Beatles forums > The Beatles

Ignorant Inaccurate Things Popular Music Critic P

(1/12) > >>

fanofthefab4:
 >:(  There is an unfortunately now popular anti-Beatles music critic Piero Scaruffi and The New York Times had an article on him in The Arts section from October 2006 and the guy who wriote it Dan Morrell calls Scaruffi's web site The Greatest Web Site Ever! Scaruffi is also cognitive scientist and poet and the author of a volume called The History of Rock Music that has sold over 1,000 copies,and where he says the same ignorant inaccurate garbage about The Beatles,  and he has a huge music web site and  he has an irrational thing against The Beatles!  He really is one of these unreasonable people who is really mad about the fact that the group that he doesn't like(which I just can't understand!)  instead of his favorite groups is the most popular and critically acclaimed!  He says totally ignorant inaccurate garbage about The Beatles that is not an issue of just an opinion, there is *plenty* of  proof and examples from The Beatles recording engineers to debunk his ridiculous claims!  The wikipedia free online encyclopedia says that his reviews are conterversial and most rock critics around the world disagree  with what he says about The Beatles.  I emailed him back in the Fall of 2001  when I first found his site while looking for reviews of The Beatles. He wrote me back 3 different ignorant responses and then I just gave up and didn't answer him back. I couldn't argue with an ignoramus anymore. He actually  says such inaccurate ridiculous things as The Beatles never did anything of creative depth and never were musically innovative!  He also calls them 4 mediocre musicians who only became popular because of George Martin and Brian Epstein's great marketing!   Really whatever happened to the one hit wonders and the true artifical pop groups who had great marketing but are not the most critically acclaimed and popular rock group ever like they are!

He also says that no other musicians spoke highly of The Beatles and couldn't really understand why they were held in such high regard. This is totally untrue!  Jimi Hendrix played Day Tripper Live,and he also played Sgt.Pepper live in concert only 2 days after it came out,Bob Dylan said The Beatles chords were so ourageous and that they were doing things even in their early career that was never done before and that their great melodies and harmonies made it all valid,The Rolling Stones were good friends with The Beatles and big fans of them too,and Mick Jagger was t 4 Beatles recording sessions and Keith Richards was at 2 of them with him! The Beatles also wrote one of The Rolling Stones first real hits with the song,I Wann Be You're Man in early 1964. Brian Wilson says he was blown away by how brilliant Rubber Soul was,and this motivated him to make Pet Sounds and called John and Paul the 2 greatest song writers of the 20th century,Ozzy Osbourne has been a huge Beatles fan since he was a teenager,and he said in a 2002 online Bender Magazine interview that The Beatles Are The Greatest Band To Ever Walk The Earth! He also says not loving The Beatles is like not loving oxogen. Eric Clapton said John was a very good guitar player,and he would have known since he played live in concert with John as a member of his 1969 John Lennon Plastic Ono Band. Eric also called George Harrison a fantastic slide guitar player when he and George were interviewed during a 1992 tour of Japan together and were asked what they admired about each other. There is also an excellent web site,The Evolution of Rock Bass Playing McCartney Style by Denis Alstrand. in it Stanley Clarke,Will Lee,Billy Sheehan and Sting all say what a great,melodic and influential bass player Paul has always been! The 1992 Rolling Stone Album Guide also says Paul is a remarkable bass player as well as calling John and Paul the greatest song writers in the history of rock. The All Music Guide also  says these things about them as well as nd says that John and Paul were also among the best and most expressive singers in rock.In the Fall of 2001  I emailed Andre Gardner about this guy and his web site.  Andre is the huge Beatles fan expert rock radio DJ who has been hosting Breakfast With The Beatles on my local classic rock station for years, he looked up his site and emailed me back and said this bozo gave higher ratings to The Fugs than The Beatles! I never even heard of The Fugs.

He actually told me in one of the emails that I was the most intelligent Beatles fan he ever communicated with because I didn't bring up how many records The Beatles sold and try to use this as an example of  why they were great. He claimed he wanted some real solid information to make the case about why they were great not just record sales,so I gave it to him,I suggested he read the excellent thorough book,The Beatles Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn. Which is a very thorough detailed music diary of their remarkable 8 year recording career.  I told him that all of their recording engineers are interviewed in this book such as Geoff Emerick,Norman Smith who went on to work with Pink Floyd,Ken Scott who went on to work with David Bowie,and Alan Parsons a highly impressed Beatles fan was one of their recording engineers on their last 2 albums,Abbey Road and Let it Be. They all describe in details how truly innovative,creative and inventive especially John and Paul were in the recording studio. But this *still* didn't get through to him! He actually is a Doors fan though,they were good but they didn't even have a bass player and I read on some message boards people saying they think The Doors are overrated  pretentious crap and that they were not great musicians!

Also there are many  good music professors teaching courses on The Beatles at good universities. One of them is award winning music  professor and composer Dr.Glen Gass at Indiana University. He's been teaching a course on rock music and a Beatles course since 1982. On his web site for his course it says the main purpose of this course is to get students to have a better appreciation of this amazing group and their extraordinary recordings. Dr.Gary Kendal's Beatles course is the most requested at North Western University and there is also a Beatles course taught at The University of California. A music professor with the last name of Heinonen  at JYVASKYLA university in Finland  also teaches a Beatles course. Also The Beatles are # 1 on acclaimed music .net which combines all of the different rock music critics reviews from decades!

Bobber:
Never heard of the guy.

fanofthefab4:
Well I'm glad you didn't hear of him because he deserves not be heard of!  But on this web site called   Listology, there are quite a few posters on there that follow him and  quote him almost verbatim like they are brainwashed members of his cult or something.  A few even claimed to be Beatles fans before. It's really scary how they say how they totally trust and rely on his music "opinions" and  say they think he's right about most things he says!  But as the wikipedia says most rock critics worldwide disagree with the crap he says about The Beatles. The Beatles are rightfully the # 1 acclaimed music artists on acclaimedmusic.net which combines all of the rock music reviews done by many different rock critics over decades!

Bobber:
As a wise man once said: 'Don't Follow Leaders'.

There have been Beatlesfans and -haters ever since the early days. It is quite easy to critize what other people have achieved. It seems that the guy is neglected by most of his collegues and therefore will be no more than a footnote in history. Speaking of history: The Beatles themselves have proven him to be wrong. I'd say it's nothing to be worried about.

fanofthefab4:
Thank you bobber! :) But I wouldn't say he's ignored by  others please look up his site and read his review of The Beatles and look up The New York Times article by Dan Forrell  called The Greatest Web Site Ever about Scaruffi and his music site. It's very obvious to me  as I said, that he is the type of person that is really mad that  his favorite groups are not the most critically acclaimed and the most popular,so he resents The Beatles because they are and so he has this inaccurate irrational thing against them. I have found over 40 former Beatles haters on message boards and other web sites who are now big Beatles fans. I didn't communicate with them. But they say they had ignorant misperceptions about them and hadn't even heard most of their songs and albums. Now,most people don't hate The Beatles to begin with and most people of all ages love or at least like their music worldwide. But most people don't go from hating a group to becoming big fans,and this just goes to show how great The Beatles are! But what really gets me is the total inaccurate ignorant crap Scaruffi says about them! When I *know* it's not accurate!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version