Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: McCartney Blew His Talent  (Read 18573 times)

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
Re: McCartney Blew His Talent
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2010, 11:43:27 AM »

I actually thought Wings music was rubbish, far below what Paul was capable of and a million miles what he wrote in the Beatles, whether that was down to Linda Ive no idea, I liked his 1st McCartney album though.

The Band On The Run Album,which has been critically acclaimed for years,the very good Red Rose Speedway,and his great rock album Venus and Mars *aren't* "rubbish"!

Paul won 13 grammy awards in his solo career,a doctorate of music from Sussex University in 1988 and a doctorate from Yale in 2008,and he has been in the Guiness Book of World Records since October 1979 when he got a special award as the most successful song composer of all time!

His early -mid 1970’s music was his best post Beatles music,his first solo album McCartney where he played every instrument by himself for the first time is a good album and he played so many instruments great,and he played every instrument again 10 years later on McCartney 2 (although I don’t like that album)his Wings albums REd Rose Speedway and Band On The Run are very good and only he and Denny Laine played every instrument on this album,and the 1975 Wings rock album Venus and Mars is a great album and he produced all of these albums too.There are 3 great songs on his second solo album Ram,Too Many People is a great rocker,Uncle Albert is brilliant and Back Seat of My Car is also very good.

Paul was also already playing the guitar and writing his own songs at only 14 and started to soon after his mother Mary who was a nurse and a midwife died of breast cancer and he wrote the beautiful song Let It Be about her after he saw her alive in a realistic dream he had 12 years after she died,and she told him in this dream to just accept things as they are.He said in his authorized biography Many Years From Now that when he woke up he thought how wonderful it was to see her again.He also wrote the pretty song I’ll Follow The Sun when he was only 16.

And Paul also played most of the instruments on his 1997 Flaming Pie album, and his 2 recent acclaimed popular albums, Chaos And Creation In The Backyard, and Memory Almost Full. And John Paul Jones, David Gilmore, John Bonham & Pete Townsend all played on 2 songs with Paul and Wings on the last Wings album Back To The Egg, in 1979, and they played in the last Wings concert too in December 1979.

Bob Dylan praised John,Paul and George in a 2007 Rolling Stone Magazine interview and said George Harrison was a very talented song writer in his own right but he said that he got stuck being the Beatles who had to fight to get his songs on their records because of Lennon and McCartney and he said well who wouldn’t get stuck?

Bob also said that there were no better singers than John Lennon was and Paul was and still is and he said he’s in awe of Paul McCartney and he said he’s about the only one he’s in awe of and he said Paul can do it all,that he’s so damn effortless and that he’s never let up.

Paul also won quite a few Ivor Novello awards in his solo career. Obviously anyone claiming this nonsense couldn’t possibly have heard most of Paul’s music,he did a lot of great diverse music including a lot of great rockers even some hard rock in the early-mid 1970’s before and during early Wings which I think is his best post Beatles music period 1970-1975(the great 1975 Wings rock album Venus and Mars I think is last true great album)and he wrote and played a lot of great obscure album tracks and B-sides many which were better than the well known hits,although I like the hits too.Beware My Love for exampleis a great less known heavy Paul rocker and it’s the best song on the 1976 Wings At The Speed Of Sound album,Wings performed a pretty good rocking version on the very good live rock Wings album,Wings Over America.

And John also wrote in addition to a lot of great rockers,some very sentimental songs even a few mushy did you ever hear his song, One Day At A Time for Yoko on his Mind Games album? As The All Music Guide rightfully says and points out,that the critical party line often champions Lennon as the angry realist rocker and McCartney as the melodic balladeer but they say this is a fallacy:each of them was capable in roughly equal measures of ballsy all-out rock and sweet romanticism.

There are many Beatles song examples of this too,Paul even wrote some of their earliest very good rockers,I Saw Her Standing There in 1963 which many people have said is a very good rocker,I’m Down which the all music guide calls a peerless and one of the most frantic rockers in their entire catalog,and they said The Beatles proved that they could rock really really hard with this song,John’s I Feel Fine and Paul’s late 1964 blues rocker,She’s A Woman which they said was one of the hardest rocking early Beatles orginals and they said McCartney to often unfairly pegged as a sweet balladeer demonstrates that he was also one of the best white rock hard singers of all time with his shrill yet rich even ballsy vocal.

He also wrote a lot of very good rock songs in their later career as did John but John also wrote quite a few beautiful love songs as well.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2010, 12:10:34 PM »

For anyone to say or think that Venus & Mars is not a good album(and thank God that by the majority of great reviews on Amazon.com and eslewhere for this album,they are very clearly much in the minority!) has to be deaf & dumb! This is one of the *GREATEST* solo/Wings Paul albums he ever did! It's great and it's Beatles quality because every song is very good & if anyone wants to know what a true music genuis Paul really is,just listen to the *music* in the great Letting Go!

My mother only liked classical music,Beethoven,Bach & Mozart,no rock & she played their music on the piano.When I was playing this album and she came into the room when Letting Go was on,she asked me is that Paul MCCartney and I said yes and she said Oh that music is brilliant,he's a music genuis like Beethoven!

And my sister who is 4 years older than me and had a big diverse music collection since she was a mid teen,bought Venus and Mars when it came out,and I remember listening to it with her,and her friend and my best friend and we all loved it! My sister still says years later that Venus and Mars is one of the best rock albums she ever heard and that it's unique and she knows no album like it!She always said his 1971 Ram album was a very good album too,although I like this album much better. Paul's best post Beatles sounding music was from 1970-1975,with this being his last true great album.After this he wrote some good music but he never wrote the same great
quality music again for some reason.

His first solo album McCartney where he played every instrument by himself (and  he played them all great) is very good,Red Rose Speeday and Band On The Run are very good albums too,and he produced all of these great albums by himself and co-arranged the music on Venus and Mars by him self also.Pete Townsend and Phil Collins,(who has always been a huge Beatles fan since he was in the concert audience at age 13 in The Beatles great first movie,A Hard Day's Night) both also played on Paul's 1986 Press To Play album,although I have never heard it,I know it along with Pipes Of Peace are generally not considered his better albums.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »

Paul wrote so many very good and great *rock* songs in the early-mid 1970's and he's one of the most diverse versatile music artists ever!

Some years ago a friend of mine lent me a book that came out in 1975 about The Beatles solo years and it said Paul was the most successful solo Beatle.And they said that the B-side of the (Great!) love song My Love was this great noisy hard rocker,The Mess recorded live in The Hague with Wings in August 1972 and they rightfully said that it just demonstrated how truly diverse and versatile Paul really is,and they said it's hard to believe these two songs are done by the same music artist the same year!

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »

The Band On The Run album is a very good album. Bluebird is actually a very pretty song,and only Paul McCartney can make a song about Bluebirds,Dragon Flies,and Pigeon so beautiful,it's his *music genuis* more than lyrics which for him is usually the case.Band on The Run is a great song,that has three parts in one in it,and it turns into a great rocker,and only Paul and Denny Laine play all of the instruments great in every song on the album,and Paul's bass,lead guitar,piano playing and vocals are all great as usual.The song Band On The Run,isn't silly either,I have heard other reviewers point out that it's about escaping,and having freedom,which someone once pointed out this is what Bluebird  is also about.

1985 is as other people have described it,a Great piano rocker,and I have always loved Jet from the time I heard it when it first came out when I was in third grade.I love his great rocker Juinor's Farm which came out almost a year later though too.

fanofthefab4

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2010, 12:50:25 PM »

Also, my first cousin who was born in 1968(who is a lawyer) and is big Beatles fan and calls them the best band that ever was,said to me many years ago that he's not much of a Paul solo fan.I lent him my Paul McCartney CD's from his best period(his father already owned the Band On The Run album for many years),McCartney,Ram,Red Rose Speedway and Venus and Mars.After he listened to them he told me there were a lot of very good songs he had never heard before,and others that he liked but hadn't heard in a long time,like Uncle Albert and Too Many People.

His older brother who is also a lawyer born in 62 and who is also a big Beatles fan,but said he's more of a Lennon fan,said after I named a lot of very good Paul songs from his early solo/Wings career including the great song,Every Night on his first good solo album,McCartney,he started to sing it and he said,yeah McCartney has written a lot of great songs.Their oldest brother born in 60(and their sister born in early 64 and their parents have also always been Beatles fans) also liked a lot of what he heard on these Paul CD's including on REd Rose Speedway.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:53:34 PM by fanofthefab4 »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2010, 11:17:05 AM »

For anyone to say or think that Venus & Mars is not a good album(and thank God that by the majority of great reviews on Amazon.com and eslewhere for this album,they are very clearly much in the minority!) has to be deaf & dumb!

Call me deaf and dumb then because its far from one of my favorites that he did. I think its uneven and mediocre at best with lousy production. Sorry.

nimrod

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 12:27:51 AM »

The Band On The Run Album,which has been critically acclaimed for years,the very good Red Rose Speedway,and his great rock album Venus and Mars *aren't* "rubbish"!

I only said I think theyre rubbish, maybe theyre not, dont get upset because I dont like them mate...its just my opinion.

I was a huge PM fan when he was with The Beatles, I just think his solo stuff is majorly poppy and twee, and yes IMO 'rubbish' designed IMO to get to No 1 with little girls swooning all over the poppy LP covers. Not my kind of stuff at all. Mull of Kintyre, C Moon, The Frog Chorus etc made me wanna puke, although each album had the odd song that I liked like Tommorow.

I actually thought McCartney was a good album, not commercial with some serious songs which I believe were written for the Beatles when he was with The Beatles so maybe thats the reason why, songs like Teddy Boy & Junk.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 08:50:21 PM »

Paul McCartneys post Beatles material will never ever get the real true credit it more than deserves!  Even when this brilliant man dies it won't!

Here's why, and it's very evident right here on this forum!

Because being a Beatle is so freaking sacred and because so many people have a preconceived notion of what a Beatle should produce and sound like that anything else they do isn't even given a fair chance, it's given a glance, it's mentioned very quickly, but given an honest unbiased very close listen for it's own merits, that seems to very rarely happen.

The totally unfair and unmerciful crucifiction of Paul McCartneys Wings/solo material is almost universally due to an unimaginable and impossible comparison to the Beatles!

It doesn't matter at all that the man has said that he wasn't trying to sound like the Beatles, he was doomed from the start.  I give McCartney major major props for having the guts to do something totally different!

Yet in the 70s this very same music that some just love to put down as low as they possibly can, absolutely ruled the charts!  Wings packed the place wherever they went, and rocked the house, and yes I do mean rocked and rocked hard!  Just crank up Wings Over America and listen to the songs Rockshow, Beware My Love, Hi Hi Hi, and Soily!   

I've never ever baught into the insanity about his post Beatles material, I paid attention, I really listened in spite of what some had to say, and no not every single song is Earth shattering, but I noticed that there was way way more good than bad, and I noticed that McCartneys Wings and solo material is filled with songs that are just as good and better than some Beatle songs.  I know it's the unpardonable sin to say such a thing, but it's the simple truth!  Of course they will never ever get that kind of credit, because of the reasons mentioned above.

How on Earth can anyone say that a man that was in the biggest band on Earth, and then started from scratch with his own new band, and that band became the second biggest band in the entire era of the 70s (only the Bee Gees were Bigger) broke and set world records, had #1 worldwide smash singles and albums, did animation, classical, poems, and paintings, blew his talents!

The very statement is just more of the totally insane and totally inaccurate misconceptions and myths that have been perpetrated about Paul McCartney and his post Beatles career ever since the Beatles broke up!

A total bunch of bull!

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »

The totally unfair and unmerciful crucifiction of Paul McCartneys Wings/solo material is almost universally due to an unimaginable and impossible comparison to the Beatles!john lennon
;sorry
i'm a big mccartney fan but his music doesn't really make people think as much as it just sounds great

How on Earth can anyone say that a man that was in the biggest band on Earth, and then started from scratch with his own new band, and that band became the second biggest band in the entire era of the 70s (only the Bee Gees were Bigger) broke and set world records, had #1 worldwide smash singles and albums, did animation, classical, poems, and paintings, blew his talents!

you're kind of confusing art and commerce in this paragraph
do sales equal greatness?

i do agree with some of what you're saying
but he's hardly a maligned victim. i mean, he's one of the most beloved entertainers.
people's impression of him is what it is- no matter how loud anyone shouts

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 09:56:17 PM »

Nyfan, you can say that if you want but who's to say what another person considers art?

Also when did it become a criteria for rock and roll to make someone think?  I listen to music to be entertained, if it has a message great, but that's not a requirement for me to enjoy or like a piece of music!

You posted something that is key, McCartney has produced tons of music that does just what you say, it sounds great!

Now wouldn't it be fantastic if McCartney was given credit for all the post Beatles music that sounds great?  To this very day, that hasn't happened yet!

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »

Nyfan, you can say that if you want but who's to say what another person considers art?

Also when did it become a criteria for rock and roll to make someone think?  I listen to music to be entertained, if it has a message great, but that's not a requirement for me to enjoy or like a piece of music!

You posted something that is key, McCartney has produced tons of music that does just what you say, it sounds great!

Now wouldn't it be fantastic if McCartney was given credit for all the post Beatles music that sounds great?  To this very day, that hasn't happened yet!

like... what do you mean?.... given what kind of credit by who?
like a global "paul mccartney's-post-beatle's-music-we-the-world-are-sorry-for-underappreciating-you day"?
-
or maybe if newspapers started refering to him as "former wings member paul mccartney" instead of "ex-beatle"
-
hey it could be worse....
they could refer to him as "the guy who was in john lennon's group . . " . .  ha2ha :-\

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 10:43:39 PM »

Nyfan, absolutely none of that is necessary.

How about the rock critics, journalists, and reviewers for once just giving the guy the real true credit he is due?

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »

that's the good thing about the internet - we the masses are the new critics !
these self important rock magazines are going out of business left right and center !

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2010, 01:15:09 AM »

I was ready to pounce on Maccafan because we havent seen eye to eye in the past, but you know what,,,he speaks the truth here. The only thing I will say though is that who cares anymore about how much credit Paul gets? I'm convinced that 98% of the people that review his stuff dont really have a clue. The first thing people do when they slap a McCartney album on is to compare it to the Beatles or Johns solo stuff when neither have any bearing at all.

One more thing i'd like to touch upon is nyfans comment about Pauls music not making people think. Why does music have to make people think? Why cant it just sound good and that be enough? I'll admit that Johns music makes you think. It made me think that John was nothing more than a bitter, depressed person and thats why I hate his solo stuff (well strongly dislike it). Not all songs need to be a riddle.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2010, 02:28:51 AM »

Paul McCartneys post Beatles material will never ever get the real true credit it more than deserves!  Even when this brilliant man dies it won't!

No offense... But I can think of dozens of artists who never got the credit they deserved... And Paul McCartney, with 12 post-Beatles #1 hits, sales of about 100 million post-Beatles records, and the best-selling non-charity single of all time in the UK ('Mull of Kintyre'), is not one of them.

nimrod

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2010, 03:18:53 AM »

No offense... But I can think of dozens of artists who never got the credit they deserved... And Paul McCartney, with 12 post-Beatles #1 hits, sales of about 100 million post-Beatles records, and the best-selling non-charity single of all time in the UK ('Mull of Kintyre'), is not one of them.

ha2ha

he wasnt exactly a cult artist was he ?

I think he was very popular with young girls like the early Beatles and like Michael Jackson and Donny Osmond were in the 70's (he even released a single with MJ), but for me, a grown man who was into serious music like prog rock and Jazz fusion what he produced in the 70's was nothing more than teenybopper music, as I said his albums had the odd good song like Tommorow but more often than not it was what someone termed 'bubblegum music'
I remember buying Bnad On The Run and trying my best to like it but ended up giving up on it. Ive re-listened all these years later and I still think it is terrible, just my opnion though.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »

Nimrod, you can call McCartneys 70s music teenybopper if you like, but all those record breaking and record setting crowds were full of hard core rockers, I know because I saw plenty of them with my own eyes!

Led Zeppelins John Bonham was right up front at many of Wings shows and absolutely and totally into it and loving every single note they performed, I'm willing to bet he didn't think it was teenybopper music!

I saw hard core Bikers at the show rocking out with Wings, in fact everywhere Wings went the rock crowds absolutely packed the house to see them!  I don't think all these people thought Wings was teenybopper music!

Anyone who thinks McCartneys 70s output is teenybopper hasn't really listened.  What's teenybopper about songs like...

Give Ireland Back To The Irish
Oh Woman Oh Why
Hi Hi Hi
Juniors Farm
Helen Wheels
Old Siam Sir
Rockshow
Soily
Jet
Beware My Love
Girlschool
I've Had Enough
Call Me BAck Again
Rockestra Theme
So Glad To See You Here
One Of These Days
Big Barn Bed
Smile Away
The Mess
Best Friend

McCartney has never gotten the real credit he is due for being a rocker, and if this is what you call teenybopper, I hope McCartney never ever grows up!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 07:53:53 PM by maccafan »

nimrod

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2010, 02:15:36 AM »

Hi maccafan

Just my opinion mate, Im not saying Im right, just how I percieve Wings music, as I say Ive tried to like it as Im a big Macca fan, I think he's a genius, but it doesnt work for me, I love the stuff he did with The Beatles (and McCartney 1) and he's one of the best bass players ever, but I just cant force myself to like Wings.

I admire the way you stick up for him though  ;)

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »

Nimrod, if you have a copy of Wings Over America, pull it out, crank up your system and give it a really good listen, I think you may enjoy what you hear.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »

I bought Wings Over America the day it was released, on vinyl.  I still enjoy putting it on the old turntable, cranking up the volume and listening to Wings at their best, every bit as much as the first time I did so in 1976.
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.677 seconds with 77 queries.