He made all the rest of the guests seem like amateurs (except of course for Muddy Waters and Clapton, who blew Robbie out of the water on "Further on up the Road").  I wish Van and the Band had recorded a whole live album together. 

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 10:05:57 PM »

Very true Adam.  And yeah I always mess up Manuels name cause theres a former manager of a baseball team named Jerry Manuel.  I just mix the name up.  Anyway, I also think Van stole the show with that intense performance of Caravan.  But I did like the song Neil Diamond played, Robertson cowrote it too.  As for Levon Helm, I loved his book and I thought it was hilarious how he seems so gleeful over the fact that Robbies mike wasnt on for the concert, cause his singings so bad. 

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2005, 12:23:46 AM »

I like how Levon in his book manages to let it "slip" that although he's a short man he's well endowed. 

Still from the pictures above of Robertson there's either some bad plastic surgery or alien abduction. 

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2005, 03:14:21 AM »

yeah he looks kinda like somebody who should be on Little House on the Prairie

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2005, 07:45:39 PM »

Huh?? I think he looks pretty good for a guy who's almost 60! Better than most of his peers anyway. Ah well. And if his mike was off during the concert, than how come I can hear him? I think Levon must be a little bitter or something.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2005, 12:03:00 AM »

first off, robbie remixed nearly all the concert, as he wasnt happy with the recording.  second, youre probably hearing the other backing singers, such as danko or manuel, which the camera is raarely on.  And yes Levon was bitter, because the only one who was so commited to the finality of the Last Waltz was Robbie, mainly becasue his creativity was running out.  The others wanted to keep going and later reformed without him. 

I like the story of how Ronnie Hawkins, after attending the premiere, stood up in the theater and shouted, "That was good, but it could have used some more shots of Robbie!"

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2005, 01:45:37 AM »

Yes I'm hearing them, but I hear Robbie too. Like when he says things like "yeah" and so on. You know, when he gets into the song. I'm just saying that's what I heard. If his mike was off it was off. I don't really know the history of the band, so I don't get the sudden Robbie bashing. I mean he wrote all the songs didn't he? Who cares if he couldn't sing as well as the others. They wouldn't have anything to sing if he didn't write it in the first place.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2005, 02:24:59 AM »

But did he "write" the songs?  Did he write Garth Hudson's intro to "Chest Fever"?  Did he write all the lyrics to "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"? 

Manuel wrote and co-wrote some great songs on the first two albums.  'Lonesome Suzie" and "Tears of Rage" (lyrics by Dylan).  The problem, as least according to Levon, came when Robbie became the self-appointed "genius" of the group and moved away from the "workshop" method of writing to sole authorship.  Sound a little bit like Pink Floyd, doesn't it. 

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2005, 04:43:21 AM »

Yeah it does. But I know a lot more about Roger's ego trip than Robbie's! I thought he was the primary song writer of the Band. I think if the others were equal in song writing abilities they could have gone on without him more succesfully than they did. Sort of like Floyd again. Although post Waters Floyd did pretty well! Anyway, it seems the Band sort of fell apart without Robbie. But that's my very limited opinion. I really have very little knowledge of them. But I'm willing to learn!

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2005, 09:18:56 PM »

Yeah in the beginning, Robbie was the main lyric source, but they pretty much all pitched in, musically and lyrically.  But near the end of their days he viewed himself as the sole creative source of the Band, when it was their collective sound that attracted most people.  He wanted a big farewell for the Band, yet the rest of them wanted to keep going, but he ended it.  Althought they later reformed, after the finality of The Last Waltz it was hard for them to get respect again.  Manuel later killed himself and many blame Robbie's behavior in control of the band for it.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2005, 11:55:44 PM »

Well said.  And then Robbie turns around and writes that "Angel" song for Manuel.  He's a real Kee-mo-sa-be.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2005, 12:12:47 AM »

yup.  Well im not saying he's all bad, but there were definately problems near the end.  He did write and play some awesome songs

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2005, 01:53:11 AM »

I don't think Robbie had anything to do with Manuel's suicide. I think an issue with depression is usually the factor. Most people don't kill themselves because they're p*ssed off at some guy. I think you have to be mentally ill to actually do that. Not that people don't think of it, especially teenagers who have fluctuating emotions, but a grown man? I think he probably needed help. But to blame Robbie? He just left his band that's all. Like so many others. I think Levon's side of the story should be taken with a grain of salt.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2005, 02:08:35 AM »

Levon doesnt claim that Robbie caused Manuels suicide.  Some people do.  The collapse of the Band doubtless had a large impact on Manuels life and contributed to his depression.  Its a pity.  But youre right to take Helm's story with a grain of salt, as he was very bitter.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2005, 02:24:26 AM »

Right. I wasn't thinking Levon would actually say that. But I think his bitterness contributes to creating a poor image for Robbie. I don't know the circumstances behind Manuel's death, but I know it was many years later and he was touring with the other guys. How bad could life have been? Why do so many band break up with such bitterness!!!! I don't get it. Can't they just move on without all that crap.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 76 queries.