Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Questions regarding the digitally re-mastered Beatles catalogue  (Read 8520 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM

Questions regarding the digitally re-mastered Beatles catalogue

As we are within 2 wks away from the release the digitally re-mastered Beatles catalogue, what I would like to know is whatever happened to the The Capitol Albums Vol. 3 that would have covered Revolver, SPLHCB, MMT, The White Album, Let It Be, and Abbey Road? I know it'll be in this set.

With the release of digitally re-mastered Beatles catalogue, we are getting a re-release of The Capitol Albums Vol. 1 & 2, and Let It Be...Naked, again. Btw, in this set will be the original LIB or LIB...Naked? Will we also see digital re-masters of the unique stuff from Past Masters 1 & 2 and Live at the Hollywood Bowl?

Does anyone know if there are buttons promoting  The Beatles: Rock Band video game or the digital remastered catalogue?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:54:40 PM by I am the Paulrus »

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
Mono vs. Stereo in the new releases
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »

With the release with the mono box sets and the re-releases of the stereo cd's, etc as many people and Beatles' fans, I'm very confused and have no idea where to begin. . . I'm eighteen years old so obviously I wasn't around to enjoy the releases in their original form, be it the monos or the later stereos.  I have bought all the cd's and enjoy them (they're in stereo, right?) but I do consider myself a Beatle junkie. I've been a fan since ten years old, I love listening to the songs just to hear something "weird" or the general humanity of the recordings (nothing was ever done perfectly there always is something cool that you can hear) or isolating a track just to hear the harmonies, etc.  I definitely want to buy something with the new releases but what do I get? The mono remasters or do I buy the stereos? I know the monos are what the Beatles intended, more "raw", etc  but even Paul said in the USA Today that the stereos are the improvements.  I'm in general confused about this all. . .  I love the Beatles but I don't know where to start with these hopefully incredible releases.  Any ideas or tips on choosing?  I guess this would be a good place to consolidate this discussion because I've seen so many things spread around the web and here.

Also, how is one supposed to listen to this new releases? What equipment? I know that through a basic mp3 you'll notice the difference according to the USA Today but what is the best way to fully enjoy the sounds?  I guess now with the advance in technology, the recordings sound better than they did in say 1966 though a basic LP player. 

I'm generally fascinated by this all and would love to hear from the even more die hard Beatle fans out there. 

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
Re: Questions regarding the digitally re-mastered Beatles catalogue
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:29:48 PM »

I will try to address the questions. I hope I can completely answer all questions.

As far as as the Capitol Box Volume 3. These new releases are not re-releases in any way. The Capitol Boxes were different mixes than what is on the 1987 CDs. Different in several ways. Different track order, different albums. The Capitol Boxes were the American versions of the albums. The new remasters are the UK versions of the albums.

We probably will never see a Capitol Box Volume 3 because from Revolver on the mixes were basically the same as the UK versions. We are not getting LIB - Naked. This is a remixed version of Let It Be. That album stands on it's own. It is not part of the Beatles canon, per se.

The difference between the mono and the stereo is dramatic. In 1987 when the CDs were originally released it was decided to release the first four albums in mono. The rest were released in stereo with Help! and Rubber Soul being remixed.

When the albums were originally recorded and mixed (up to 'The Beatles' (commonly known as the White Album)) the most attention was paid to the mono mixes. In some cases there were actually different takes used for stereo or mono releases. In other cases the edits were different, one case is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (the song) the transition into With A Little Help From My Friends is different. The mono version having a slightly longer edit and some different sound effects. There are more than just what I have listed.

I have not heard the remasters yet, but I do have both the mono and stereo versions. I too, enjoy hearing subtleties in the recordings, and I look forward to hearing new things with the remasters. Everything I have read, is that the remasters should live up to expectations.

Again, I hope this answers all of your questions.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

titaniumman

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 10:13:47 AM »

I will try to address the questions. I hope I can completely answer all questions.

As far as as the Capitol Box Volume 3. These new releases are not re-releases in any way. The Capitol Boxes were different mixes than what is on the 1987 CDs. Different in several ways. Different track order, different albums. The Capitol Boxes were the American versions of the albums. The new remasters are the UK versions of the albums.

We probably will never see a Capitol Box Volume 3 because from Revolver on the mixes were basically the same as the UK versions. We are not getting LIB - Naked. This is a remixed version of Let It Be. That album stands on it's own. It is not part of the Beatles canon, per se.

The difference between the mono and the stereo is dramatic. In 1987 when the CDs were originally released it was decided to release the first four albums in mono. The rest were released in stereo with Help! and Rubber Soul being remixed.

When the albums were originally recorded and mixed (up to 'The Beatles' (commonly known as the White Album)) the most attention was paid to the mono mixes. In some cases there were actually different takes used for stereo or mono releases. In other cases the edits were different, one case is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (the song) the transition into With A Little Help From My Friends is different. The mono version having a slightly longer edit and some different sound effects. There are more than just what I have listed.

I have not heard the remasters yet, but I do have both the mono and stereo versions. I too, enjoy hearing subtleties in the recordings, and I look forward to hearing new things with the remasters. Everything I have read, is that the remasters should live up to expectations.

Again, I hope this answers all of your questions.

I'll address a few of the other questions, and clarify on some of Gary's comments.

These releases only cover the music that was released by the Beatles through May 1970, that being the original Let It Be album. However, it does cover all of the released tracks of The Beatles while they were an active unit. It does not include any compilations (MMT not withstanding), only the original 1960's releases.

The only way to get the mono recordings is via a boxed set which costs around $250. Unless you are willing to part with that kind of money, you'll be acquiring the stereo re-masters. (The reason for this is the the mono recordings are being marketed towards the hard-core collector and student of their music.) If so, then you're free to get individual releases over time and you should get them all.

That said, if you can come up with the mono box, I would highly recommend that you do. First of all, it's a limited edition, so if you decide you want it later on, it will most likely cost you a whole lot more that the $250 you'd pay now. Secondly, these are in my mind, the definitive versions of their music. It is well known that these are the versions that the Beatles themselves oversaw the mixing of.

As far as how I recommend listening... the cheapest way to get the highest possible quality listening experience is by investing in a good pair of earphones. Do your research and then buy the best set you can afford. Personally I use two different sets of earphones for when I want to do critical listening. One is an ever-the-ear Sony MDR-V6. These are big and completely cover your ears, but they sound AMAZING and are comfortable for extended periods of time. However, they are not practical to use as a portable headphone. You should be able to find them for about $70.

I also have a pair of Ultimate Ears earbuds, that go inside the ear canal. These are also amazing to listen to, although not as comfortable as the big headphones for periods of multiple hours. They'll also set you back about $250.

Of course, the quality of your headphones is irrelevant if you're not listening to good equipment. The iPod sounds great, but if your really into getting the best fidelity possible (which you are if you've already gotten those headphones), make sure you convert the CDs to LOSSLESS files, so that the resulting music sounds identical to what is on the disc.

sregis

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:14:22 PM »

Of course, the quality of your headphones is irrelevant if you're not listening to good equipment. The iPod sounds great, but if your really into getting the best fidelity possible (which you are if you've already gotten those headphones), make sure you convert the CDs to LOSSLESS files, so that the resulting music sounds identical to what is on the disc.

i think how we plan to listen to these remasters is THE interesting angle to this story, and worth more discussion here.  for myself, i'm tempted to (re) buy a good cd player...tho i'm resentful that apple is only now releasing this in a largely outdated format.

Kagome

• A Beginning
  • Recording Engineer Toshiba EMI & Capitol EMI
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »

As for the Capitol Albums Vol 3 The Beatles have not authorized Capitol to release Vol 3. EMI & The Beatles have a new contract have that gives The Beatles control what is released! But The Beatles have to get permission from EMI to use the songs(recordings)  This should answer any questions why any pasted Beatles Album is not reissued on CD. I would love to see Love Songs and Rock`n`Roll Music on CD

qwertyuio

• One And One Is Two
Some questions
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »

1. Is the tambourine on Tomorrow Never Knows almost removed?
2. Does Michelle still slow down at the end?
3. Does Revolution 1 still have that extra beat at about 3:25?
4. Does the sitar in the intro of Love You To and the maracas on I Want To Tell You pan from side to side?
5. Any similar stuff edited or removed? (Instruments that was barely audible on the original etc)

qwertyuio

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 12:20:47 AM »

thank you very much, unknown moderator for putting my questions in an already solved thread, so no one will read it!

qwertyuio

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »

I don't want to wait weeks before I get answers, if this bump does not help. I think I deserve an own thread without being merged with another thread (or deleted, since it is already here) by the moderator(s).

tucka

• One And One Is Two
Re: Some questions
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 10:58:50 AM »

1. Is the tambourine on Tomorrow Never Knows almost removed?
2. Does Michelle still slow down at the end?
3. Does Revolution 1 still have that extra beat at about 3:25?
4. Does the sitar in the intro of Love You To and the maracas on I Want To Tell You pan from side to side?
5. Any similar stuff edited or removed? (Instruments that was barely audible on the original etc)

nothing to do with the mix has been changed on any of the songs, they are exactly the same as any old versions you have except with extra clarity and more punch, nothing has been added, removed or edited

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »

^^^ What I think qwertyuio is referring to is that there was some "cleanup" that was done.

The intent in these remasters was not to remove anything that was considered "Beatles performance". As tucka said this is not a remix, it is a remaster. Tucka is not completely accurate in saying nothing has been added or removed. The dropout in 'Day Tripper' has been fixed (addition). There were some mic pops and some bad edits that were digitally fixed (removed). There are some artifacts that are still there, the drum pedal squeak in 'All I've Got To Do' for example.

As far as the specific instances you speak of qwertyuio, I have not had a chance to listen. I hope this is helpful.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 06:41:43 PM »

I don't want to wait weeks before I get answers, if this bump does not help. I think I deserve an own thread without being merged with another thread (or deleted, since it is already here) by the moderator(s).

Relax.

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 06:44:45 PM »

^^^ What I think qwertyuio is referring to is that there was some "cleanup" that was done.

The intent in these remasters was not to remove anything that was considered "Beatles performance". As tucka said this is not a remix, it is a remaster. Tucka is not completely accurate in saying nothing has been added or removed. The dropout in 'Day Tripper' has been fixed (addition). There were some mic pops and some bad edits that were digitally fixed (removed). There are some artifacts that are still there, the drum pedal squeak in 'All I've Got To Do' for example.

As far as the specific instances you speak of qwertyuio, I have not had a chance to listen. I hope this is helpful.

I think it is, Gary. Thanks for that. In advance it was stated that bad edits would be fixed. The bad edit in Please Please Me is still there tho.

Page created in 0.734 seconds with 65 queries.