Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: 'Give Peace A Chance' = Lennon/McCartney?  (Read 9491 times)

thefadedline

• A Beginning
  • I'm an idler's dream
'Give Peace A Chance' = Lennon/McCartney?
« on: June 17, 2006, 09:42:11 PM »

I was reading through the notes inside the 'Shaved Fish' Lennon compilation and it says 'Give Peace A Chance' was written by John and Paul... is that true?

Sorry if this appears naive and silly by the way.

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
Re: 'Give Peace A Chance' = Lennon/McCartney?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 01:08:37 AM »

It was written by John during the last bit the Beatles were together and he recorded it then and wasn't ready to break the partnership just yet.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 02:15:59 AM »

actually,it was only because they were still in a binding contract...thats why paul waited to release his after the partnership was dissolved...and i even read once that john didn't mind paul being listed on the credits.i forget which interveiw it was tho...can someone please help me...help me remember which...tell me which....

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 02:39:34 AM »

Yeah I also read somewhere that John still wanted to honor the partnership and put Paul's name on it too. Then Yoko many years later had it removed I think.

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 02:46:27 AM »

I found it. Apperantely John wanted to uphold the long standing pact with Paul and to thank him for recording The ballad of John and Yoko with him.

"The design of the label is exactly the same as recent Beatles releases on Apple.
One other very interesting point, the song is credited on the single to ... "Lennon/McCartney" ! ... This was done at the insistence of John, who wanted to uphold the long standing pact with Paul that songs would be "shared", and in the same breath, to thank Paul for recording "Ballad Of John And Yoko" with him."

See for yourself  

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/apple13.html

Fifth paragraph in Details.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 03:27:03 AM »

yeah but somewheres its answered in a video...when the ballad of was recorded the other two were on vacation...paul played drums.....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 03:29:40 AM »

it does seem that john had good intentions on an amicable split in the begining but things got nastier....maybe yoko was creating demensia with in john...making him hate paul...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 07:24:13 AM »

I'm sure Paul wasnt happy with having his name associated with that political, rap tune of crap that was 'Give Peace A Chance' anyways.

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 02:34:28 PM »

All they are saying is Give Peace A Chance.

Why not?

I don't understand the "Don't negotiate with Terrorists" thing. Surely it's better to speak to Bin Laden/Sadam and come to some peaceful settlement than spend billions on blowing the f*** outa Afghanistan/Iraq then invading and occuping the Country and be subject to suicide bombers every week. It is all down to oil and that Christian fundamentalist in the White House who belives God speaks to him, sounds like an alchoholic to me, oh and somebody please try to tell him not to attack Iran: he wont win that.

It's still the same old story, a bloody holy war...

Our entire lives are constructed to create a strong ecconomy, but if one country is rich then another is poor. From the day we are born we are killing people in another country and we cannot help it. When will people understand that they don't need a government to cock things up for them. You don't need an ecconomy, you don't need borders. We ain't free people. We're treated like battery Hens.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 08:05:42 PM »

It's only a dream but it's good to have good dreams.

Paul McCartney was a fan of this song and at sometime expressed his opinion of being happy of his credit on it.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 10:47:34 PM »

ah, peace. probably one of humanity's only real feeling that will never be realized. there will always be advocates for universal peace such as john and bono and the entire vietnam-era, but the common person is blind to such things. look at 9/11, the pain we felt sent us into 2 wars...or by pentagon standards, 1 1/2 wars (whatever a half of a war is, we may never know). blind rage is a terrible terrible thing and we humans dont tend to think things through when given reason to kick someone's ass, regardless of who they are.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 12:19:02 AM »

It will happen.

Peace as in no country on country wars, no religion on religion wars, no political/economic on political/economic wars.

You will always get private fighting between people who are fighting about private circumstances which have nothing to do with anybody but those who are fighting about them.

To be able to honestly and innocently live life without in-directly hurting people in a less 'well-off' part of the world.

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 08:51:17 AM »

I still doubt very much if Give Peace A Chance was even written by John Lennon. It seems he just picked up a mantra in India: http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-lennon/m-1135782215/

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 11:43:12 AM »

Quote from: TheMasterOfGoingFaster
It will happen.

Not a chance. As societies, we humans don't like people who are different. Everywhere in the world borders are being drawn around groups that identify themselves by their language and/or religion. Everywhere in the world where ethnic groups do coexist they break up into ghettos, and lead as seperate lives as possible. At best we put up with each other.(although that tolerance seems to dissapear once hardship or crisis enters the equation). It's wired deep into our soles. I can't see any indication that things are changing. On the plus side these are traits that have helped us become the dominant species on the planet, and one reason why we don't have to worry about dolphins murdering and eating our children  :)
The dream of the human race becoming some homogenous peace-loving world race is just that.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »

Quote from: Bobber
I still doubt very much if Give Peace A Chance was even written by John Lennon. It seems he just picked up a mantra in India: http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-lennon/m-1135782215/

I was watching a documentary about the 1966 World Cup. They were interviewing some chappie, who was remembering being in the crowd, and he sang one of the English football chants they were using. The melody was GPAC exactly.
Now it may be that age has fuddled this mans brain, and he has transposed the GPAC melody onto the chant in error. Or not.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 01:35:08 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

I was watching a documentary about the 1966 World Cup. They were interviewing some chappie, who was remembering being in the crowd, and he sang one of the English football chants they were using. The melody was GPAC exactly.
Now it may be that age has fuddled this mans brain, and he has transposed the GPAC melody onto the chant in error. Or not.

In that case, maybe GPAC is really a 'trad. arr. J. Lennon'. :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 01:40:09 PM »

I'm affraid I'll have to agree with Kevin on the world peace issue. It's not gonna happen. It's just not possible. It's not in our nature, unfortionately.

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 05:57:29 PM »

It will happen. I don't know if it'll happen in 100 years or 100,000 years but it will happen. Be positive, live your life peacefully and hopefully and do your best and I'll do mine. Thankyou.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 08:01:08 PM »

Quote from: TheMasterOfGoingFaster
It will happen. I don't know if it'll happen in 100 years or 100,000 years but it will happen. Be positive, live your life peacefully and hopefully and do your best and I'll do mine. Thankyou.

I think that so far I've done my best, I'm sure I'll continue doing my best and I'm also sure the big majority of the world's population will do it's best, but there'll always be that small percentage that'll ruin it for everyone else. That's not being negative or pessimistic, that just being realistic. I'd like to think you're right, but I'm just not buying it. I'm convinced that a part (a small minority though) of the human race is downright evil and that nothing can change that.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 08:03:14 PM »

I also don't see any progression. Not at all. Here in the Netherlands for instance, we had a much more peaceful and tolerant society 10 years ago than we have now. It's really been going downhill the last few years.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 81 queries.