Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The 5th of November  (Read 2260 times)

The 5th of November
« on: March 22, 2005, 02:49:43 AM »

Maybe someone (probably some of you from the UK) can shed some light on this: The last sentence of "Rembember" is 'Remember the fifth of November' with an explosion. I did a Google search and am wondering if it is in reference to Guy Fawkes? I always wondered what that was in reference to. Anyone?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
Re: The 5th of November
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 06:23:52 AM »

Yes indeed, it's a ref to Mr Fawkes. He was involved in a plot to blow up parliament. Nov 5 was supposed to be the day. He failed but they got him and the co-conspirators. VEERRY messy executions for some of them ...

Just goes to show that terrorism has been around for a LOOOONNNNGGGG time. People like Bush and the dropkicks in the "coalition of the willing" would like everybody to think terrorism is new, and they are the ones to stamp it out. They WILL fail, as they know they will.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 10:57:54 AM »

Yes indeed, the line was a jokey reference to the poem about the "gunpowder plot" which went as follows:

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
gunpowder, treason and plot,
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot.
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
'twas his intent
to blow up the King and the Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below,
Poor old England to overthrow:
By God's providence he was catch'd
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, make the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
Hip hip hoorah!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2005, 02:27:41 AM »

Wow. Excellent. Thanks. Whadd'ya suppose Johnny boy was getting at? It was recorded, I suppose, between his 'Revolution' and 'Sometime In NYC' where he pretty much convicted all Britons guilty of genocide because of the Ireland mess, etc etc. I don't know.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 01:09:04 PM »

'John Lennnon: Plastic Ono' was a very honest and autobiographical album written whilst under the influence of Janov's 'the Primal Scream'. 'Remember' is basically reminiscences from John's childhood, and I guess by repeating "remember" at the end of the song, it just reminded him of that old poem.

Most Brits only know the first couple of lines from that poem (as did I till I looked it up!) which is recited on Bonfire night (Guy Fawkes night) on the 5th of November.

andyec

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles always bring me joy.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 03:49:03 AM »

John was always throwing in crazy references. That was his sense of humor.  I love him for it.
 I loved all the lines he had on Let It Be. It made the album fun to listen to. I hate that they took all that out on the Naked version. It's really not the naked version,it's the humorless version and the version that shuts John up.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 12:22:41 PM »

Quote from: andyec
I loved all the lines he had on Let It Be. I hate that they took all that out on the Naked version. It's really not the naked version,it's the humorless version

I never really thought of it that way before - but you're right. I miss Charles Hawtrey and the Deaf-aids!! ;D

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 43 queries.