Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Pete Best  (Read 75250 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Pete Best
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2008, 12:21:07 AM »

Quote from: 902

before jumping to a conclusion about that Anthology Love Me Do track, ya should review the history of that LMD track, and why the rudimentary drumming was laid down that way.  It was a raw take of a song in development.

While Cry for a Shadow was on Anthology, as was My Bonnie, Hello Little Girl, Besame mucho, etc... several others great fun tracks, why single out an intentionally raw LoveMeDo as being representative of 1 single musician's ability or alleged lack thereoff ?  

I'll take your point about making too much of the anthology take of "Love Me Do;" as BlueMeanie says, George Martin's decision about wanting to use a session drummer for The Beatles' studio sessions was based on more than that. You also raise an interesting point: Pete switches tempo in the anthology take, and I wonder if that was the way The Beatles played the song live or was it an attempt to re-arrange the song in the studio? If it was the latter, it might explain why Pete had trouble with it and why John and Paul's vocals sound so tentative on a song they must have known well.  :)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2008, 03:31:44 AM »

Quote from: 1161

I'll take your point about making too much of the anthology take of "Love Me Do;" as BlueMeanie says, George Martin's decision about wanting to use a session drummer for The Beatles' studio sessions was based on more than that. You also raise an interesting point: Pete switches tempo in the anthology take, and I wonder if that was the way The Beatles played the song live or was it an attempt to re-arrange the song in the studio? If it was the latter, it might explain why Pete had trouble with it and why John and Paul's vocals sound so tentative on a song they must have known well. :)

I think one reason for the tentative vocals is that the vocal arrangement was all of a sudden different from their live/pre-studio one (OT - did this song have a life in the clubs, or was it a pure studio song?) - John was actually the one who sang the hook "... love me do..." prior to the studio rehearsals for their first recording! George Martin, who picked the song mainly for the harmonica riff, decided that John didn't have enough time to sing the line AND then inhale enough to play the harmonica riff properly, so he said ... "Here Paul, you sing that line". So that change, plus the pressures of their first recording, could certainly have resulted in tentative vocals!

*Disclaimer - I can't cite references for this, but I'm pretty sure I've read it in multiple places. Maybe someone can confirm (or not)?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2008, 04:01:09 AM »

Quote from: 568
George Martin, who picked the song mainly for the harmonica riff, decided that John didn't have enough time to sing the line AND then inhale enough to play the harmonica riff properly, so he said ... "Here Paul, you sing that line". So that change, plus the pressures of their first recording, could certainly have resulted in tentative vocals!

Yes, I think you're quite right about this: great point. It seems to me that Paul's told this story himself a few times: maybe in the Anthology or his interview in Beatles Recording Sessions?  :)

62redux

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #163 on: August 12, 2008, 02:17:30 AM »

Quote from: 1161

I'll take your point about making too much of the anthology take of "Love Me Do;" as BlueMeanie says, George Martin's decision about wanting to use a session drummer for The Beatles' studio sessions was based on more than that. You also raise an interesting point: Pete switches tempo in the anthology take, and I wonder if that was the way The Beatles played the song live or was it an attempt to re-arrange the song in the studio? If it was the latter, it might explain why Pete had trouble with it and why John and Paul's vocals sound so tentative on a song they must have known well.  :)

I enjoy this site. Rational point/counterpoint here and there. It's all good.

If LoveMeDo wasn't on Anthology, this discussion probably wouldn't exist, and most casual fans would think.."hey those decca songs sound pretty good...and the Sheridan/Polydor tracks Cry for a Shadow , My Bonnie are as fun and rockin' as anythign else from the time period.  Most (except Decca!) would probably say "hey pretty good band...all of them"

That LMD track is incorrectly pointed to by casual fans as being some kind of smoking gun evidence of poor musicianshhip o nthe drummer's part, while the bass player gets a free pass for the shaky vocal.  Go figure.

My understanding is they were trying a differnt arrangement and kicking it around. Even heard pete mention that in some interviews.  Paul was new on the lovemedo vocal, which is  reflected in the shakiness, and also commented in interviews. They both commented on the early take of LMD, but paul gets a pass and pete gets vilified for trying something different mid-take.?  Pete was just slapping the rim of the snare for basic time on the first half of the track, as they were trying arrangements. I'd suppose they were trying stuff on an early studio go 'round..and its recorded for posterity. I' dsay raw basic track, while I know other poster above disagreed. That's fine. no problemo.

While I enjoy the discourse and always find i'm learnign different stuff from others, it's really more the myopic fans elsewhere --without ever hearing ANYTHING else--- that point out "listen to LMD on anthology..that PROVES yadda yadda.."  All I'm saying is that LMD proves only one thing: that they actually worked on songs before recording final versions for release, which is only logical, practical, heck it might have even been fun also.

PArt of the fun of Anthology was to show the band working on takes, and various timings and versions of songs, yet the rawness of LMD take is singled out.  LMD on Anth was a simple early track they were trying some ideas on..just because it was committed to tape doesn't mean that THAT specific take was intended for release and they said "good god we can't release THIS one..it's AWFUL". lol.. And the Anth track certainly doesn't reflect the sum total of any bandmember's total talent, especially if it was also macca's first shot at the "lovemedo" vocal.

Of course, there were other basic tracks not on Anthology when george's guitar work was off, or Ringo's drumming was mediocre..or whatever.  By the same token re: Anthology 1, Paul flubbed the bass on "One after 909" a few times..certainly didn't mean he wasn't a capable bass player although 1after909 didn't get released (and reworked) until the Let it Be album.  However, legions of fans would likely rush to defend how and rationalize why Paul goofed up the bass lines on 1 after 909 no matter what the story is.  It's no big deal..they were kickign it around in the studio..that's where that stuff is supposed to happen anyway.

It's all in the past though...but it's fun to yap about it respectfully.  Of note, the recording engineers had commented LMD on the '05 pete best of the beatles dvd, and then again the decca fokls said "guitar groups are on the way out"...so, heck, people made mistakes and judgment arrors back way back. It's sll jus tso much history now..bu fun to chat about.

The most popular band in Liverpool at the time. Certainly all the musicians had chops; it was the live setting that got them noticed.  I'll refer back to Cry for Shadow of even My Bonnie, and give a listen to the drumming there. It kicks arse.  It's all good fun though...thanks for the thread and the respectful discourse.

Meanwhile, click here  http://www.lightyear.com/  see "Music" in the middle of the screen, and click on the black/green album to hear 3 full tracks.

Enjoy.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #164 on: August 12, 2008, 08:35:53 AM »

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »

Thanks, Bill: great site; I hadn't known about Pete's tour with Roy Orbison or the audition for The Monkees. Most of the photos were new to me, too.  :)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2008, 06:03:50 PM »

Quote from: 1062
Here's a piece I wrote about Pete:
http://merseybeat.co.uk/articles-details.php?cat=Mersey+Artists&id=375

Thanks Bill for your article!

There's something a little odd about Pete learning by accident that Decca had rejected the group based on their 1-1-62 audition .... not so much perhaps that nobody told him, but that he didn't learn until June '62! I'd think he might have been asking in the previous 6 months about the results of the audition? Especially since it seems he was the main contact with Brian Epstein ... it doesn't add up somehow  :-/

Anyway, thanks for the read again Bill! I think the color pic with the "city skyline" was maybe taken in Hamburg ... Star Club? Anyone with a better idea?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #167 on: August 12, 2008, 07:05:18 PM »

Yes, the photo was one of over a dozen colour slides Manfred Weissleder took for me at the Star Club in return for me writing a column in his Star Club News. I used one of John on stage at the club as a Mersey Beat cover. I had the box of slides for many years and a friend, Henri Henroid, who used to be involved with the Star Club asked if he could borrow them to show Manfred. I never got them back and found that Henri had sold them at auction, even though they were my copyright. This happened a lot to me because I was very trusting.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #168 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »

Bill Harry, thank you very much! Your article is very interesting, I read it in a gulp! Few people know the truth about Pete Best. Everybody thinks that he was not good enough, poor guy...

Bobber

« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2008, 07:05:43 AM »

Mistake tho on the date of the first Hamburg trip. That was of course in 1960, not in 1959.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2008, 10:24:26 AM »

Many thanks, correcting. What about this on Pete's mum:
BEST, MONA.  Arguably, the first Merseyside promoter to give the Beatles regular support.
     Born of English parents in India, she worked for the Red Cross in Delhi, where she met and married John Best, an army officer. The couple had two sons, Peter and Rory. In 1945 the family returned to England and lived in a flat in Casey Street, Liverpool for two years. Then they settled in a large Victorian house at 8 Haymans Green in the West Derby area of Liverpool.
     The huge house had a large complex of cellars and when Pete was sixteen, Mona had noticed the number of young friends visiting him at the house and decided to turn part of the cellar area into a private club for him. But word got out and more ambitious plans developed, which resulted in a club for young people with live groups. It became one of the first cellar clubs to present rock

Bobber

« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2008, 08:10:07 AM »

Pete at David Letterman's show in 1982:

wb2GIFMLgpU

6C_hiy4bRLs

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2008, 06:30:26 PM »

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »

Thanks for the link. He's playing in my state on my birthday!

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2008, 10:06:34 PM »

great...hope you can go.....peace

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #175 on: August 21, 2008, 02:11:48 AM »

Great, thanks so much pc31  :) :)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #176 on: August 21, 2008, 08:04:24 PM »

you're welcome as well...... ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2008, 01:47:53 AM »

Pete Best cameo in new movie-

From beatles-unlimited.com

Over the past 45 years, the legend of Pete Best has grown to the point where his name is shorthand for those who couldn

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2008, 01:07:45 PM »

Quote from: 63

Tracks:
Come With Me

Step outside

Start Again

Grey River

Gone

Dream Me Home

Everything I Want

Beat Street

Broken

Red Light

Haymans Green

first critics seem to be alright
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #179 on: September 18, 2008, 04:41:13 AM »

The Pete Best Band is coming HERE to Little Rock, October 1, for a one night performance at this rock club we have in town called, "Sticky-Finga's"...........That's a "school night" for me, on a Wednesday.......so I don't know if I'll be able to attend.............you know I'm a wife and mom.............But you NEVER KNOW what I'll pull out from the "wood-work".....ask my hubby about this one.................
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 85 queries.