Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42

Author Topic: The Beach Boys  (Read 152070 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Beach Boys
« Reply #700 on: June 25, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

The turning point in the Beach Boys career was probably their "no-show" at Monterey Pop in 1967. Had Brian been able to complete "Smile" back in the day, the Beach Boys might have won acceptance by the so-called "hipsters" (the usual San Fransisco crowd) who attended Monterey.

First of all: really cool that you got to meet The Beach Boys and that you saw them live in the 60s!

I'm not too sure if 'Smile' would have been such a huge success if it would've been released in 1967. Even 'Pet Sounds', which was a much more accessible album (including four hit singles) than 'Smile' would have been, was a relative commercial failure by Beach Boys standards. And 'Heroes and Villains', easily the most commercial one of all the 'Smile' songs, more or less flopped as a single.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #701 on: June 25, 2012, 09:07:50 AM »

Hey, Joost. I wouldn't dare challenge you as a BB expert, although my knowledge is pretty extensive. We should compare notes sometime.

When I was 17, I used my BS skills to get back stage and "interview" Mike, supposedly for my school newspaper. He gave me an hour of his time. He was very gracious and forthcoming, except for sidestepping any discussion about Brian (the world did not yet know how bad off Brian was at that point). I found him to be very intellectual and fan-friendly.

Al Jardine, on the other hand, was rude and crude IMHO. Carl made me laugh. The "Box Tops" were the opening act, and Carl was going around putting handwritten signs on the dressing room doors. On the Box Top's door, he posted a sign that said "Cereal Heads" and on the BB's door, his sign read "Surfin' Safaris". He seemed to be doing it for his own amusement. I did not see Bruce or Dennis.

Well, I've read about quite some first-hand experiences that fans had with The Beach Boys, and it seems there are very positive as well as very negative stories about each of them. Some people say that Al was one of the friendliest and more charming people they've ever met and that Mike was a complete d*ck, other people will tell you the exact opposite. I guess that they all just have good and bad days just like everyone else...

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #702 on: June 25, 2012, 11:58:46 AM »

TomMo and Joost, are you familiar with the "cocaine sessions" ? I've found a bootleg, which lists the following songs :

'Yeahhh'
'Oh Lord'
'City Blues'
'Piano'
'You've Been Part 1'
'You've Been Part 2'
'I Feel So Fine'
'Heroes and Villains'

I've listened to it, and it's extremely weird. Apart from the fact that it's barely audible, the songs are just...very  sad and unsetteling. In 'Oh Lord' you can't hear anything from the verses, but then all of a sudden you hear Brian screaming from the top of his lungs. It's soul-shaking. Then you've got the spooky 'Heroes and Villains' and the heartbreaking moment when at the end of 'I Feel So Fine', Brian bursts with joy telling everybody that he just made that up, like it's some kind of masterpiece.

The bootleg also came with this picture, but it looks more like '77/'78, rather than '82, doesn't it?

http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #703 on: June 26, 2012, 12:08:53 AM »

First of all: really cool that you got to meet The Beach Boys and that you saw them live in the 60s!

I'm not too sure if 'Smile' would have been such a huge success if it would've been released in 1967. Even 'Pet Sounds', which was a much more accessible album (including four hit singles) than 'Smile' would have been, was a relative commercial failure by Beach Boys standards. And 'Heroes and Villains', easily the most commercial one of all the 'Smile' songs, more or less flopped as a single.

That's a hard call, Joost. There were a lot of things that prevented "Pet Sounds" from being a commercial success. The Beach Boys were competing against themselves with the release of "Summer Days" shortly before the release of PS. Capitol Records didn't promote PS, which made no sense since it was the most expensive record to produce (in those days). All of the singles from the album sold well, except for "Caroline, No", which was released as a Brian Wilson single. But the album DID make it to #10 on the American charts.

As for "Smile", Brian Wilson had the tremendous respect of the recording industry in those years. "Smile" was legendary before its release. If it had been released AND if the Beach Boys had appeared at the Monterey Pop Festival, I think it would have been well received. But to pull it off, they would have needed to include sidemen on stage, something they had not done up to that point.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
« Reply #704 on: June 26, 2012, 09:40:54 PM »

I am usually not a fan of "tribute" groups, but give these guys a listen. They are a British group called "Beach Boys Smile".

BBS sing "Surfer Girl" live a capella
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #705 on: June 27, 2012, 03:07:59 AM »

^

It's like 1963 all over again!  What a fine group!
I can stay till it's time to go

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #706 on: June 27, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »

I am usually not a fan of "tribute" groups, but give these guys a listen. They are a British group called "Beach Boys Smile".

BBS sing "Surfer Girl" live a capella

That's impressive. I've never heard a Beach Boys cover that came closer to the original than this one.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #707 on: July 04, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »

I was lately listening to All Summer Long, Today! and Summer Days several times, they're all very good albums. It was a nice surprise because I was only familiar with Pet Sounds and most of their hits. The Beach Boys are certainly up there with the Beatles and the Byrds forming the Holy Trinity of the mid-60's.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #708 on: July 04, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »

I was lately listening to All Summer Long, Today! and Summer Days several times, they're all very good albums. It was a nice surprise because I was only familiar with Pet Sounds and most of their hits. The Beach Boys are certainly up there with the Beatles and the Byrds forming the Holy Trinity of the mid-60's.

Those are great albums and The Beach Boys definitely have lots and lots of hidden treasures both before 'Pet Sounds', with Brian as a leader, and after, with him hoping in from time to time and helping a band that has already developed and learned how to rise up to their full potential even without him.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 02:55:24 PM by The 5th Beatle »

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #709 on: July 04, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »

Those are great albums and The Beach Boys definitely have lots and lots of hidden treasures both before 'Pet Sounds', with Brian as a leader, and after, with him hoping from time to time and helping a band that has already developed and learned how to rise up to their full potential even without him.

I've also listened to Friends and Sunflower a couple of times, but wasn't very impressed by them. I guess that as a casual fan I just look for their classic sound.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #710 on: July 05, 2012, 07:03:13 AM »

The problem with the early Beach Boys albums is that the band was supposed to release about three albums a year, so there are a lot of filler tracks that prevent those albums from being real classics. And that's a shame, cause if you'd leave off all the crap from the ten pre-Pet Sounds albums, you'd have enough material left to create six or seven really amazing albums.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #711 on: July 05, 2012, 01:02:23 PM »

The problem with the early Beach Boys albums is that the band was supposed to release about three albums a year, so there are a lot of filler tracks that prevent those albums from being real classics. And that's a shame, cause if you'd leave off all the crap from the ten pre-Pet Sounds albums, you'd have enough material left to create six or seven really amazing albums.

Yes. However I think that the three pre-Pet Sounds albums I mentioned are great despite some few fillers. I haven't listened to the albums released for Christmas beyond the well known hits, but for what I've read I guess I shouldn't expect marvelous things from them.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #712 on: July 05, 2012, 01:42:08 PM »

Yes. However I think that the three pre-Pet Sounds albums I mentioned are great despite some few fillers. I haven't listened to the albums released for Christmas beyond the well known hits, but for what I've read I guess I shouldn't expect marvelous things from them.

You ought to check 'Surfer Girl', a great early Beach Boys album with superb ballads such as 'Surfer Girl, 'In My Room', 'Your Summer Dream' and 'Surfer Moon'.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #713 on: July 05, 2012, 02:20:12 PM »

There are a few gems on almost all of the early albums. I agree that 'Surfer Girl' is certainly recommended.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #714 on: July 05, 2012, 03:00:44 PM »

I know the songs "Surfer Girl" and "In My Room" very well, both great ballads. I must listen to the whole album.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #715 on: August 07, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »

I'm going to see them live tonight for the first time! I've been to several Brian Wilson shows, but never to The Beach Boys yet.

nimrod

« Reply #716 on: August 07, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »

I'm going to see them live tonight for the first time! I've been to several Brian Wilson shows, but never to The Beach Boys yet.

have a great time, Id love to see them

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #717 on: August 08, 2012, 02:35:25 AM »

Yes, have a good time, Joost.  Let us know how they were.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #718 on: August 10, 2012, 11:34:40 PM »

I saw them in 1974-5 in Foxboro, Massachussetts and Loggins and Messina opened for them finishing their set with "Your Mama Don't Dance"!  Good show!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #719 on: August 12, 2012, 04:42:15 AM »

How were they, Joost?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42

Page created in 0.914 seconds with 84 queries.