Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I hate "Universe"-- real Beatle fLix r best  (Read 6797 times)

Re: I hate "Universe"-- real Beatle fLix r best
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2007, 04:33:24 PM »

Quote from: 551
Suddenly this whole controversy is reminding me of The Lord of the Rings movies. You had people who know and loved the book, who took issue with some of Peter Jackson's creative retelling. On the other hand, his movie introduced Tolkien to a lot of people who otherwise would never have picked him up. Of those, a certain subset came to be introduced to the beauty of Middle-earth the way that Tolkien had envisioned it.

So I suppose I ought to see this movie, to see if the analogy is appropriate.

I'll grant this ONE concession...that "Universe" could potentially attract new faithful to Beatle ideology..but that's it's only redeeming characteristic, IMO.

WaMoZ

• A Beginning
  • Saint George W Beatle
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »

I loved that all the leads are so young, because the music of the Beatles should be sung and heard by young people. I'm not saying the covers are anywhere as good as the originals, of course! Just that this is a good film which I thoroughly enjoyed. Oh, and I'm not that young myself.
I wonder should I call you but I know what you'd do
You'd say I'm putting you on But it's no joke it's doing me harm....
Tell me tell me tell me come on tell me the answer

BlueMeanie

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »

Quote from: 360
I too was VERY sceptical about the "Love" project (just read some of my past comments on this board) but I have seen it and my wife (who incidentally is not a Beatle fan at all!) and I absolutely loved it (no pun intended!).

Still waiting Al!! ;D

Quote from: 1026
I loved that all the leads are so young, because the music of the Beatles should be sung and heard by young people. I'm not saying the covers are anywhere as good as the originals, of course! Just that this is a good film which I thoroughly enjoyed. Oh, and I'm not that young myself.

I haven't seen the film, but I heard some of the music the other day, and it wasn't bad. Waiting for the DVD.

May I direct you to the Old Codgers Thread WaMoZ. I think you qualify!

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-conversations/m-1175854652/

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2008, 01:02:32 PM »

personally im just glad theyre are still doin beatles projects in any shape or form.

theres only so much you can do with original stuff, so its either get no more beatles releases of any kind or have some reworking of there stuff,i choose the latter.

don't get me wrong i can understand some folks reasons for having issues with shows like love and across the universe, but its also a great way of making the beatles music live on and recruiting new fans ? The Beatles don't get much airplay on radios now a days and apart form maybe a parent playing the albums in the house the chances of kids hearing them to get into them is very little.

look at the amount of people who got into the beatles after listening to love and went on to become huge beatles fans off of it, i think its great.

and you can always just listen to the original albums and watch the original movies and forget any of this is even happening ?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2008, 02:53:13 PM »

Quote from: 758
personally im just glad theyre are still doin beatles projects in any shape or form.

theres only so much you can do with original stuff, so its either get no more beatles releases of any kind or have some reworking of there stuff,i choose the latter.

don't get me wrong i can understand some folks reasons for having issues with shows like love and across the universe, but its also a great way of making the beatles music live on and recruiting new fans ? The Beatles don't get much airplay on radios now a days and apart form maybe a parent playing the albums in the house the chances of kids hearing them to get into them is very little.

look at the amount of people who got into the beatles after listening to love and went on to become huge beatles fans off of it, i think its great.

and you can always just listen to the original albums and watch the original movies and forget any of this is even happening ?

That's a refreshing attitude. I have no problem with this kind of thing. If you do then you don't have to watch it. And as you say, it brings The Beatles to the attention of people who otherwise wouldn't hear them. I really don't understand people who think of The Beatles as some untouchable god like thing, and that it's sacriligeous to make a film or cover a song. Ridiculous.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2008, 03:02:37 PM »

Quote from: 483

That's a refreshing attitude. I have no problem with this kind of thing. If you do then you don't have to watch it. And as you say, it brings The Beatles to the attention of people who otherwise wouldn't hear them. I really don't understand people who think of The Beatles as some untouchable god like thing, and that it's sacriligeous to make a film or cover a song. Ridiculous.

exactly there are still two remaining beatles and many family members of the deceased members and none of them have had anything to say on this across the universe movie and they all gave there blessing to Love which as you have said was originally georges idea brought to life after his passing.

if anyone should be having any sort of negative feelings towards these shows shouldnt it be the people who actually made the music and not the fans ? if they can roll with it, then why do some of us have a problem doing the same thing ?

and didn't it ever occur to you that Julie Taymor the director was maybe a fan ? and that it wasnt about cahsing in on The Beatles

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2008, 07:11:13 PM »

Is there another thread on this topic? Because I left my (very positive) review there.

I'd heard that Paul and Ringo both saw and enjoyed it. I personally found it delightful, and I can easily see why these guys would, too. It brings back all those memories of the times, which is fondly nostalgic for us old buggers.

I feel this is absolutely a fan creation. No one would pay attention to the little embellishments and accents to the songs unless they knew the Beatles canon thoroughly. My friend and I laughed with delight throughout. I understand many young people are really enjoying these songs, having been introduced to them for the first time. They may eventually move into the Beatles albums and enjoy the source, but even if they don't, it's lovely to see these wonderful songs given a new lease on life and reaching a modern audience. I say to the makers of this movie, hurrah!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 49 queries.