Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Where do you stand on this ?  (Read 19862 times)

nimrod

Where do you stand on this ?
« on: July 21, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »

I was discussing remasters with a mate the other day, he is dead set against remasters as he says he prefers the 'warmth' and 'familiarity' of the original recordings, rm's (in his words) sound too false etc etc

He said what annoys him also is that when you now want to buy and old album (not just Beatles) you have to buy the remaster as that is now the de-fault version that shops have on their racks, Id never thought about that before and I suppose I can see how that would annoy some people (not me as I love remastered everything)  ha2ha

Where do you stand on that ?

Beatlesrlove

• Getting Better
  • Beatlesrlove, Can you take so much Groovyness
Re: Where do you stand on this ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:07:28 AM »

I was discussing remasters with a mate the other day, he is dead set against remasters as he says he prefers the 'warmth' and 'familiarity' of the original recordings, rm's (in his words) sound too false etc etc

He said what annoys him also is that when you now want to buy and old album (not just Beatles) you have to buy the remaster as that is now the de-fault version that shops have on their racks, Id never thought about that before and I suppose I can see how that would annoy some people (not me as I love remastered everything)  ha2ha

Where do you stand on that ?
Well I do like the originals, because sometimes in the remasters for some reason in they add some things that was not there before. But what i like about the remasters is that its clearer. So I can't side on either.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:22:44 AM »

So far, i'm less than impressed with the remasters. Some things are fixed, some things got messed up. Its not a fair trade off in my opinion.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 03:36:23 AM »

I've listened to some of the remasters but didn't buy them. I still have the original 1987 versions. I feel more or less like your friend, because beyond sound quality the remasters "fixed" some things that were on the original versions, like the abrupt interruption of the lead guitar at the end of "Strawberry Fields Forever", or the sound of lips at the end of "In My Life"; little things that make music more human.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:41:37 AM »

I have just about every Beatles LP, all the original CDs and the mono and stereo remastered box sets.

I'm covered!   ;D

The LPs have the warmest sound.  The original CDs sound great, but a little sterile in comparison to the LPs.  I prefer the original CDs over the stereo remastered box set. 

But I like my mono remastered box set the best!  Perhaps the engineers devoted most of their time to its production.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 03:50:26 AM »

Hey Kevin, the best sound is my Country Gentleman plugged into the AC30!  ;)
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:11:36 PM »

Maybe I didnt explain that very well but I wasnt really asking what people prefered but rather do you think its right that shops sell remasters as the default version

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »

Are the originals even avaliable anymore? I would think that the stereo remasters would be the default CD at this point. Kind of silly for a company to remaster a catalog and offer both versions (not talking about mono here).

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »

Well, it's logic for them have the remasters as the default CDs now. Why would they still produce the old versions? Happily I bought my beloved original versions several years before the remasters.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »

I suppose even though the new remastered CDs are now the default product being sold by record shops, the old 1987 CDs, as well as vinyl, tape cassettes, 8-tracks, reel-to-reel tapes or whatever will always be available if a listener wants to go back and find out how things sounded BEFORE the remastering happened.
You could probably go on eBay and buy a copy of every Beatles album on vinyl (the cheaper 1970s reissues which still contain the same 60s mixes) AND a turntable to play it all on, for the same price as a new remastered box set.

It would be great if record companies did the remastering job and packaged the new versions alongside the old ones, so that both versions are still available. With some Beatles albums you could fit both versions of an album on a single CD, so it wouldn't even cost the record company any more to do it!!
But they don't like doing it - they like to shove the new product down your throat so you think you are getting something new and exciting for the large sums of money you are paying out.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »

Are the originals even avaliable anymore? I would think that the stereo remasters would be the default CD at this point. Kind of silly for a company to remaster a catalog and offer both versions (not talking about mono here).

I don't think it's silly to have both versions available when the "remastering" has also involved some tinkering with the original mixes.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »

I personally am glad that the 1987 CDs are out of print, and thus you can't buy them. They sound like crap. They sound like you have a blanket on your speakers.

I do like the new remasters. I do think they are mastered a little loud though. If you want to hear The Beatles really well, get a MFSL box. Yes, it is vinyl. Very warm, clear and they sound good. Or on CD, get a 1984 Japanese "Abbey Road", it too sounds really good. The Dr Ebbetts needle drops are good.

The record companies, and bands move on. They are always looking to make money.

I like what McCartney is doing with his catalog. I like the Hi-Res versions, and that they are offered in two formats (Un-Limited and Limited).

I think if you are stuck defending the 1987 CDs, you don't know what you are listening for. If you think the original mixes (not the 1987 vinyl (digital) mixes) on vinyl should still be available, I agree.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »

I think if you are stuck defending the 1987 CDs, you don't know what you are listening for. If you think the original mixes (not the 1987 vinyl (digital) mixes) on vinyl should still be available, I agree.

Personally I think that the 1987 CDs sound good enough for me. The remasters may have a better quality, a more clean sound, but somehow I find that music lost some of its magic with them. I always tend to prefer what was done before, the classic stuff.

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »

Personally I think that the 1987 CDs sound good enough for me. The remasters may have a better quality, a more clean sound, but somehow I find that music lost some of its magic with them. I always tend to prefer what was done before, the classic stuff.

Your post proves that listening to music is probably one of the most subjective things we, as humans, do. That, in turn, proving my point that there is no such thing as "The Best... (song, album, Beatle, etc.)."
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 06:02:08 PM »

Your post proves that listening to music is probably one of the most subjective things we, as humans, do. That, in turn, proving my point that there is no such thing as "The Best... (song, album, Beatle, etc.)."

Of course it's all subjective. And I'm not against the remasters, they may mean an improvement, but I've heard them and I just don't think they deserve to replace my old CDs, which sound good enough in the equipment I use. I love the Beatles as much or more than any fan, but I don't spend my money on anything with them on the label.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:05:39 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 06:31:07 PM »

I love the Beatles as much or more than any fan, but I don't spend my money on anything with them on the label.

You are probably smarter than I am. I am a sucker for any, well almost, product. I buy the Kool-Aide. Hence, why I have 5 versions of 'Band On The Run', three versions of 'McCartney', etc.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »

You are probably smarter than I am. I am a sucker for any, well almost, product. I buy the Kool-Aide. Hence, why I have 5 versions of 'Band On The Run', three versions of 'McCartney', etc.

No, you're surely a more devote fan than I am, I don't even care too much about the solo careers. But that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the Beatles as much as you do. :)

nimrod

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 10:58:48 PM »

I personally absolutely love the remasters, I waited for them for many years, I downloaded the Ebbets ones and the De-noizer ones but the official ones are better imo, Ive spent quite a bit of time messing with recording gear and its indoctrinated in me that clearer and cleaner is always better, the albums sound fresh and wonderful for me, I can hear more what theyre doing and it is a fact that my ears are not as good as they used to be due to standing in front of drummers for years so less muddy suits me.
I have stereo & mono sets and love them both.

I think the 87 CD's sounded worse than the vinyl (UK pressing vinyl that is) I have some Oz pressing LP's that were done (as in most countries) from 2nd generation master tapes and there is a clear difference in the original UK ones

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »

At least in the 1987 version of Sgt. Pepper's the line "it was 20 years ago today" is true. ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 01:00:54 AM »

In all fairness to the remasters, I havent listened to them on a big stereo yet to really soak them in. I've only done the ear phones from the computer deal during the reviews. Honestly, when thats over, they'll probably sit in the box. My originals are tore up to hell and back, but they are already down by the stereo in the basement and thats what i'll listen to. I know its silly, but I really dont listen to the Beatles very often anymore.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.603 seconds with 81 queries.