Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: most underrated album!  (Read 5713 times)

most underrated album!
« on: December 29, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »

so? which one of them in your opinion is the most underrated album by Paul McCartney? I choose... Venus and Mars

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: most underrated album!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 03:22:47 PM »

I went with "Back To The Egg" i think because it's just before McCartney II ,which most people don't like it gets forgotten in the scrum to bash that album , which is a pity as their is much to like on Back To The Egg ?
Old Siam Sir ,Getting Closer and Winter Rose/Love Awake are great songs from Paul (smile)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 03:42:55 PM »

Quote from: 1458
so? which one of them in your opinion is the most underrated album by Paul McCartney? I choose... Venus and Mars

I no it's your opinion 94beatlesrthebest but i don't think Venus and Mars is underratted , i think most would agree it's one of his better albums from the 70's ?
It's one of the few albums of Paul's i remember my mates buying at school and enjoying .
It also toppled the Carpenters from the # 1 spot in the UK on it's release , Wings were on a bit of a role success wise and this album sold very well throughout the world .

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:50:54 PM »

Quote from: 971
I went with "Back To The Egg" i think because it's just before McCartney II ,which most people don't like it gets forgotten in the scrum to bash that album , which is a pity as their is much to like on Back To The Egg ?
Old Siam Sir ,Getting Closer and Winter Rose/Love Awake are great songs from Paul (smile)

... "so glad to see you here", "spin it on", "to you", "rockestra theme", "again and again and again", "after the ball/million miles", "wonderful christmastime", "baby's request", "daytime nighttime suffering" and even "goodnight tonight (long version)" are really great songs. I wanted to pick "back to the egg" too, but there's one song in that album... rudolph the red nose, ya know  :-/

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 04:29:49 PM »

I dont know if you would call it underrated but it takes a bit of a beating when folks discuss there fav/worst Macca albums - McCartney II

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 05:37:27 PM »

Run Devil Run. Not sure it's underrated, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of attention either.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »

Quote from: 1161
Run Devil Run. Not sure it's underrated, but it doesn't seem to get a lot of attention either.

umm okay, but you have to know that Run Devil Run is a cover/tribute album of/for 50s classics, such as Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Fats Domino, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins etc I wouldn't consider it as his original album. sorry.

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »

Well i was tempted to vote for Mcartney II as its my favourite on the list but i can tell that its pretty much an acquired taste and no amount of lobbying here will change people's opinion on the excellence of tempoary secretary or the other gems of that album.

I voted venus and mars as i think Band on the Run gets all the acclaim but really Macca put 3 great commercial albums back to back starting with Band and finishing with Wings at the Speed of Sound with Venus in the middle. The standouts for me are Love in song and Letting go but the whole album is quite strong.

I feel sorry for Back to the Egg as its got some great songs but they just dont gel. Maybe its jsut the tracklistings fault but putting Arrow through me inbetween Rockestra and Old siam sir just is just wrong. Along with Getting Closer they are my faves on the album but listening to them back to back is quite uneasy. Back to the Egg reminds me of 13 by Blur as the songs are great individually but all fitted on an album something just dosent fel right.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 09:32:10 PM »

... "so glad to see you here", "spin it on", "to you", "rockestra theme", "again and again and again", "after the ball/million miles", "wonderful christmastime", "baby's request", "daytime nighttime suffering" and even "goodnight tonight (long version)" are really great songs. I wanted to pick "back to the egg" too, but there's one song in that album... rudolph the red nose, ya know  :-/

Wonderful Christmas Time, Goodnight Tonight, Daytime Nighttime Suffering AND Rudolph were not on the original album, but added as bonus tracks on the cd. Another album ruined in that way!

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 09:44:13 PM »

Quote from: 63

Wonderful Christmas Time, Goodnight Tonight, Daytime Nighttime Suffering AND Rudolph were not on the original album, but added as bonus tracks on the cd. Another album ruined in that way!

nooooooooooooo you're right about those bonus tracks for Back to the Egg, they weren't released at first, till he had released in 1993, but all of those songs have been recorded during that session, there are some video-clips of them.

fercarv

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 09:54:14 PM »

umm okay, but you have to know that Run Devil Run is a cover/tribute album of/for 50s classics, such as Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Fats Domino, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins etc I wouldn't consider it as his original album. sorry.

Run Devil Run includes 3 original McCartney songs, I don't know if that makes it one of his original albums but it's often mentioned as part of his main discography.

Oh, and my choice is split between McCartney II and Back To The Egg

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:14:05 PM »

Quote from: 1553

Run Devil Run includes 3 original McCartney songs, I don't know if that makes it one of his original albums but it's often mentioned as part of his main discography.

Oh, and my choice is split between McCartney II and Back To The Egg

only 3 songs of 15 isn't a proof that "Run Devil Run" is so original. whatever you can think about it. I love that album. Paul have nailed every song in his style, Gilmour on guitar is just perfect and Ian Paice from Deep Purple is frickin' crazy on drums too, but I didn't put in this list of his most underrated albums BECAUSE IT HAVE JUST THREE ORIGINAL SONGS WRITTEN BY HIM!!! so sorry again  ::)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 01:48:20 AM »

Quote from: 1699
I feel sorry for Back to the Egg as its got some great songs but they just dont gel. Maybe its jsut the tracklistings fault but putting Arrow through me inbetween Rockestra and Old siam sir just is just wrong. Along with Getting Closer they are my faves on the album but listening to them back to back is quite uneasy. Back to the Egg reminds me of 13 by Blur as the songs are great individually but all fitted on an album something just dosent fel right.

I'm going to agree with this 100%. 'Back To The Egg' has killer songs on it, but it just doesnt flow.

As for my opinion of his most underrated album,,,,i'll go with 'Off The Ground'. It has some killer stuff on it and it flows pretty decent.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 04:11:19 AM »

Quote from: 1161
;) agreed....

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 08:09:13 AM »

only 3 songs of 15 isn't a proof that "Run Devil Run" is so original. whatever you can think about it. I love that album. Paul have nailed every song in his style, Gilmour on guitar is just perfect and Ian Paice from Deep Purple is frickin' crazy on drums too, but I didn't put in this list of his most underrated albums BECAUSE IT HAVE JUST THREE ORIGINAL SONGS WRITTEN BY HIM!!! so sorry again  ::)

No need to shout! Where on your poll does it say that it has to be an album of all original material? I'm also going for Run Devil Run.

And sorry, but Venus And Mars, Flowers In The Dirt, Tug Of War, and Flaming Pie are not underrated at all. And that's not just in my opinion.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 10:46:39 AM »

i don't think he does...you better splain it to him ................thats paul at his finest...why can't it be considered???

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 07:12:16 PM »

Quote from: 483

No need to shout! Where on your poll does it say that it has to be an album of all original material? I'm also going for Run Devil Run.

And sorry, but Venus And Mars, Flowers In The Dirt, Tug Of War, and Flaming Pie are not underrated at all. And that's not just in my opinion.

I agree here.

'Flowers' and 'Flaming Pie' are often called Paul's 'comeback' albums, and 'TOW' is generally called a 'masterpiece.' I've hardly think 'V+M' is ignored by anyone,  most of the songs wound up being played live around the world. Sometimes these polls are a ridiculous. Who the hell 'underrates' these albums? The public? Out of the 4 of them, 3 were chart toppers.  People rated them favorably enough to buy them, and most 'real' critics liked all 4. What does 'underrate' even mean? It's another one of those weasel words used make someone's opinion look as if it were fact. How about an explanation instead of a buzz word?

Here, let me play: I think Band On The Run is underrated. No, really. I think it's underrated. Don't you? What? I do. You don't think it's underrated? Well I do. I heard someone said they didn't like it. It's 'arguably' his best, isn't it? It's underrated.

What the hell is the point?

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »

Quote from: 1428

I agree here.

'Flowers' and 'Flaming Pie' are often called Paul's 'comeback' albums, and 'TOW' is generally called a 'masterpiece.' I've hardly think 'V+M' is ignored by anyone,  most of the songs wound up being played live around the world. Sometimes these polls are a ridiculous. Who the hell 'underrates' these albums? The public? Out of the 4 of them, 3 were chart toppers.  People rated them favorably enough to buy them, and most 'real' critics liked all 4. What does 'underrate' even mean? It's another one of those weasel words used make someone's opinion look as if it were fact. How about an explanation instead of a buzz word?

Here, let me play: I think Band On The Run is underrated. No, really. I think it's underrated. Don't you? What? I do. You don't think it's underrated? Well I do. I heard someone said they didn't like it. It's 'arguably' his best, isn't it? It's underrated.

What the hell is the point?

??)

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 11:19:08 PM »

Press To Play is definitely underrated!

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 11:32:56 PM »

Quote from: 1699
Well i was tempted to vote for Mcartney II as its my favourite on the list but i can tell that its pretty much an acquired taste and no amount of lobbying here will change people's opinion on the excellence of tempoary secretary or the other gems of that album.

I voted venus and mars as i think Band on the Run gets all the acclaim but really Macca put 3 great commercial albums back to back starting with Band and finishing with Wings at the Speed of Sound with Venus in the middle. The standouts for me are Love in song and Letting go but the whole album is quite strong.

what an album 13 is though :) i find the album fits together nicely the only song i find might have stood out would have been coffee and tv if it hadnt had the slow intro it has running into it.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 76 queries.