Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Billy Preston  (Read 15088 times)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: Billy Preston
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 11:12:10 AM »

Some guys round here have.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 03:57:20 AM »

If anyone gets to go to the Beatlefests this year, he'll be there. He's awesome and a nice guy as well, very approachable, unlike when they had Alan Parsons there and he was a pompous ass.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 10:33:31 AM »

billy has a new album coming out soon.....

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 03:38:50 PM »

He had his Beatle tribute album in the can, and has decided to re-record most of it because he's not happy with the way it turned out.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 04:59:19 PM »

I'll be keeping an eye out for that. ;)

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 09:54:42 PM »

he is one of the great unsung heros.....

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »

spanking of albums......how goes yours rick???

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 10:07:15 PM »

Quote from: An_Apple_Beatle
I'll be keeping an eye out for that. ;)

JULY 6TH UPDATE: Art and Music cannot be rushed. We have just received word that Billy Preston's Beatles Salute CD/DVD has been pushed back again. We can only tell you that Billy wants this to be the best it can be and he was not satisfied with it. He is going back in the studio with some 'friends' in an effort to finish it up in a grand way.

This was from the Beatlefest website.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2005, 10:39:57 PM »

thanks for that update...

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005, 10:40:06 PM »

Nice one JF.

Music is cool PC, concentrating more on Beatle gig now. Flying off to JFK airport, Liverpool tomorrow to watch The Mighty reds in their first round defence of their European Cup victory. I'm gonna stand in the legendary KOP terrace at Anfield, visit The Cavern, Penny Lane, Strawberry Fields and Menlove Ave. if I can fit it all in before I return on Thursday.
As you may tell, I'm quite excited. This is a dream coming true!

The reality begins to sink in......Nice.  ;D 8)

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 02:35:06 AM »

well then you enjoy the hell out of yourself and i suggest skipping all sleep entirely...that way you have more time to do everything...eat only when hungry and quickly...run don't walk and have a safe time....

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 08:57:23 AM »

lol...Cheers PC..Glad to see your back and well. Hows the hurricane situation your way?

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2005, 02:13:41 AM »

all we got was severe rain......maybe the next one will create me more work...

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2005, 03:57:56 PM »

Quote from: pc31
all we got was severe rain......maybe the next one will create me more work...

Good luck...I think..lol

Skipped lots of sleep and my walk was at lightning speed and the food was eaten on the go, no messing around!!! lol

I still couldn't fit it all in. I'm just going to have to go back. Maybe Beatles week in August......Anyone else? ;)

KelMar

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2015, 05:16:24 AM »

Hey guys, thought we should acknowledge a thread to this wizard of the Fender Rhodes.

That's what I thought when I came across this Shindig! video from 1965. I guess he listened to the Jodimars record just like The Beatles did!

http://youtu.be/8atF1_-4kjs

Quote from: An Apple Beatle
Heres a biog. What a career! Not many can put all this on their resume. lol

Billy Preston's career has spanned five decades, starting as a child prodigy playing the movie role of young W.C. Handy and then playing organ for the likes of Ray Charles and Little Richard. His accomplishments are highlighted by a string of hits, including collaborating with some of the most celebrated names in the music industry, The Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, The Jackson Five, Sly and the Family Stone, Barbara Streisand, Sammy Davis Jr., Quincy Jones and perhaps the most famous of all, The Beatles.

Billy's relationship with The Beatles led to his signing with Apple Records in the 60's. Billy is widely acknowledged as the "Fifth Beatle" having been the only party to ever hand his name included in the label credits of the "Let It Be" and the "Abbey Road" albums as well as the landmark "White Album". Billy also appeared with them in the films "The Complete Beatles" and "Let It Be" as well as performing as part of them during their historic rooftop final concert.

In the late '60s Billy worked with John Lennon and Yoko Ono on their solo "Plastic Ono Band" album as well as Ringo Starr's solo single "Oh My My" and he participated in George Harrison's American Tour. In addition Billy Preston was a leading character in the movie "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" also featuring Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees, performing a stunning version of "Get Back".

Preston's name and fame were solidified as a solo artist when he scored a string of Number 1 hit singles including the Grammy winning "Outta Space", "Will It Go Round In Circles", "Nothing From Nothing" and "Space Race".

A prolific writer, Billy Preston penned the multi-platinum standard "You Are So Beautiful" which was performed by his friend Joe Cocker. He also wrote the title songs for a series of box office champions including "Never Gonna Say Goodbye" "Fast Break" and "O'Hara's Wide". The title song from "Fast Break" became a Preston classic hit when performed as a duet with the late Syreeta Wright. Billy also co-wrote the score for the Sidney Poitier movie "They Call Me Mr. Tibbs" with Quincy Jones.

http://www.billypreston.net/biography.html
http://www.billypreston.net/

"Preston first met the Beatles as a 16-year-old in 1962, while part of Little Richard's touring band, when their manager Brian Epstein organized a Liverpool show, at which the Beatles opened. The Washington Post explained their subsequent meeting: “They'd hook up again in 1969, when the Beatles were about to break up while recording the last album they released, Let It Be (they would later record Abbey Road, which was released prior to Let It Be). George Harrison, a friend of Preston, had quit, walked out of the studio and gone to a Ray Charles concert in London, where Preston was playing organ. Harrison brought Preston back to the studio, where his keen musicianship and gregarious personality temporarily calmed the tension.”

Preston is one of several people referred to by commentators as the "Fifth Beatle". At one point during the "Get Back" sessions, John Lennon proposed the idea of having him join the band (to which Paul McCartney countered that it was difficult enough reaching agreements with four). Preston played with the Beatles for several of the Get Back sessions, some of the material from which would later be culled to make the film Let it Be and its companion album. Preston also accompanied the band for its rooftop concert; the group's final public appearance. In April 1969, their single "Get Back" was credited to "The Beatles with Billy Preston", the only time such a joint credit had been given on an official Beatles-sanctioned release (as distinct from an unsanctioned reissue of some Hamburg-era recordings on which they were the backing group for Tony Sheridan). The credit was bestowed by the Beatles to reflect the extent of Preston's presence on the track; his electric piano is prominent throughout and he plays an extended solo. Preston also worked, in a more limited role, on the Abbey Road album, contributing to the tracks "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Something."

In 1978, he appeared as Sgt. Pepper in Robert Stigwood's film Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which was very loosely based on the Beatles' album of the same name, and sang "Get Back" as the penultimate song." Wikipedia

He died June 6, 2006.

KelMar

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2015, 05:26:03 AM »

Before I knew anything about Fifth Beatles I liked this:

http://youtu.be/I_e-RQZVwxg

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2021, 04:28:05 PM »

Billy Preston was just inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame by means of a Muscial Excellence Award:

https://www.rockhall.com/story-billy-preston

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2021, 09:12:25 PM »

Billy Preston was just inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame by means of a Muscial Excellence Award:

https://www.rockhall.com/story-billy-preston

Good to see. I didn’t realise there are different categories of inductees. Well deserved.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2021, 07:18:56 PM »

I too was not aware there were different categories, and I agree, good to see.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.739 seconds with 72 queries.