Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 2501 times)

Ollier

• A Beginning
Twitter
« on: May 26, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »

Hi Folks, do any of you have a Twitter account?

If you want to be a hero...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:08:07 AM by Ollier »
Keeping you on your toes...

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Twitter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 10:54:02 PM »

I'm not much of a techie (technophobe is more like it), so no, I don't have Twitter.  :)

KelMar

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 12:24:18 AM »

I'm not much of a techie (technophobe is more like it), so no, I don't have Twitter.  :)

I keep hoping no one will come into the library and ask for help with Twitter. I know nothing about it and so far I've been okay. I should probably figure it out though, just in case. LOL

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »

I keep hoping no one will come into the library and ask for help with Twitter. I know nothing about it and so far I've been okay. I should probably figure it out though, just in case. LOL

I need to figure out Instagram and Snapchat; all three of my kids are using it, and I know nothing about them, either. I need to check their security settings.

KelMar

Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 04:34:14 AM »

I need to figure out Instagram and Snapchat; all three of my kids are using it, and I know nothing about them, either. I need to check their security settings.

Those are Greek to me!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 05:28:45 AM »

Those are Greek to me!

Graecum est; non legitur.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 02:39:56 AM »

And in my grandparents' language: Det är rena grekiskan. My life would be so much easier right now if Swedish wasn't Greek to me!

nimrod

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:23:41 AM »

theres not much to figure out with twitter
you just open an account, and decide who you want to follow (famous people/friends etc)

you can also 'tweet' yourself and post photo's

I tried it but Im not a fan, I 'do' facebook though, Im back in touch with people I grew up with in England so I have a lot to be thankful to f/book for, in fact I have friends in Malta, Texas, LA, France that Im back in touch with, which is wonderful.

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 05:09:53 AM »

I don't have a twitter because I don't know why do I need it. Facebook - that's my choice. I wonder if we should make our forums' facebook account? ))

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 12:31:08 PM »

And in my grandparents' language: Det är rena grekiskan. My life would be so much easier right now if Swedish wasn't Greek to me!

You should come visit North Dakota, Kelley; lots of folks of Swedish and German descent, and they still use native phrases and bake native dishes. There's a strong sense of familial history here. Many large families who stayed put. I'm a bit envious, actually.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 03:29:24 PM »

Ooooo Yaaah!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »

You should come visit North Dakota, Kelley; lots of folks of Swedish and German descent, and they still use native phrases and bake native dishes.

My kids stick out like sore thumbs here when it comes to family backgrounds; they were all born in Virginia and are half-Irish and half-Eastern European (Czech and Lithuanian). Whenever this topic comes up in a class they are always the only ones with those nationalities. My son came home last month and said he was the only one in his class with no German or Swedish heritage. Most people (esp. kids) haven't even heard of Lithuania, so they always get grilled about that one.   ;D

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 02:56:24 AM »

My kids stick out like sore thumbs here when it comes to family backgrounds; they were all born in Virginia and are half-Irish and half-Eastern European (Czech and Lithuanian). Whenever this topic comes up in a class they are always the only ones with those nationalities. My son came home last month and said he was the only one in his class with no German or Swedish heritage. Most people (esp. kids) haven't even heard of Lithuania, so they always get grilled about that one.   ;D
My step daughter is English-Czech. it's a good combination.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

KelMar

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 03:44:20 AM »

It's good for those other kids to learn about different ethnic background. And hey...I'm part Irish too! But the Swedish side of me sure takes a beating sometimes. Our annual yard sale, which funds the children's programming, was today and last year I forgot the sunscreen. Of course I got really burned. This year I put on a lot of sunscreen and still got burned. Next year I'll help set up but I'm going in and getting some work done between 11:00 and three!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 05:26:15 AM »

My maternal and paternal grandparents immigrated to the US from the Ukraine after the Russian Revolution.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »

My English ancestors were Puritans that came to the colonies in late 1600's - 1700's . My Irish ancestors (Ulster) came in the 1800's to escape persecution from the Black and Tans! My great (#?) grandfather was banished to the fields for being a teacher and succumbed to disease. However he had saved enough to get his wife and daughter to Salem, MA where they became teachers.
Of course us Caswell's like to go back to 54B.C. and talk about our great great.... grandfather Cassivallaunus, the first British king who defeated Julius Caesar in the first Roman invasion!   ha2ha
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 12:15:58 PM by Dcazz »
Mark Twain

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 09:26:17 PM »

My maternal and paternal grandparents immigrated to the US from the Ukraine after the Russian Revolution.

Interesting! There was a small concentrated population of Ukrainians in a neighborhood in central NYS that bordered the Irish neighborhood where my mom grew up.

As I've mentioned earlier, I'd like to try Ancestry.com to learn more specifics about my own heritage, but the Lithuanian immigrants on my father's side Americanized their name (though not much; my maiden name is still pretty ethnic-sounding), so I wonder if that would present a problem.

KelMar

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 11:56:47 PM »

As I've mentioned earlier, I'd like to try Ancestry.com to learn more specifics about my own heritage, but the Lithuanian immigrants on my father's side Americanized their name (though not much; my maiden name is still pretty ethnic-sounding), so I wonder if that would present a problem.

Probably not. My grandfather and his brother both changed their names when they came from Sweden. Do you know what it was before they changed it? Even if you don't there are all kinds of clues to help you figure it out. You just start with what you do know. In Sweden they used a patronymic naming system until the end of the 19th century but even with that I'm figuring it out. That means that my grandfather's last name was Eliasson, which was derived from his father's first name, Elias. Then there's the girls...his sister's last name was Eliasdotter(daughter) and they didn't take the husband's name. Once I figured it out it actually made it easier in some respects. I think I've made it back to the 1770's but I've still got a lot of verifying to do. So don't let that stop you! Just take it one step at a time and go through Ancestry's tutorials first.

Quote from: Dcazz
My English ancestors were Puritans that came to the colonies in late 1600's - 1700's . My Irish ancestors (Ulster) came in the 1800's to escape persecution from the Black and Tans!

I am having a devil of a time with the Irish ancestors! I think they had the most common surname in Ireland in 1896.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 12:14:05 AM by In My Life »

KelMar

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 12:06:24 AM »

How old were they when they came to America? Were they all from the same village in the Ukraine? My grandma was born in this country but I've discovered that her parents came from the same little village in Sweden as my grandpa. I'm thinking it was no coincidence that he showed up at their doorstep looking for a room. I do know for sure that Grandma and her sister were sitting on the porch and when they saw him coming down the road Grandma said "Here comes the man I'm going to marry."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:44 AM »

How old were they when they came to America? Were they all from the same village in the Ukraine?

They were in their early twenties and newly married when they came to the US and were from different nearby villages in the northwestern part of the Ukraine.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.776 seconds with 79 queries.