Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bee Gees were the most?  (Read 12977 times)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
Re: Bee Gees were the most?
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 11:38:16 AM »

Hi Jane, I saw your post to me in the other thread.  :)  I am glad you're enjoying the Bee Gees' music too.  I like them a lot; their music is fantastic (but the Beatles will always be number one for me ;) ).  I enjoy both their early work and their disco music.  How about you?

I also spotted this story on Wikipedia about the Bee Gees and thought it was amusing:

Stigwood proclaimed that the Bee Gees were "The Most Significant New Talent Of 1967" and thus began the immediate comparison to The Beatles. Their first British single, "New York Mining Disaster 1941," was issued to radio station DJs with a blank white label with only the song title. Many DJs immediately assumed this was a new Beatles single and started playing the song in heavy rotation. This helped the song climb into the Top 20 in both the UK and the U.S. Only later did they realize that it was not The Beatles but in fact the Bee Gees, when their second single was released, "To Love Somebody" and again climbed into the Top 20 in the U.S.

You have to feel sorry for some of the up-and-coming bands in the Sixties, being compared to the Beatles!  Talk about pressure.   :-/

BlueMeanie

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »

Hope you guys don't mind, I've merged your Bee Gees thread with an older one.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 11:52:38 AM »

^  No problem, BM, thanks for keeping things organized!

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 10:09:49 PM »

Hi, Penny Lane! Yes, I like their disco music but still less than the early stuff. The early songs are very melodic, beautiful, of a special Bee Gees style. To Love Somebody is a great song. But I can`t believe somebody could have confused them with the Beatles! What about the voices and the manner of singing? Were DJs so incompetent at that time?
In general I don`t like Disco, but Bee Gees disco is somehow nice for me. Besides, I adore the film Saturday Night Fever with John Travolta. The plot is trivial but the film is well-made with Bee Gees songs. And John is so young and handsome there, dancing his classical disco dance, which has become well-known to everybody. I love him there!  :) Have you seen the film?
I also assume that the pressure in the 60s was great. But we have to ask our senior posters about it. Especially the witnesses of the events, the first-hand experiencers.

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2009, 11:22:33 PM »

i like The Bee Gees to an extent.Some of their early stuff is quite good.Harry Braff is an outstanding tune.World is another.Ive meaning to get their 1st few albums for some time.The group are featured in a fairly little known gem of a film called Melody(1971).The songs ,I think,are from 1968/69.Jack Hawkins stars in this.Actually,the BGs themselves dont appear in the film,but about 6 songs are used for the soundtrack.Melody itself is a lovely song.
Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 01:00:56 AM »

Quote from: 1610
i like The Bee Gees to an extent.Some of their early stuff is quite good.Harry Braff is an outstanding tune.World is another.Ive meaning to get their 1st few albums for some time.The group are featured in a fairly little known gem of a film called Melody(1971).The songs ,I think,are from 1968/69.Jack Hawkins stars in this.Actually,the BGs themselves dont appear in the film,but about 6 songs are used for the soundtrack.Melody itself is a lovely song.

I keep meaning to get their first album too , i got Bee Gees "Greatest"(1979) before Christmas it's a remasterd CD of all the disco period songs and it's really quite good a lot of those songs still hold up "Wind Of Change" and "Nights On Broadway" i really like .
There are half a dozen new remix 's on this CD which don't work however .

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2009, 01:54:24 AM »

gotta be honest.im not keen on the disco stuff,really.they were quite an interesting group early on.and withthe Melody film,i meant Jack Wilde,not Hawkins,LOL

BlueMeanie

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2009, 09:17:58 AM »

.and withthe Melody film,i meant Jack Wilde,not Hawkins,LOL

Slight difference in age! ;)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2009, 10:04:08 AM »

Quote from: 1393
Besides, I adore the film Saturday Night Fever with John Travolta. The plot is trivial but the film is well-made with Bee Gees songs. And John is so young and handsome there, dancing his classical disco dance, which has become well-known to everybody. I love him there!  :) Have you seen the film?

I've only seen a part of it, and that was many years ago.

And now I'll throw in this Bee Gees video just for fun:

3MimhntJK6Y

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2009, 10:35:30 PM »

Why, do they have the song called Wind Of Change? Like the Scorpions?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »

Finally got round to buying the "Bee Gees 1st " (1967) and i must say it's a 10 out of 10 masterpiece of an album.
Only The Beatles have recorded  better albums than this .
I knew four of the tracks from Bee Gees compilations , but had never heard this album until this weekend , released 8 weeks after Sgt.Pepper's it's andacious kind of psychedelic trip.
But more like that slow comedown from a high kind of trip, were your mind wallows in beautiful dreamy pools of rainbow light ( Think thats what you call Flashback memory that sentance lol
 But i thought only Lennon could write a trippy lyric , but "Red Chair Fade Away " by Robin and Barry Gibb come's close to him on this trippy song.
 And Marice Gibbs use of the "Mellotron" evokes Strawberry Fields, a very Beatle sounding song really as are several on this album .
Infact one track i believe to be The Beatles "In My Own Time" is just like them , it's the best mimic of them i've ever heard .
Quite simply one of the best albums ever  (thumbsup)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 10:12:39 PM »

^^^^^^Here are the two songs from the Bee Gess 1st album i mentioned in the above post , tell me that In My Own Time is'nt the best rip off of The Beatles  ever ?
All the songs on the album are this standard it's a masterpiece , i tell you  .

HolchHOe7eM

4bXB9vFcs_A

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »

Forgot to say this albums been remastered and their is a stereo and mono mix of the album and a second CD of different takes and unreleased tracks of the period.
And did i say it's a masterpiece lol

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »

i agree even tho it is songs built up over a few years...the whole thing is t totally awesome....

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2009, 09:39:23 PM »

Ive been toying with buying their first album for a while now.Been totally swayed.Its near the very top of my list.Looking forward to hearing it in its entirity.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2009, 08:36:25 AM »

Ive been toying with buying their first album for a while now.Been totally swayed.Its near the very top of my list.Looking forward to hearing it in its entirity.

I'm totally knocked out by this album , i'm playing it none stop, not one of the 14 songs is a dud.
Everything about it i love , inparticular i'm very impressed by Robin's singing his voice is really powerful and emotional his performance on "I can't See Nobody" is one of the best vocals i've heard from a man ?
 "Turn Of The Century " and "Craise Finton Kirk  are just such Beatle sounding songs ?
Don't think you will be disaponted by this album Python it's a stunner .

The amazing Robin singing "I can't See Nobody"

A2zuNt2EOUY

Tp2eFroUr8U

Johnny Young - covering Craise Finton Kirk

9Kxfq-E0G3Y

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »

Quote from: 284
i agree even tho it is songs built up over a few years...the whole thing is t totally awesome....

Agree totally awesome

Juppel50

• One And One Is Two
Bee Gees were the most?
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »

I love them...they are my wife's favorite group.

nimrod

« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2014, 11:59:09 PM »

KelMar

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:51 PM »

I remember when they walked off a prime time tv chat show, that guy Clive whatsit was THE tosser

I had to look up the word tosser in the Urban Dictionary and from what I just saw in that video I can say that Clive Anderson was definitely the first word in the definition! Even though I traded my Saturday Night Fever album for the first Styx album (another band that lost me in the 80's) I would call myself fan of the Bee Gee's music; especially their early work. I've never really seen them interviewed but now I'm also a fan of their personalities. They certainly gave Clive every opportunity to stop being a tosser but he was hopeless!

Bee Gees Way is located off Redcliffe Parade, Redcliffe and includes a life-size statue, 60 photographs, 13 album covers, a mural of the band as well as songs and captions provided by Barry Gibb.

https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/gener ... ?id=119400

I couldn't get that link to work but this seems to be it: Bee Gees Way

If I ever get to Australia that will be on my list of things to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 80 queries.