Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Penny Lane/SF on Sgt Pepper  (Read 26277 times)

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
Re: Penny Lane/SF on Sgt Pepper
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »

Quote from: 9
Here's my sample.

01. Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
02. With A Little Help From My Friends
03. Strawberry Fields Forever
04. Fixing A Hole
05. Penny Lane
06. Within You Without You

07.  Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
08.  Lovely Rita (or When I'm 64)
09.  Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite
10.  She's Leaving Home
11.  Good Morning Good Morning
12.  Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13.  Day In The Life

I like it!!! Very nice  (thumbsup)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »

1. sgt peppers lonely heart club band
2. with a little help from my friends
3. getting better
4. when im 64
5. lovely rita
6. fixing a hole
7. shes leaving home
8. penny lane
9. strawberry fields
10. being for the benifit of mr kite
11. only a northern song
12. lucy in the sky with diamonds
13. sgt peppers reprise

im gonna leave out good morning good morning, within you without you, and a day in the life, ive choose these ones to be left out as i usually skip wywy and ive grew bored of listening to the other 2 especially a day in the life

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2007, 09:44:14 AM »

You'd seriously drop A Day In The Life for Only A Northern song????
don't follow leaders

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »

yeah this is just for personal listening yeah or is how it should have been released ? if it for personal then id drop it purely as ive played the death out of it and i personally  love only a northern song the weird chord changes, also i felt it never fitted in with sgt peppers album along with wywy, i never listen to a day the life at all whenever i listen to splhcb i tend to turn it off after lovely rita

BlueMeanie

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2007, 09:58:50 AM »

I think 'Only A Northern song' is one of the worst songs ever recorded by them, as a band or solo.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2007, 10:04:28 AM »

im not sure why i love it so much but after watchign the yellow submarine when i was younger it just stuck in my head i think its the part where he sings and it really doesnt matter........ and the music is flowing behind it and the weirdest chord changes and it probably explains how blue jay way is also one of my faves, i used to listen to a day in the life a lot when i was younger as it was my mates favourite song of the beatles but i just never got into it :S

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2007, 10:12:56 AM »

I just can't imagine Pepper without that big finish.
And it doesn't fit? If there is a thread to Pepper its dealing with the humdrum of every day life - A Liitle Help With My Friends, Fixing a Hole, Getting Better, She's Leaving Home, Good Morning Good Morning, When I'm 64, WIWY. It seems to fit wonderfully to me.
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2007, 10:42:27 AM »

I suppose we all have our favorites and our songs we would skip. I personally dislike "When I'm 64"... rather intensely. I do enjoy 'Only A Northern Song' because the humor in it just hits the spot for me, but I adore "A Day in the Life". So haunting.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2007, 10:48:49 AM »

Fendertele loves it so much he/she had to tell us 5 times!! :)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2007, 11:01:15 AM »

lmao bluemeanie i never even realised that had happened i must have edited it and everytime i did it, it made a another post soz guys

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2007, 06:13:55 PM »

Quote from: 483
I think 'Only A Northern song' is one of the worst songs ever recorded by them, as a band or solo.

I think it was George's worst song in the Beatles & i've never been keen on it. :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2007, 02:40:13 AM »

To drop "Within You and Without You" is SACRILEGE!!! (not just because George has always been my favorite Beatle, but the song is so representative of the meditation kick they were on at the time)

..but Penny Lane and SFFE (2 of my fave tracks of all time) were both from those famous "preliminary" Pepper sessions (near the end of '66 Oct/Nov when John was just back from Spain where he was filming "How I Won The War"--and where he wrote SFFE during a break in the shooting) The sessions for the album really took off in momentum by Jan '67 (onwards to early Spring)--I don't blame Sir George Martin so much as probably pressure from the brass at EMI at the time to get the new single out...as a possible "teaser" before the Magnum Opus was sprung on the world (the Pepper album itself) Remember during the months building up to the June '67 release of the LP, The Fab were not only working diligently on the masterpiece but purposely keeping a low profile so as not to reveal too much to the press about the great musical "surprise" they were getting ready to present to an unsuspecting world ! (I remember the IMPACT of the album--what a memory !! I was 14 at the time..it was fantastic !!...I also remember the Monkees "Headquarters" was released the VERY SAME TIME---haha..it NEVER STOOD A CHANCE !! lol) Yes, I agree w/ most that these two classics BELONGED on Pepper..always felt they were SO indiginious to the work. But at LEAST they EXIST!!

if I had my way....(and THIS isn't tough), I'd HALF-RELUCTANTLY drop "Fixing A Hole" and put George's strange, but fitting "Only A Northern Song" in it's place (sorry Paulie, "Fixing A Hole" seems better suited to  the "Yellow Submarine" soundtrack somehow..(also in the film..doesnt it FIT w/ little "Jeremy" in The SEA of Holes" fixing one" while the song played???....DUH !!!..why didnt THEY think of that ??? lol) Then I'd happily put "Penny Lane" right after "Good Morning,Good Morning" (right after "fox chase" fade-out..just then in chimes McCartney with the first lines of P. L....nice, huh ? I think so...) Next I'd place "Strawberry Fields" directly after "When I'm Sixty Four"...I think this juxtapositioning would be mind-blowing ...emotionally powerful. Of course, the way things stand ALREADY is pretty damn amazing too !!!! wow..

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2007, 03:02:06 AM »

Great post, Mean Mr. Mustard! I feel your excitement, as if I were there at the time. (Actually, I was somewhere, but I forget where. Probably climbing crabapple trees and playing with dinosaurs in the sandbox.)

The great beauty of PL and SFFE is that they can fit on the album with no drops. Someone in this forum, I believe, calculated that. I would have really liked to see that take place. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2007, 03:24:23 AM »

thx, harihead (hari khrisna too)       I'd give my right arm to go back to those days (only THIS TIME I'd be 25 in '67 so I could really APPRECIATE Pepper right away---at 14, it took me a little while to figure out it's complexity)

anyway...the "no drops" thing would save "Fixing A Hole" then...cool. It's funny how the UK/ Parlophone and U.S. /Capitol LPs up to "Revolver" always differed so much in sequencing and in add/drops...but when Pepper came out, it was the SAME album on both sides of The Pond...which PROVES they wanted NO TAMPERING with this particular album's "theme" and set the "hands off, Yanks" precedent for future albums (the Magical Mystery Tour UK ep, notwithstanding, of course...in THAT instance, the American LP is an improvement)

(ps: the only song I didnt like on Pepper was "Reprise"--I know it was meant as a "coda" of sorts..but I always thought Paul knocked that one together in two minutes...not living up to the greatness that he's capable of)

kjm

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2007, 05:55:22 AM »

Screw George. Drop 'Within You Without You' and 'When I'm 64'. You add 'Penny Lane' and 'Strawberry Fields' all of a sudden Sgt. Peppers is the greatest album of all time. Hell, its not far off now.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2007, 08:38:04 AM »

Hi Mean Mr. Mustard. Welcome to the board. You arrived overnight when I was sleeping.

You managed to single out 2 of my favourite parts of Sgt. Pepper: Fixing A Hole, and Sgt. Pepper (reprise). I think Good Morning, Good Morning is the worst song on the album, so it would be awful to go straight into A Day In The Life after that. It prepares you nicely for the big ending. IMHO of course!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2007, 09:06:12 AM »

I remember Mr Martin saying that his biggest regret about Pepper was that it lacked memorable tunes. While songs may have been intricate and interesting they failed the "old grey whistle test" - there weren't that many tunes you could hum along to on the way to work.This had always been a hallmark of The Beatles  and one of the reasons for their success. They wrote excellent melodies.
The inclusion of the droning "Only A Northern Song" would surely only have made matters worse. Dumping the tuneless "Good Morning Good Morning" would have been a big step up.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2007, 09:28:16 AM »

Quote from: 185
Dumping the tuneless "Good Morning Good Morning" would have been a big step up.

That would bring it down to around 37 minutes. Surely there would have been enough room for SFF/PL then? Actually, I would have just included SFF. And put out Penny Lane as a single with Good Morning, Good Morning as the b-side.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2007, 12:32:16 PM »

Hey, I like that idea! PL has "single" written all over it... :)

Quote from: 373
Screw George. Drop 'Within You Without You' and 'When I'm 64'.
LOL! It's great how we would all passionately "fix" this album... differently!  ;D  Cheers.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2007, 01:09:03 PM »

As much as I adore, admire and appreciate SFF I'm not convinced it was a wise choice for a single. The combination of its slowness, complicated melody and lack of any real hook doesn't suit primetime radio, whence it must linger if it is to chart.
I like BM's idea.
don't follow leaders
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 81 queries.