Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Radiohead  (Read 5226 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Radiohead
« on: April 06, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »

Radiohead are rapidly becoming my favourite band after The Beatles , it's been a bit of a slow journey coming to them , i bought  " OK Computer " when it came out and really liked the sonic brilliance of it .
I got " Amnesiac " next as it as " Pyramid Song " on it which i just love , it's just such an haunting song.
And last week i bought  " In - Rainbows " , which is  going to become an all -time favourite album .
 It grabed me in the same way " Dark Side Of The Moon " did when Mr Gledhill my music teacher first played that album to the class in 1973 , i remember it coming out of the six foot wooden speakers , i had an emotional conection with it and the same thing as happend with " In Rainbows " it's a fabulous feeling when music does that , it's like when i first heard " Rubber Soul " your just knocked for six .
As anyone else heard " In Rainbows " ? and what album of there's should i get next ? a lot of people rave about " The Bends " ?
Thom Yorke as one of them voices like John Lennon , that sends a tingle down my spine (smoking3)(fish)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
Re: Radiohead
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 08:04:04 PM »

Quote from: 971
Radiohead are rapidly becoming my favourite band after The Beatles , it's been a bit of a slow journey coming to them , i bought  " OK Computer " when it came out and really liked the sonic brilliance of it .
I got " Amnesiac " next as it as " Pyramid Song " on it which i just love , it's just such an haunting song.
And last week i bought  " In - Rainbows " , which is  going to become an all -time favourite album .
 It grabed me in the same way " Dark Side Of The Moon " did when Mr Gledhill my music teacher first played that album to the class in 1973 , i remember it coming out of the six foot wooden speakers , i had an emotional conection with it and the same thing as happend with " In Rainbows " it's a fabulous feeling when music does that , it's like when i first heard " Rubber Soul " your just knocked for six .
As anyone else heard " In Rainbows " ? and what album of there's should i get next ? a lot of people rave about " The Bends " ?
Thom Yorke as one of them voices like John Lennon , that sends a tingle down my spine (smoking3)(fish)

theyre one of those bands i fall in and out of love with its purely about the music unlike bands like the beatles and others were im interested in the individuals and there story.

i loved them through bends and ok computer then kinda went off them then started listneign to them again with in rainbows and a little when they released hail to the thief

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 08:46:16 PM »

I can't say i know much about them as a band either fendertele , ive seen them on TV  playing  live on  " Later With Jool's Holland " i think it was they played songs from Ok Computer  and they really rocked  and i've seen a number of their video's over the years  and i know Nigel Godrich is there producer .
But i'm getting hooked on them , and the last person to do that was Kate Bush way back in 1978 , when i was 17 . So to wait 30 years to feel a similar kind of  enthusiasm is really great  (cool)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:48:26 PM »

I can't say i know much about them as a band either fendertele , ive seen them on TV  playing  live on  " Later With Jool's Holland " i think it was they played songs from Ok Computer  and they really rocked  and i've seen a number of their video's over the years  and i know Nigel Godrich is there producer .
But i'm getting hooked on them , and the last person to do that was Kate Bush way back in 1978 , when i was 17 . So to wait 30 years to feel a similar kind of  enthusiasm is really great  (cool)

check the mout live at glastonbury 2003 its one of there best and one of the best ever glasto performances by any band

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4278044451805175262&q=radiohead+glastonbury+duration%3Along&total=4&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:57:26 PM »

Thank you fendertele , ive just rolled one of my special herbal cigarette's  so i will sit back and enjoy the show (beer)(smoking3)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 09:00:14 PM »

Thank you fendertele , ive just rolled one of my special herbal cigarette's  so i will sit back and enjoy the show (beer)(smoking3)

(smoking3) enjoy the ride (eyebrows)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 11:34:33 PM »

Well i did'nt see that performance from Glastonbury 2003 , but i  have now and i'm very impressed with them live , some great guitar playing and Thom Yorke as real stage charisma , he reminds me a bit of Michael Stipe with his performance he lives the songs like Stipe does .
Anyway thanks again for that fendertele , i shall be hot footing it to HMV tomorrow for a copy of " The Bends "(beer)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:50:49 AM »

I havent dwelved into them yet, but they've been on my 'to do list' for awhile. I have no idea what their about and I want to keep it that way so that i'll go in blind. I'll start with 'OK Computer' and see what its about. I figure if I dont like that one, the rest wont have a prayer.

(A lot of people rave about 'The Bends' though. Who knows.)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 02:23:12 AM »

Quote from: 373
I havent dwelved into them yet, but they've been on my 'to do list' for awhile. I have no idea what their about and I want to keep it that way so that i'll go in blind. I'll start with 'OK Computer' and see what its about. I figure if I dont like that one, the rest wont have a prayer.

(A lot of people rave about 'The Bends' though. Who knows.)

the thing is ok computer is quite proggy and not as heavy concentrating on wierd noises and sounscapes and bends is a totally different kettle of fish its really heavy at points and more raw.

i would say try both as you may find youreself hating one and loving the other, as many folk i know have.

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 07:29:50 AM »

The Bends is a must have, along with OK Computer. The first album is mostly forgettable stuff. Being so much in love with The Bends and OK Computer, I had to had the next album, Kid A. Although a lot of people seem to like it, the shift to more electronic sound and experiments was a disaster to my ears. Amnesiac is slightly better and the same can be said of Hail To The Thief. Their latest production tho, In Rainbows, shows me a Radiohead that I have not heard since the good old days of The Bends and OK Computer. It is a brilliant album.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 09:19:19 AM »

Probably my second favourite band, along with World Party.

I remember when I heard OK Computer I thought that I'd never heard any band make such a giant leap forward from their previous album (The Bends). Unlike some, I am a Kid A/Amnesiac fan. In fact I can't play just one of them, I have to play Amnesiac immediately after Kid  A. And In Rainbows is a real return to form after a slight dip with Hail To The Thief.

Dave, when you're done collecting all the albums you'll have to start searching for the EP's. I recommend these:

Itch

Airbag/How Am I Driving

Com Lag

I Might Be Wrong - Live Recordings

And throw in the 'Street Spirit' CD singles for good measure.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »

They are the band I respect most who are around to today. Bends live in condert is absolutely a stunning performance. After seeing that I was hooked. Much like Bobber in my taste except i also liked pablo Honey...Anyone Can Play Guitar is a corker,

They got so much angst, passion & beauty in their music.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:57:06 AM »

I like their earlier singles. I don't 'get' their more recent albums.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 03:11:24 PM »

Quote from: 63
The Bends is a must have, along with OK Computer. The first album is mostly forgettable stuff. Being so much in love with The Bends and OK Computer, I had to had the next album, Kid A. Although a lot of people seem to like it, the shift to more electronic sound and experiments was a disaster to my ears. Amnesiac is slightly better and the same can be said of Hail To The Thief. Their latest production tho, In Rainbows, shows me a Radiohead that I have not heard since the good old days of The Bends and OK Computer. It is a brilliant album.

after ok computer it took a few albums for me to get back into them, there is the occassional song from amnesiac and kid a that are great like idioteque,national anthem,pyramid song....... but for the most part they are quite unlistenable, Hail to the Thief was brought me back in.

and yes in rainbows is fantastic easily there best since ok computer

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 10:19:08 PM »

I got  " The Bends " and  " Kid A " today , ive played  " Kid A "  and i really like it , i'm with you Paul i like this period , i think both albums show real experimentation , i like the musical texture of  " Kid A " and  " Amnesiac " .
They put me in mind of Bowie's  " Low " and  "Heroes"  , which also alienated a large part of his fan base when he did something different .
Thanks for the EP list Paul i will try and get hold of them too .

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 11:49:11 PM »

In rainbows is the best record i've heard in a long while. Seeing radiohead in London in the summer, should be amazing. I think I need to get into some more of their earlier stuff, although I can tell now, i'm never going to be massive fan of them.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 11:08:42 AM »

Thanks for the EP list Paul i will try and get hold of them too .

Some may require ebay.

Btw, here's a really good fan site:
http://www.greenplastic.com/

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 03:20:18 PM »

Thanks Paul .

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 12:38:02 PM »

" Nude " as enterd the Billboard singles chart at # 37 it's only there second single to crack the top 40 , " Creep " got to # 34 in 1993 .

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 02:37:41 AM »

Radiohead is great. I still think Hail to the thief is their best by far. .....

Paul McCartney :)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 81 queries.