Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: was lennon inspired by the kinks on abbey road  (Read 17812 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
was lennon inspired by the kinks on abbey road
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:39:59 AM »

a lot of his songs sound very ray davies like, songs like polythene pam and mean mr mustard?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: was lennon inspired by the kinks on abbey road
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 11:48:10 PM »

Although I'm a Beatles freak, don't get me started on the Kinks---Ray & Dave are BELOVED by me too. But I never made that comparison to Abbey Road. Brilliant observation. Ray was/and still is I suppose, the king of the 3 minute rock opera (w/ Pete Townshend of course claiming the longer form)but now that u mention it, Side 2 of Abbey R. has all those short ditties (or snippets) that would make any Kinks fan salivate...(any one of which could've found it's way onto the Kinks Kronikles compilation w/ ease..)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 12:06:56 AM »

I'm not sure about this. Looks like tomorrow is going to be a Kinks day :)

Had the chance to see Ray a couple of years ago. Bloody brilliant. What a showman!

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 12:59:59 AM »

not to mention Dave "Death of a Clown" Davies, the most UNDER-rated lead guitarist in rock!

(but PLEASE STOP ME--THIS IS A BEATLES SITE--I DONT WANNA BE UNFAITHFUL TO THE FAB)   :D

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 05:21:37 AM »

funny you should mention death of a clown as that is one of the songs that comes to mind when i think of a few of lennons tracks on abbey road, from the lyrics to the chord changes it sounds very kinksy to me and then his voice sounds very different from his usual voice, slight london twang.

yeah i love the kinks theres even some days when :o i prefer them to the Beatles but i prefer the Beatles the other 300 days, he is a lyrical genius and there songs are so refreshing, i definitely think they sit second in my books.

On a cold and frosty morning, Wipe my eyes and stop me yawning.
And my feet are nearly frozen,Boil the tea and put some toast on.

;D

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 02:14:38 PM »

Quote from: 829
not to mention Dave "Death of a Clown" Davies, the most UNDER-rated lead guitarist in rock!

(but PLEASE STOP ME--THIS IS A BEATLES SITE--I DONT WANNA BE UNFAITHFUL TO THE FAB)   :D

I would be MORE than happy to have a chat about The Kinks in the "other artists" forum (just playing Village Green as we speak!!!) ;D

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 08:08:41 PM »

Quote from: 360

I would be MORE than happy to have a chat about The Kinks in the "other artists" forum (just playing Village Green as we speak!!!) ;D

..or "Arthur" ;)

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 11:04:08 PM »

..or "Arthur" ;)

Young And Innocent Days nearly brings me to tears every time I hear it!

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 11:19:39 PM »

..and whenever i play my "Everybody's In Show Biz" cd (I had the vinyl of it back in 72) I can ONLY smile..
The Kinks always made me happy as hell...even though I know Ray's lyrics are often about the hard life of the working class, his whimsy & compassion always got to me. (I can almost hear "Celluloid Heroes" in my head right now !!..I'm not kidding--and I'm no where near my stereo at the moment!!)

but like I said, DONT START ME UP ABOUT THE KINKS--this is our BELOVED BEATLES site !!!!! :o

signed,

me--a muswell hillbilly in the USA

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:28:12 PM »

Quote from: 360

Young And Innocent Days nearly brings me to tears every time I hear it!

You softie!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 12:29:55 AM »

I dont think John was to inspired by anything during Abbey Road.

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 12:50:39 AM »

Quote from: 373
I dont think John was to inspired by anything during Abbey Road.

Do you call "Come Together", "She's So Heavy"...AND his, Paul and George's PERFECT vocals on "Because" not being inspired by much  ??
(not to mention his contributions to Side II's "medley" ??) Maybe you were listening to a different Abbey Road than I did... )(*shrugs*) (it was the "Get Back" sessions in EARLY '69 that he and the others were so famously discontented(subsequently to be renamed Let It Be) but by Spring of that same year they were fully enjoying the entire recording of Abbey Road together--it was like "old times".  John didnt get his wanderlust again until AFTER A.R. was complete. By September '69 he issued his "walking papers" in earnest. To say he was uninspired during the A. R. sessions is a myth.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 01:08:40 AM »

..and whenever i play my "Everybody's In Show Biz" cd (I had the vinyl of it back in 72) I can ONLY smile..
The Kinks always made me happy as hell...even though I know Ray's lyrics are often about the hard life of the working class, his whimsy & compassion always got to me. (I can almost hear "Celluloid Heroes" in my head right now !!..I'm not kidding--and I'm no where near my stereo at the moment!!)

but like I said, DONT START ME UP ABOUT THE KINKS--this is our BELOVED BEATLES site !!!!! :o

signed,

me--a muswell hillbilly in the USA

Started a KINKS thread here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-othermusic/m-1189213652/ ;D

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 01:27:20 AM »

thx...checking THAT out next time I'm online in here

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 01:37:22 AM »

Do you call "Come Together", "She's So Heavy"...AND his, Paul and George's PERFECT vocals on "Because" not being inspired by much  ??

Lets see, a song spouting out needless drivel with no subject matter that plays off of being the poorest copy of 'I Am The Walrus' ever (Come Together), a song that is so repetitve that you have already listened to it after a minute into it (I Want You,,,,and thank god its almost 8 minutes long,,,sheesh), and a freaking song that I would bet my life on that Paul put together (Because). No not inspired at all.
(By the way,,,Sun King sucks too, but i do like the snippets of Polythene Pam and Mean Mr. Mustard. Should have been complete tunes.)

Maybe you were listening to a different Abbey Road than I did... )

No,,,it was the same.

(it was the "Get Back" sessions in EARLY '69 that he and the others were so famously discontented(subsequently to be renamed Let It Be) but by Spring of that same year they were fully enjoying the entire recording of Abbey Road together--it was like "old times".  John didnt get his wanderlust again until AFTER A.R. was complete. By September '69 he issued his "walking papers" in earnest. To say he was uninspired during the A. R. sessions is a myth.

Thanks for the history lesson and its no myth. He had crawled so far up into yoko's girl private by this time that its a miracle the album got done at all. Paul pleaded for the band to make this last ditch effort and its not hard to see that he did the majority of the work here. 'Old Times' my ass. John and Paul wasnt spending time by the pool and writing together, they still practicaly wrote their own tunes by themselves on this album (John just loved Maxwells Silver Hammer). Thank goodness they all four knew how much of a failure the Get Back sessions were and they decided to go out with a decent effort. Thanks Paul.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 09:13:27 AM »

but by Spring of that same year they were fully enjoying the entire recording of Abbey Road together--it was like "old times".  

I don't think so. Apart from basic backing tracks, they were never all in the studio at the same time. In fact John remarked that the best thing to do with Abbey Road was to put all his songs on one side, and Paul's on the other!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 10:52:40 AM »

Quote from: 758
a lot of his songs sound very ray davies like, songs like polythene pam and mean mr mustard?

But songs about quirky characters were all the rage.  Eleanor Rigby, SF Sorrow, Arnold Lane, Tommy. Maybe just John following a trend?
don't follow leaders

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 05:18:26 PM »

Quote from: 373

Thanks for the history lesson and its no myth.

you're welcome...  anytime. It's all in Paul's autobigraphy. He claims that Let It Be was the real hell, not A.R.

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 05:28:35 PM »

Unless macca was putting a more congenial face on things (which he was apt to do sometimes) I got this info from the horse's mouth not my imagination..
Unless of course John was inwardly sour from from L.I.B. and well into the Abbey Road sessions, the McCartney "spin" on the relative mood of the final record has something to do w/ his (macca's) "mother-hen" attitude of trying to keep the band together, I don't know--but I did read his account only--John wasnt giving many interviews during that period. If JL would've said more at the time, many fans would not hold this apparent misconception about the last LP-maybe Paul wasnt lying...perhaps he just saw things HIS way....possible.

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »

Quote from: 185

But songs about quirky characters were all the rage.  Eleanor Rigby, SF Sorrow, Arnold Lane, Tommy. Maybe just John following a trend?

yes, but it never occurs to me the John would follow anyone else's trend--he was so original. It's very possible...but something tells me he would have wrote these ditties irregardless. He always took chances.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 77 queries.