Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Beatles - Overrated ?..... HUH ?  (Read 6827 times)

eraser.time206

• One And One Is Two
  • Groupie
Re: Beatles - Overrated ?..... HUH ?
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »

Although I listen to the Beatles more than any other artist/band I do believe they are the most overrated artist/band of all time. There are many reasons I believe so but let me ask you one question. If the Beatles were the ones who made The Dark Side of the Moon or In the Court of the Crimson King wouldn't those albums be considered the greatest albums of all time?
Before I go on, let me warn you that I talk dirty, and that I will say things you will neither enjoy nor agree with. You shouldn't feel threatened, though, because I am a mere buffoon, and you are all philosophers.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »

If the Beatles were the ones who made The Dark Side of the Moon or In the Court of the Crimson King wouldn't those albums be considered the greatest albums of all time?

Arent they already considered the greatest albums of all time by a ton of people? I dont think it has anything to do with whether or not the Beatles were the artist. I think good music usually passes the test of time regardless of who's behind it. Its also in what you like anyways. I personally think 'SF Sorow' by the Pretty Things is the greatest album ever made, but i'll be damned if I can find somebody else who thinks the same thing. I can barely find anybody thats even heard the album at all. Its all in what you like, but I suppose that raises the bar for the Beatles, because it sure seems like a heel of a lot of people liked them.

eraser.time206

• One And One Is Two
  • Groupie
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »

Arent they already considered the greatest albums of all time by a ton of people? I dont think it has anything to do with whether or not the Beatles were the artist. I think good music usually passes the test of time regardless of who's behind it. Its also in what you like anyways. I personally think 'SF Sorow' by the Pretty Things is the greatest album ever made, but i'll be damned if I can find somebody else who thinks the same thing. I can barely find anybody thats even heard the album at all. Its all in what you like, but I suppose that raises the bar for the Beatles, because it sure seems like a heel of a lot of people liked them.

I could just imagine the praise they would have gotten had they been the ones who made Dark Side of the Moon and/or especially In the Court of the Crimson King.
Before I go on, let me warn you that I talk dirty, and that I will say things you will neither enjoy nor agree with. You shouldn't feel threatened, though, because I am a mere buffoon, and you are all philosophers.

nimrod

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 02:04:09 AM »

Aha, I love a good hypothetical.. ;D
Todd has a good point, those albums ARE already regrded by millions to be THE best albums ever made, speaking as a lifelong prog fan who has a collection of over 1000 prog albums and spent years posting on prog boards, I can assure you this is fact eraser...
But this is what it is, hypothetical, they didn't make those albums, those albums are not in the style of The Beatles in any way, 'In The Court' was probably the first prog album ever made and is fantastic, but its not mainstream music.....which the Beatles WERE, appealing to kids, parents, even grandparents......I love 'Court' when it came out, it was a whole new genre, blending other genre's, but not for one minute, would my parents have listened to it (they were fans of the Beatles), they would also have not listened to DSOTM, as it was way too weird for their tastes, of course I loved it, so in essence, no, I dont agree with your hypothesis, I dont think the world would have declared them the best albums ever made...they just weren't accessible enough to the public at large, The Beatles wrote songs that people could sing and whistle, great melodies that will live forever, you cant walk down the street and whistle Schizoid Man or The Great Gig In The Sky (maybe Money you could )

Another point is, I dont think the Beatles made 'the worlds best album' what they did though was consistently make very very good albums, each one (with the odd exception) being better than its predecessor, both Floyd and Crimson didn't manage that, they just made these stand-out albums, that are regarded as classics, Crimson couldn't repeat that achievement and went on to make inferior albums (with the possible exception of Red, although it wasn't ground breaking)
Floyd had a very mixed bag of good and not so good, they made several albums after DSOTM but none were as good it has to be said, although WYWH is a high point.
The Beatles were leaders of a social revolution in the 60's (I was there) and theyre importance is immense in that role, as Ive said, when over 20,000 cover versions of your songs are made (by some of the worlds leading artists) I dont see how you can be overrated, you are what the public make you, and The Beatles were massive.

eraser.time206

• One And One Is Two
  • Groupie
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 03:57:01 AM »

nimrod: I wasn't around those days. Can you tell me something? When Sgt. Peppers came out how big was it? Was it as big as Thriller? How amazing was the album in terms of quality at the time? I love the album and right now there is no other album I can listen to. I can just imagine how much I would have liked it if I were around in those days.

nimrod

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 06:11:14 AM »

nimrod: I wasn't around those days. Can you tell me something? When Sgt. Peppers came out how big was it? Was it as big as Thriller? How amazing was the album in terms of quality at the time? I love the album and right now there is no other album I can listen to. I can just imagine how much I would have liked it if I were around in those days.

When Pepper came out it was a huge event in the UK, people had waited what seemed like a very long time since the last album and had a taster with Strawberry Field of strange but wonderful things to come, of course there had been mentions in the music press about them working on it for thousands of hours and everyone had a sense that the world was changing, that an age of enlightenment was on the horizon.....hundreds of thousands of advanced orders were placed with stores (my brother was one) and when it eventually arrived, it didnt disappoint, a gatefold cover (never been seen before) full of bright colours, lyrics on the back (never been seen before).......the whole thing was a wonderful, magical experience, radio stations played it over and over, it seemed that a monochrome world had changed to full brilliant colour, and of course it had a massive effect on music for the next decade or so..

I dont think DSOTM would have been so enigmatic if not for Pepper, suddenly you could put anything in a song, Mr Kite showed the way with swirling fairground organs and Good Morning Good Morning with hounds barking etc, you could make a song last 8 minutes and put it in weird time signatures, you could use exotic instruments like sitars and celestes.......these things had never really been done before, everyone knew that Lucy was describing an LSD trip, even the title of the song was made from the letters LSD (dont believe that nonsense story about Julians painting)..

To sum up, it was monumental, awe inspiring and probably THE biggest event in the history of popular music...it changed music forever.

It always makes me laugh when people say 'Ive heard Pepper and cant see why its so great'  ha2ha

eraser.time206

• One And One Is Two
  • Groupie
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 06:21:42 AM »

nimrod: I can't stop listening to it. I've never been addicted to an album like this. I'm so addicted to it that when I try to listen to anything else I just switch back over to Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. What's funny is that the first time I heard it I didn't like it. Now I can't stop listening to it.

KelMar

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 06:41:20 AM »

Nice account for those of us who missed it. Thanks Kevin!

nimrod

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 06:49:56 AM »

nimrod: I can't stop listening to it. I've never been addicted to an album like this. I'm so addicted to it that when I try to listen to anything else I just switch back over to Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. What's funny is that the first time I heard it I didn't like it. Now I can't stop listening to it.

dont worry.........just enjoy  ;D

nimrod

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »

my pleasure IML  ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 08:26:22 AM »

Yeah, nice right up Kev. It was a little before my time, but I can imagine.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 08:27:59 AM »

I second that.  :)
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 04:21:51 PM »

I second that.  :)

And I ... er ... third it    ;D

nimrod

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »

Thanks guys..

another thing to think about was the John (in those heady days) was seen as the creative genius of the band and Paul was seens as the master of melody who wrote more traditional songs, so when we got Penny Lane/SFF it summed them up perfectly, I mean how much more typical of a Paul song is Penny Lane ? My parents loved it, I have memories of my late Mother singing and sort of doing a little dance to it (I was about 15), but flip the single over and put SFF on and they sort of disappeared  ;D

Of course us younger element were obsessed with what John was doing next and I particularly being intrigued by the cover of SFF;

Johns image (clothing) has always fascinated me and I loved the way he was dressing around this time, in fact I remember being slightly disappointed that they wore the uniforms on Pepper and we didnt get pictures of their own clothes (a world of no internet just the odd pic in the music press)
So anyway, after the single we just couldnt wait to hear the psychedelic stuff that we knew John would put on the new album, after all SFF WAS a kind of revolution musically, there had been nothing like it, all that weirdness, slurpy cello's, distorted drums, and strange oblique lyrics that were not just nonsense but had deeper meanings than we were used too in pop songs..

So there you go, John was seen as the visionary (more the artist), Paul was the melodic genius who kept them main stream and acceptable to all.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 01:33:33 AM by nimrod »

eraser.time206

• One And One Is Two
  • Groupie
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 11:24:37 PM »

nimrod: How often were the Beatles talked about? Were they something talked about everyday?
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.926 seconds with 69 queries.