Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Pattie Boyd's tell-all book coming in August  (Read 42217 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Pattie Boyd's tell-all book coming in August
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 01:50:34 AM »

Well, I happen to like Pattie. She seems pretty intelligent, and you have to admit she went through A LOT. I can't blame her for wanting to write a book to counter-attack Eric, but I think she will lose a lot of respect for doing this.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

• A Beginning
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 03:43:21 AM »

True.  Why does she need to defend anything?  Layla and whatever aside but she was in the cog.  It's pretty well known anyways.  I can't imagine that Clapton could say anything horrible about her, but who knows.  His history is so rich with his music and history, I don't know how much attention he could pay to their sordid history, I mean, great, he pined for his best friend's wife and wrote one of his greatest songs for her, but one would hope that he would focus on his music rather than tabloid stuff.
What time does the Bus leave?<br /><br />The opinons expressed by 834 are solely maintained by 834 and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of other members or management of this site.  They are not meant to offend or insult, they are just

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 05:28:04 AM »

If nothing else, Pattie was the best looking Beatle wife.

Just thought i'd throw that out there.

(Dammit just remembered Barbara. Oh well.)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 03:40:57 PM »

Quote from: 373
If nothing else, Pattie was the best looking Beatle wife.

Just thought i'd throw that out there.

(Dammit just remembered Barbara. Oh well.)

Well, i dunno. Maureen was pretty damn cute!  :B
I think she was my fav of the Beatle wives, god bless her.
 :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 11:20:35 AM »

I'm in favour of any book that can give us some additional insight into the band. It all helps build the bigger picture.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 02:20:50 PM »

Quote from: 185
I'm in favour of any book that can give us some additional insight into the band. It all helps build the bigger picture.
I only hope that it does. These excerpts, such as Bobber kindly posted, are pretty dry and superficial. It would be nice to think the book fleshes out her experience a little more, so I feel as if I'm seeing some of the Beatles phenomenon through her eyes. But I'll find out shortly!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2007, 02:24:31 PM »

I'm fully prepared for it be trite rubbish. But you got to take the good with the bad, weigh the evidence yaddy yadda (why am I telling YOU this?)
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2007, 02:44:10 PM »

Because I'm listening?  ;)

Cheers.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »

I'm dissapointed in her. I thought she was beyond this. But oh well. Maybe if I had her stories I'd want to share them too. Who knows.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2007, 12:28:56 AM »

Is it for sure coming out at the end of August in the U.S. ?

I'm gonna add it to my Birthday list! ;)

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2007, 02:13:19 AM »

According to Amazon, it will be released on August 28, 2007.  I already have mine on order. :)

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2007, 03:55:41 PM »

Cool...putting that on my birthday list! ;)

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2007, 09:34:39 PM »

I'll read it. I'm not much of a Patti fan...but hey, it does look interesting.

And I really want to read 'I Was Only There to Walk Martha, and Look What Happened!" ;)
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2007, 01:10:50 AM »

Quote from: 669
And I really want to read 'I Was Only There to Walk Martha, and Look What Happened!" ;)

This will be the most truly revealing book. It is filled with panting and lolling tongues and doggie biscuits, where "doggie biscuits" can mean anything you like... ;)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2007, 01:38:18 AM »

Funny thread about walking Martha!

Reading that excerpt from Patti Boyd Harrison's book, I just have one question - how do these guys stay friends after sleeping with each other's wives? I mean, George still being friend's with Eric Clapton? And ESPECIALLY Ringo still being friends with George after George slept with his wife?

I never knew that last one. I feel sorry for Ringo ...
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2007, 02:12:07 AM »

Well, we'll have to see if Pattie can help clear this up. I think it's interesting that (according to Pattie) Ringo didn't think anything odd about Maureen not coming home until Pattie pointed it out to him. From her account, I think Mo was trying to get R's attention. Since P and G had already drifted apart, she picked G!

I really don't know. I wasn't part of the "free love" era. But I think in both cases there was distance between the husbands and wives, and instead of trying to work the problems out (as we do routinely today through counseling), the 60s people had no such resources, so just resorted to the old "Hah! He's ignoring me... this will make him jealous!"

G has said many times about Eric, "Pattie and I were basically done with each other when she took up with him", so it was more like Pattie moved on to another relationship. I think P&G wished each other well, but weren't in love anymore. As far as G making peace with R, I don't know that much about it. R did decide to leave Mo, which really hurt her. (She tried to commit suicide by driving into a wall.) So I would have to say R was through with M also and ready to move on. But there was a good bit of wife-swapping going on in the swinging set anyway at that time (and still is, for all I know), so I don't think all this sleeping around was as shocking to this group of people as it might be to those of us from a more traditional "one relationship at a time" background.

But I really don't know the answers. I hope P's book will shed some light. At the very least, we'll learn the way she rationalized it to herself.

Bobber

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2007, 08:57:41 AM »

Another excerpt:

We met secretly at a flat in South Kensington. Eric Clapton had asked me to come because he wanted me to listen to a new number he had written.

He switched on the tape machine, turned up the volume and played me the most powerful, moving song I had ever heard. It was Layla, about a man who falls hopelessly in love with a woman who loves him but is unavailable.

He played it to me two or three times, all the while watching my face intently for my reaction. My first thought was: 'Oh God, everyone's going to know this is about me.'

I was married to Eric's close friend, George Harrison, but Eric had been making his desire for me clear for months. I felt uncomfortable that he was pushing me in a direction in which I wasn't certain I wanted to go.

But with the realisation that I had inspired such passion and creativity, the song got the better of me. I could resist no longer.

That evening I was going to the theatre to see Oh! Calcutta! with a friend and then on to a party at the home of pop impresario Robert Stigwood. George didn't want to go to the show or the party.

After the interval at Oh!Calcutta! I came back to find Eric in the next seat, having persuaded a stranger to swap places with him. Afterwards we went to Robert's house separately but we were soon together. It was a great party and I felt elated by what had happened earlier in the day but also deeply guilty.

During the early hours, George appeared. He was morose and his mood was not improved by walking into a party that had been going on for several hours and where most of the guests were high on drugs.

He kept asking 'Where's Pattie?' but no one seemed to know. He was about to leave when he spotted me in the garden with Eric. It was just getting light, and very misty. George came over and demanded: 'What's going on?' To my horror, Eric said: 'I have to tell you, man, that I'm in love with your wife.'

I wanted to die. George was furious. He turned to me and said: 'Well, are you going with him or coming with me?'

I had met George six years previously, in 1964, when he was filming A Hard Day's Night. Britain and most of Europe was in the grip of Beatlemania.

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr were mobbed everywhere they went, and at their concerts thousands of hysterical teenagers cried and screamed so loudly that no one could hear the music.

2). Shortly before they started shooting A Hard Day's Night, The Beatles took America by storm. In February 1964 they appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show, one of America's most prestigious programmes, and attracted an audience of 73million.

I was a model, working with some of the most successful photographers in London, including David Bailey and Terence Donovan. I was appearing in newspapers and magazines such as Vanity Fair and Vogue, but in March my agent sent me along to a casting session for a film.

She called later to tell me I had been offered the part of a schoolgirl fan in a Beatles film. On first impressions, John seemed more cynical and brash than the others, Ringo the most endearing, Paul was cute and George, with velvet-brown eyes and dark chestnut hair, was the best-looking man I had ever seen. At a break for lunch I found myself sitting next to him. Being close to him was electrifying.

Almost the first thing he said to me was: 'Will you marry me?' He was joking but there was a hint of seriousness. We got together soon after that and married two years later on January 21, 1966. I was 21, he was 22. I was so happy and so much in love. I thought we would be together and happy for ever.

Three years later, in 1969, George wrote a song called Something. He told me in a matter-of-fact way that he had written it for me. I thought it was beautiful and it turned out to be the most successful song he ever wrote, with more than 150 cover versions.

Frank Sinatra said he thought it was the best love song ever written. George's favourite version was the one by James Brown. Mine was the one by George Harrison, which he played to me in our kitchen.

But, in fact, by then our relationship was in trouble. Since a trip to the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram in India in 1968, George had become obsessive about meditation. He was also sometimes withdrawn and depressed.

My moods started to mirror his and at times I felt almost suicidal. I don't think I was ever in any real danger of killing myself but I got as far as working out how I would do it: put on a diaphanous Ossie Clark dress and throw myself off Beachy Head.

And there were other women, which really hurt me. George was fascinated by the god Krishna who was always surrounded by young maidens. He came back from India wanting to be some kind of Krishna figure, a spiritual being with lots of concubines. He actually said so.

No woman was out of bounds. I was friendly with a French girl who was going out with Eric Clapton. When she and Eric broke up, she came to stay with us at our house, Kinfauns, in Esher, Surrey.

3). She didn't seem remotely upset about Eric and was uncomfortably close to George. Something was going on between them but when I questioned George he told me my imagination was running away with me, that I was paranoid.

I left to stay with friends and within days George phoned to say the girl had gone. I returned home but I was shocked that he could do such a thing to me. I felt unloved and miserable.

It was around this time that Eric began to come over to our house. He and George had become close friends, writing and recording music together.

Eric's guitar playing was held in awe by his fellow musicians. Graffiti declaring 'Clapton is God' had been scrawled on the London Underground, and he was an incredibly exciting performer to watch. He looked wonderful on stage, very sexy.

But when I met him he didn't behave like a rock star

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2007, 09:15:07 AM »

Excellent. I like the bit about George using his Krishnaness as an excuse for screwing around. Nice to see  maybe he remained human after all.
don't follow leaders

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »

Quote from: 568
Reading that excerpt from Patti Boyd Harrison's book, I just have one question - how do these guys stay friends after sleeping with each other's wives? I mean, George still being friend's with Eric Clapton? And ESPECIALLY Ringo still being friends with George after George slept with his wife?

I never knew that last one. I feel sorry for Ringo ...

Have you ever wondered how ABBA stayed together? And them not only swinging round but writing songs bout it too! Have you seen Phone Booth? I think guys mainly operate on the "hotel-motel" principal... And i dont blame them... I read that Ringo slept with others while Mo was waiting for him to return from a tour or something (and she knew that). So as HH said, it is all "free love" ans as we know from John "love is free, free is love"

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 93 queries.