Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Big John Lennon CD news - solo remasters  (Read 8220 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Big John Lennon CD news - solo remasters
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 09:38:24 PM »

I've bought remasters of several CDs that I already owned (some of the Beatles remasters and several others as well) but I've never been able to hear any real difference apart from the music sounding a bit louder and a hardly audible bit clearer.

Dischord Records (a punk/indie label from DC) has released remastered versions of several albums from their catalogue through the years, this is what they have to say about their remasters in the FAQs on their site. Quite refreshing that they're realistic enough to acknowledge that a remaster is just the same album but just very slightly adjusted to today's standards, and not a "new" release that should be purchased again, unless you're an audiophile.

Tell me about the re-mastered CDs. Should I replace my original CDs?

Our main objective with the Re-mastered Series is to present CDs that are faithful to their original recordings. These CDs were re-mastered directly from the original source tapes by Silver Sonya in Arlington, VA. Digital sound technology has improved dramatically since the late 80s/early 90s when many of the albums from our catalog were first transferred onto the CD format. While the quality of the original CDs was state of the art for their time, it became clear to us around 2001 that as older titles came up for scheduled re-pressings we should replace their masters with new ones to take advantage of the improved technology.

There is nothing defective with the quality of the original CDs and no need to replace the copies you already own if you enjoy them. To the casual listener the main difference between the old and the new is a slight boost in volume and clarity.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:33:12 PM by Joost »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2010, 07:54:56 AM »

That's interesting. You should have posted this a year earlier. ha2ha

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2010, 02:16:06 PM »

This has Remaster 2010 written all over it. I was just wondering, was the compilation 5 years ago not remastered?

They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 08:11:34 AM »

The Hits, The Best Of, Shaved Fish, The Definite Collection... How long can a cow be milked?

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »

The other has a DVD with promo videos and if its different from the video's on Lennon Legend DVD it be interesting. Though I'm like everyone else if the cds are the same as the remasters I won't bother even though I have all remasatered except my Imagine album is a orginal haha. Defantly be getting DF Stripped Down though heres the trailer for the releases

John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth Campaign Trailer
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:20:35 AM by Euan Buchan »

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 06:29:09 PM »

Attention the Stripped Cd is not included in the Box
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:20:43 PM by Badgirl66 »

Bighead

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2010, 04:45:20 AM »

It was so right that Stripped down is not included in the signature box.   This is a horrible desecration of the last batch of songs he spent so much time and energy crafting to a specific sound.  That was where John was at the time.  Whatever it is that artists are doing now has nothing at all to do with what John Lennon as an artist did in 1980.  The vibe he wanted to convey to the world in 'Starting Over' and 'Watching the Wheels' has been utterly and maliciously "stripped"  for monetary gain.  The Majesty that is 'Woman' has been reduced to a pedestrian piece of crap that John Lennon would probably wouldn't even listen to if it wasn't for demo purposes.  The guitar used for this stripped down version sounded fine in the demo it has been flown in from, but here, it only reduces that beautiful songs power and is like a scar on a beatiful woman's face.

Shame on yoko, sean"I'm John Lennon's son"Lennon, and Jack Douglas for doing what they did to a man's work after his death.  Mess with your own music.  Destroy your own legacy. Nobody will give a damn, But don't f*** with the man's music just because it'll make you a bit more money. If he was alive now. maybe he would have re-recorded some of his music, but he had stated in one of his last interviews to be very proud if his work.  He considered it all one whole body as opposed to documents of different parts of his life. So I doubt John would have allowed anyone remix his work in this way.  He wouldn't have done it himself.

My copy went straight to the trash.  yoko and sean can live it up with the $ they got from me and that CD (and its amatuer rendition of a classic album's cover) can rot in the landfill.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:48:47 AM by Bighead »

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 08:19:20 AM »

^ Gosh. Strong feelings there. You think Woman is majestic? "One mans meat" I guess.
I think the point may be that many people (myself included) think the original Double Fantasy is..... rubbish. And the most oft-made criticism of it is that it is too bland and slick. So this stripped down version is an attempt to redress that - to show that under that FM-friendly-coffee-table-blandless there still lurked a real, credible musician. Maybe the motive is a bit more noble than one of merely scamming yet more money.
I haven't listened to the whole thing, but to my ear the ploy has failed. The music still sounds like what it was - bland, uninspired musak by a forty year old man with nothing to say and no great tunes to say it with. I don't think the production was the problem.
But I agree with you - the original release was how Lennon wanted to sound. I guess you have to make a comparison with McCartney and Let It Be Naked, but at least Macca is on record as saying in 1970 that that WASN'T how he wanted to sound. As you say, Lennon seemed very happy with his product.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:39:01 AM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »

The music still sounds like what it was - bland, uninspired musak by a forty year old man with nothing to say and no great tunes to say it with. I don't think the production was the problem.

Let me disagree with you. The album Double Fantasy is excellent. It is one of my favourites, I love it as it is. With Yoko and songs going one into another. I believe the whole idea is very good. The more you listen to it the more you like it. At first I liked it, then I loved it and now I adore it. So that`s the truth. The music is very inspired to my mind. The album is a multifaceted diamond!

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 09:29:17 PM »

Let me disagree with you. The album Double Fantasy is excellent. It is one of my favourites, I love it as it is. With Yoko and songs going one into another. I believe the whole idea is very good. The more you listen to it the more you like it. At first I liked it, then I loved it and now I adore it. So that`s the truth. The music is very inspired to my mind. The album is a multifaceted diamond!

i agree Jane, one of my fav albums of John, i even liked Yoko's songs  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 64 queries.