Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Most English Beatle ?  (Read 13180 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
The Most English Beatle ?
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:24:36 AM »

Which Beatle do you think was the most English , in terms of their writing and attitude ?
I think all of them lost a certain amount of Englishness through their fame and travelling .
George and Paul always struck me as been more at ease with their Englishness , whie John and Ringo seem more mid Atlantic ? (smile)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
Re: The Most English Beatle ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:38:05 AM »

What an interesting question.  Off the top of my head, I would say it's probably Paul who's retained most of his "Englishness."  I think I read somewhere in his book that he was rather taken aback at how "American" John's manner of speaking seemed after moving to New York, as though Paul were somewhat uncomfortable with that.  

I can see John and Ringo embracing outside customs and ways more easily, whereas I feel that Paul would cling on to his English nationality more.  I'm sure he's gotten a healthy dose of American culture, however, from his love of American music and from Linda and Nancy.  As for George, I think his heart and being truly belonged in India, although I don't suppose he ever lost his dry British sense of humor.

Just my two cents!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:40:12 AM »

I've gone with George , his love of gardening is very English , his love of India is also very English .
His songs although universal in theme also have a English feel to them , think it's it's due to the fact he had a very dry English/British sense of humour and a certain eccentricity about him ?

georgeharrisonluver

• A Thousand Pages
  • Here Comes the Sun
    • My Beatle's Tumblr!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:43:24 AM »

I voted Paul because he seems the most "proper" English Beatle, more Londony especially with Jane. George is a close second, he has the most "scouse" to him, but definatly George or Paul.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:54:58 AM »

^^^^ Agree about Paul and the Londony observation , he does seem more London than Liverpool these days .

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:40:54 AM »

Paul was married to an American his whole life though. How English is that? He actually learned to barbecue and stuff. Heh.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:46:02 AM »

^  Yeah, but they were all married to Americans at one point or another.  Paul and Linda, John and Yoko (Japanese-American), Ringo and Barbara, and George and Olivia.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:47:16 AM »

Not John! But then, he became one so...

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:51:08 AM »

^  Didn't Yoko consider herself Japanese-American?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »

It's funny. When they first came over and got their first impressions of America, Paul said the snottiest things. Then, he ends up having a great and long lasting marriage to an American girl, loses her, has a short and horrible marriage to an English girl, and then goes back into a great relationship with another American girl. See what I'm saying about stereotypes? I'm sure he's learned not to make such generalizations.

BTW, I'm NOT implying girls from one place are better than girls from other places. My point is about his arrogant attitude and how it ended up being just that, arrogance based on limited exposure to people.

Feel like I had to clarify that before the backlash.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »

Quote from: 1620
^  Didn't Yoko consider herself Japanese-American?

Maybe later on. But didn't she have to go through the same thing he did to become a citizen?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:04:07 AM »

Olivia is Mexican.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »

Quote from: 216
It's funny. When they first came over and got their first impressions of America, Paul said the snottiest things. Then, he ends up having a great and long lasting marriage to an American girl, loses her, has a short and horrible marriage to an English girl, and then goes back into a great relationship with another American girl. See what I'm saying about stereotypes? I'm sure he's learned not to make such generalizations.

BTW, I'm NOT implying girls from one place are better than girls from other places. My point is about his arrogant attitude and how it ended up being just that, arrogance based on limited exposure to people.

Feel like I had to clarify that before the backlash.

No backlash.  What snotty things did Paul say, exactly?  He was probably naive and ignorant back when he was young.  Lots of outsiders believe in terrible stereotypes about Americans, anyhow. :-/

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »

Quote from: 483
Olivia is Mexican.

Olivia, I believe, is American-born, but of Mexican descent.  So she's a Mexican-American.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 10:07:37 AM »

Quote from: 1620

Olivia, I believe, is American-born, but of Mexican descent.  So she's a Mexican-American.

Oops, she was born in Mexico, but moved to America later?  D'oh.  My error.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »

Quote from: 483
Olivia is Mexican.

Not when George married her. By then she was Mexican-American. Just like we're all Something-American. She was raised and educated in America and is an American citizen. Yoko on the other hand. Well, I have no idea how long she was over here before marrying John. She still doesn't seem American. She just seems, Yoko.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »

^^^^ Don't you think Yoko as a certain English prissiness about her , especially when she speaks , think that might of rubbed off from John ?
Paul seems quite cosmoplitain he's got the British/American thing, his Irish roots and his love of Scotland ?

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »

Yes! Yoko does seem more European for sure. But more high society than John. Probably due to her upbringing. And cosmopolitan is the perfect word for Paul. He seems to be able to absorb the best of all cultures or something like that. But he also seems the most proud of his roots and the most connected to his working class past. Like when he saw The Rutles and was a little weary. Then he found out where Eric Idle was from and said, "It's okay Linda, he's a scouse!" Or something like that. Idle says it on the commentary. I don't think the other three ever cared about stuff like that. I think it's cool though cuz it is so much a part of them.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 01:51:01 PM »

yoko looks more japanese to me
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 02:03:39 PM »

Quote from: 971
^^^^ Don't you think Yoko as a certain English prissiness about her

Found this quote about japanese culture;
"Japanese people tend to shy away from overt displays of emotion, and rarely smile or frown with their mouths, Yuki explained, because the Japanese culture tends to emphasize conformity, humbleness and emotional suppression, traits that are thought to promote better relationships."

I don't think smiling came easy to Yoko.  

don't follow leaders
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 84 queries.