Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles vs The Four Seasons  (Read 1736 times)

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
The Beatles vs The Four Seasons
« on: April 13, 2008, 08:41:31 PM »

http://www.eskimo.com/~bpentium/beatles/seasons.html

The Beatles Vs. The Four Seasons
Although the Beatles had a (suspicious) top 20 hit in the UK with "Love Me Do," EMI affiliates outside England were reluctant to pick up the single. The US affiliate, Capitol records, declined to issue the single. When it came time for the Beatles second single to be issued, Capitol again passed on their opportunity to issue Beatles records. Vee Jay Records, a Chicago-based record label known mainly for gospel and R&B (and the Four Seasons), picked up the Beatles US contract. Record released Feb 25, 1963.

On Oct. 1, 1964, Vee Jay packaged its Introducing the Beatles album together with The Golden Hits of the Four Seasons. It called the collection "The Beatles Vs. The Four Seasons." The front cover featured new drawings of the Beatles and the Four Seasons, plus listings of all the songs. The back cover featured a 'scorecard'. The album was issued with a poster which featured the drawings of the Beatles from the VJ 587 picture sleeve.

I had no idea! Just happened to be looking around for more info on the band The 4 Seasons and ran across this!

Not that I don't like The 4 Seasons, after all they do have a number of hits and just happen to be from my home state of New Jersey, HOWEVER there is obviously no comparison between the two groups! 8) I guess maybe because The Beatles had not really made a name for themselves at this point in the states and The 4 Seasons had they thought maybe this was a good way to market and get The Beatles name out there?

I just thought I would share this, not sure if it's been discussed before or not.
<br />
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Beatles vs The Four Seasons
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 12:50:23 PM »

Quote from: 1204
Not that I don't like The 4 Seasons, after all they do have a number of hits and just happen to be from my home state of New Jersey, HOWEVER there is obviously no comparison between the two groups! 8) I guess maybe because The Beatles had not really made a name for themselves at this point in the states and The 4 Seasons had they thought maybe this was a good way to market and get The Beatles name out there?

In October 1964 The Beatles were already the biggest thing in America. Veejay were in financial crap, had rights to a few early Beatles songs and The Four Seasons were their biggest act - it was a bit of cynical marketting to try and squeeze out some extra cash from the kids.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 02:06:26 PM »

I believe the record is a collectors item these days.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 11:49:53 PM »

Quote from: 185

In October 1964 The Beatles were already the biggest thing in America. Veejay were in financial crap, had rights to a few early Beatles songs and The Four Seasons were their biggest act - it was a bit of cynical marketting to try and squeeze out some extra cash from the kids.

Cool, thanks. :) Anything for the almighty dollar!
<br />

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:06:32 AM »

Well, Frankie Valli at least did a guest star stint on the Sopranos.... ;D

*sings* Walk Like a Man, Talk Like a Man..

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:25:15 AM »

I love the Sopranos :)
They filmed alot of that show in Kearny, NJ which is my hometown  8)

Kind of off topic but if any new artist came out that sang like Frankie Valli, I don't think they would make it.  His voice was for that time era, he came at just the right time and made it big.
<br />

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 12:31:51 AM »

My hometown is Ridgewood, NJ

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 12:43:25 AM »

How cool! I was born in Hackensack and lived in Lodi for awhile until we moved out California.  My whole family lives in Kearny still.  Small world!
<br />

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 09:50:30 PM »

Yep, lived in Wykoff, Paramus, Closter, Teaneck and a few other places in NJ. I also lived in Cali in 80's (Pacific Grove, near Monterey)and NC. (Wilmington) ..but I took my love for the FAB everywhere I went !!! :)

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 54 queries.