Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Pattie Boyd's tell-all book coming in August  (Read 42201 times)

Re: Pattie Boyd's tell-all book coming in August
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2007, 09:09:17 PM »

Did anyone see Patty Boyd on "Fox and Friends" last week on tv ? She's promoting her very first autobiography. Havent gotten a chance to read it yet, but I sure hope she's kind to George and Clapton in it.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2007, 10:59:30 PM »

She is generally kind to George and very forgiving of everybody. There were a few excerpts published in advance of the book that highlighted the problems she had when she and George were breaking up, but that's the media focusing on the naughtiest bits and is not the overall tone of the book. She has 4 happy years with George and then thinks, "What happened?" She doesn't provide any insights, because she doesn't understand it herself. (I have my theories on that, which I'll capture at some point.)

Her marriage to Clapton sounds like a nightmare, and the reader is sure to wonder why she ever said yes, given the circumstances. But the focus is on surviving a bad situation with an alcoholic partner. She basically says, "Here's what you can do, here's what you can't, and it took me way too long to learn that." She makes a point of saying how she and George made up long ago-- she said he was "like an older brother" for years-- and how she and Eric are friends.

She asked Eric's permission to publish his love letters, and she asked Ringo's permission to talk about the Maureen affair. There's a lot she doesn't talk about, either, to the disappointment of those who wanted a more lurid tale. Peter Brown's "The Love You Make" was a nasty, gossippy piece. Pattie's story is more her own journey to try to understand how she ended up where she did.

I find it interesting that Cynthia (in her books) put a great deal of thought into what she thought John needed to make him happy. Both books were full of her care-taking type thoughts: how can I support him, make life stable, make him comfortable? In contrast, Pattie is a party animal. She likes George because he's handsome and funny. When things started to fall apart, she had no idea how to hold it together, because I don't think she ever really knew the man she married. Not a surprising outcome when you tie the knot at 21 and 22.

Didn't mean to ramble on so! I'll pull my thoughts together and post something a little more coherent about the book. Cheers!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2007, 11:10:12 PM »

Quote from: 551

Didn't mean to ramble on so! I'll pull my thoughts together and post something a little more coherent about the book. Cheers!

it was very coherent, hari..thx, I learned a lot I didn't know about the "Patty" P.O.V.

(yeah, I do feel Cynthia was a more mature type of woman--look how she kept her total dignity during the time John was leaving her for Yoko. I always respected her for that, even though ironically, I think we all came to love and respect Yoko as well for entirely different reasons)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2007, 12:20:07 AM »

I dont think Patty had 4 happy years with George. It was always said (even by George) that he didnt pay any attention to her.

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2007, 10:59:05 AM »

Quote from: 185
Excellent. I like the bit about George using his Krishnaness as an excuse for screwing around. Nice to see  maybe he remained human after all.

You clearly do not understand what you are talking about. Nor does Patti Boyd seem to either.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2007, 11:36:28 AM »

Quote from: 779

Nor does Patti Boyd seem to either.

What line of thought has led you to be so sure?
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2007, 01:56:25 PM »

Quote from: 373
I dont think Patty had 4 happy years with George. It was always said (even by George) that he didnt pay any attention to her.
Sorry, Tk, what I meant to say was, this is how the book is written. We have the falling in love and the dating and the setting up house chapter and all that, and Pattie doesn't begin to go into any troubles until at least 4 nice George chapters. It is pretty easy to see the problems lurking when you read it, but it's not a George-bashing book on balance. She doesn't get upset (in print) until '68, and then she just seems mystified.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2007, 02:44:21 PM »

Quote from: 185

What line of thought has led you to be so sure?

Why are you sure that I'm so sure? I said seems. She seems out of her depth when George got a bit momentous. I think that you can grow out of people and social groups. Is that a clear answer?

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2007, 10:43:14 PM »

This book is on my Christmas List now! :)
I flicked through it at a bookshop last week & it looks such
a great read! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2007, 04:39:16 AM »

Pattie Boyd Interview (Aug 2007)

Part 1
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUYXB15XGGc" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUYXB15XGGc</a>

Part 2
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8o78IhTrMw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8o78IhTrMw</a>

Part 3
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmV_FS-PJM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crmV_FS-PJM</a>

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2007, 08:51:35 AM »

Quote from: 779

Why are you sure that I'm so sure? I said seems. She seems out of her depth when George got a bit momentous. I think that you can grow out of people and social groups. Is that a clear answer?

Yes. Thankyou very much.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2007, 09:33:09 AM »

Anybody read it?

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 01:11:28 AM »

On recent trips to the library I've been reading Pattie Boyd Harrison Clapton's autobiography, titled You Look Wonderful Tonight (I think), featuring a colorful cover photo of Pattie in hippie regalia circa late '60s.  Yesterday I finished the chapter documenting the end of her marriage to George, the chapter ending with Pattie leaving England and joining Eric Clapton during his U.S. tour.

Has anyone else read it?

I think it's a long-overdue book; Pattie has a perspective unique among famous rock wives -- although I'm sure no one's been counting, I'd bet that Pattie has inspired more great love songs than any other woman.

Pattie seems down to earth (possibly due to her less than ideal family life during childhood) yet unaffected by the whirlwind going on around her.  She's open and not ashamed of the drug use which she partook in, including a one-time experiment with heroin, even after she was fully aware that Eric had sunk into a 4-year smack addiction, ostensibly because of her (he showed her a packet of heroin in 1970 and told her that if she didn't leave George for him, he'd use the stuff; and he did).  She justifies it by saying "I'll try everything once."

George doesn't come off looking so great in this book (maybe Pattie was reluctant to write this while he was still alive).  The first two years of their marriage seem idyllic, but when George went deeper down the Eastern spiritual path, things started changing.  He flaunted his affairs in front of her, even sometimes moving girlfriends into the house for short periods.  He spent long stretches of time doing his chanting and was impossible to communicate with during these times.  He moved the Hare Krishnas into their Friar Park estate; besides taking over the house, they basically drove Pattie out of the kitchen -- cooking had become Pattie's love in life and when she could no longer cook for her husband, she became more unhappy, and was finally driven into the arms of Mr. Clapton -- before she rejected him and he turned to the smack.

And am I the only Beatles fan who didn't know that George cheated on his wife -- openly -- with Maureen Starkey, RINGO'S WIFE?!   That was a shocker.

Any thoughts on the life story of Pattie Boyd?  It's been a pretty good read so far.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 01:38:31 AM »

I think there are some threads about the book somewhere around here.  I have the book I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.  

You do have to remember though there are many sides to every story.  This is just one perspective.  I am not standing up for anyone, just saying.

And yes, George was a player  ;D

I should really start reading it.  I have Clapton's recent book also I haven't gotten to yet.
<br />

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2008, 02:52:00 AM »

I'll be reading Clapton's autobio next.

My one complaint about Pattie's story (so far) is that up until the last chapter or two, it didn't feel that 'in-depth.'  I mean, Pattie described the vacations and honeymoons and how cute George was, yet it all seemed a little shallow.  I wasn't necessarily hoping to read all about George's lovemaking techniques or genitalia size, but.... I wanted more from Pattie in terms of what she was really experiencing during that era.  Ultimately -- and this is not a slam on Pattie, even though it may sound that way -- Pattie was/is what she was/is.... a great-looking model who married a Beatle and then Eric Clapton.  She's no idiot; and she's not Einstein -- or even Yoko Ono -- either.

There's a great passage in the book when Eric Clapton visits Friar Park around '74, and George (feeling the heat that Eric is putting on his marriage) pulls out a couple guitars and two amps into the hallway.  In front of Pattie, they do an old-fashioned duel on guitars.

Eric won.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2008, 03:18:20 AM »

I want to know every dirty little details!  8)  is that too much to ask  ;D
<br />

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2008, 05:13:01 AM »

Quote from: 1204
I want to know every dirty little details!  8)  is that too much to ask  ;D

Yeah please give us the second craziest thing you can find.(I found out about the affair reading a review or something about the book and yeah, it was pretty freaking shocking.)

Haha so far I've read that pretty much every Beatle was an total jerk, except for maybe Ringo, but I don't think that there are too many biographies out there for him, so, who knows?

It's really surprisong what all these Beatles did in their prime back in the 60s. You have this idea of how they are and then WOW you read something that totally freakin blows your mind about them.

Another crazy fact (or myth): The Beatles were all in the room while George was losing his virginity!How crazy is that!?!?

DoBotherMe

• A Beginning
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »

I want to know every dirty little details!    is that too much to ask  

Me too! Dana ; )

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2008, 11:40:30 PM »

I've giving this thread a much-deserved bump because the thread I started a couple of days ago ("Who's read Pattie's autobiography?," post #52) was moved to this forum and then merged with this thread, which is buried god knows where in the books forum.

Having read the other posts in this thread, I find it a little surprising that a few posters have taken a self-righteous attitude toward Pattie's decision to write her story.  I'm surprised she didn't write it years ago.  It's certainly a story worth telling, even if Pattie doesn't appear to be the world's deepest thinker.  Clapton wrote his (which comically is sitting right next to Pattie's book at the local library), and George wrote his autobiography.  So why not Pattie?  As far as it being gossipy, well duh!  Isn't that a lot of what makes these forums fun?

Yesterday I finished the chapter about Pattie's pre-marriage relationship with Clapton.  More craziness, non-stop drinking, being forced to watch boring movies with Elvis, Pattie putting up with Eric's bad table manners and (compared to George) less-refined social skills.

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2008, 11:43:28 PM »

Wow, now I'm finding out that this is in the George Harrison forum.  It belongs in the books forum, in my opinion.  No big deal I guess.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 80 queries.