Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: happiness and sadness  (Read 4984 times)

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
happiness and sadness
« on: March 29, 2005, 03:18:25 AM »

when i listen tot he antholigies,( or any album) in the early years john seems so happy and lovable, but then later he is so mad and acts like he sorta hates everyone.

discuss

Paul McCartney :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
Re: happiness and sadness
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:13:47 AM »

as he says, he matured

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 04:16:08 AM »

then i prefer the unmatured john lennon

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 10:46:07 AM »

I wouldn't say matured, just another sense of what an artist* meant.
I always think Lennon was obsessed with the fact that he either thought he was a genius or a nobody. In the earlier period I think he may have been more confident, then around Pepper he started to think whether he was crazy (not in a mad sense) and then 68- onwards he grew confidence again, mostly because he found a soul-mate who was on the same level as him..Ono. The drugs also changed Lennon (Like anyone) although not in a bad sense, just changed.
I dont think he was loveable* in the early years, none of them were (well, to me anyhow) thats what I admire. The loveable image was just a mask that they were forced to wear in order to get big.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 04:38:49 PM »

Like many children with upbringings similar to John's, he craved attention, but at the same time shunned it when it came.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Runforyourlife

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 01:09:49 AM »

Quote from: number14
when i listen tot he antholigies,( or any album) in the early years john seems so happy and lovable, but then later he is so mad and acts like he sorta hates everyone.

discuss

Are you referring to the Beatle time period? I really don't see him progressing towards anger or hatefulness as a Beatle. I mean, in the early years he had songs like "You Can't Do That" and "Run For Your Life" which could easily be put in a not-so-happy category, but a few years later he sang "All You Need is Love" and "Across the Universe," which I consider to be very positive messages.

Now, in his solo career I think his perspective on life took a huge leap. His lyrics weren't as verbose and intricate and he seemed to say a lot of things very point-blank. A

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 02:29:25 AM »

When you watch John in interviews in the early days, he seems very happy and jokes around quite a bit. He talks about being a Beatle proudly and has said things like they wouldn't change or start their own lable etc. He was content being part of the band. He would often defer descisions to Epstein when asked about certain issues. Later on in interviews, he became more serious, less jokey, and came off as a little angry. Not that he lost his humor, but it came out in a different way. You can tell he was tired of being a Beatle, he wasn't part of the group anymore, he felt he needed to move on. But he did it in such a way that was kind of mean.

It was like all or nothing with him. Now he had Yoko, so no more Beatles. I don't know. I do think he went through a huge change and I do think the people around him had a lot to do with it. He seemed to need to cling to something at all times. First the band then Yoko. Even when they seperated he had May Pang. I think Paul's reaction to the whole breakup was based very much on how HURT he felt when his best friend, writing partner was suddenly done with him. Done with it all. Then all the anger afterwards between them. John was most biting in his comments towards Paul. Making a clean break I guess. I think he must have had some mixed feelings though. I think John was a confused person.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 03:11:16 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
When you watch John in interviews in the early days, he seems very happy and jokes around quite a bit. He talks about being a Beatle proudly and has said things like they wouldn't change or start their own lable etc. He was content being part of the band. He would often defer descisions to Epstein when asked about certain issues. Later on in interviews, he became more serious, less jokey, and came off as a little angry. Not that he lost his humor, but it came out in a different way. You can tell he was tired of being a Beatle, he wasn't part of the group anymore, he felt he needed to move on. But he did it in such a way that was kind of mean.

It was like all or nothing with him. Now he had Yoko, so no more Beatles. I don't know. I do think he went through a huge change and I do think the people around him had a lot to do with it. He seemed to need to cling to something at all times. First the band then Yoko. Even when they seperated he had May Pang. I think Paul's reaction to the whole breakup was based very much on how HURT he felt when his best friend, writing partner was suddenly done with him. Done with it all. Then all the anger afterwards between them. John was most biting in his comments towards Paul. Making a clean break I guess. I think he must have had some mixed feelings though. I think John was a confused person.

I agree with you 100%

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 03:17:30 AM »

I think the attention he craved (like Mairi said) would have been satisfied in the early days before they made it huge. He always referred to those days as the time that they made 'real' music. Then to go from a leather rock and roller to a suited, packaged product, he played the game well, sticking with the image. But fame, power and influence came quickly and massively. Now the rebel was a nice, clean moptop. I think he resented being 'sold out', and his resentment started showing fairly early on, the lyrics to 'I'm a Loser' tell a huge story. Once he got lambasted for the 'Christ' comment, a thousand trips of acid and one Yoko later, he just let it out. The Rolling Stone interview with Jann Wenner, he let the world know that he was a pretty angry guy. Hating his music, insisting that he couldn't remember what song was on what album, etc. Tried doing the domestic thing, but he was a tormented soul no matter what, and its hard to put yourself in his position. There were only 3 other people that could possibly understand what the experience was. People in their early 20s are still discovering who they are, and they never had that luxury. I think he was pretty much always in hell, and I hope he is resting in peace. Amen.

andyec

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles always bring me joy.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 03:20:43 AM »

John was all over the place emotionally-for his whole life. He always had a biting humor,he could always say things in a way that really hurt. But he was also always capable of being very giving and caring. And his songs were all over the map emotionally as well. From Help! to I'm Losing You,he always had moments of depression and anxiety,but from If I Fell to Beautiful Boy,he could also be upbeat and loving. He was never all one thing or the other. But,he did have periods where he seemed more happy and other times where he seemed more angry and depressed. He definitely looked the happiest just before he died.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 04:24:09 AM »

Yeah, I think John was finally becoming content in his life. He was going back to his music, he had his family. I think he lightened up on himself. The music on Double Fantasy kinda shows how he felt. At peace. Which makes it all the more sad that his life was suddently cut short.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 09:35:20 AM »

he changes his mind on alot of things

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 04:32:22 PM »

I hope John is happy where he is right now.....
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2005, 04:51:34 AM »

me too, I hope hes happier where he is right now then what he was here on earth

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2005, 04:52:24 AM »

like on the song mother, you can telll he is sad, and that he wanted his mother more in his life

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2005, 09:12:39 AM »

Yoko was his Mother.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2005, 07:33:17 PM »

no yoko was his wife

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 07:45:11 PM »

And his Mother.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 73 queries.