Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Microscope: Unfinished Music #1: Two Virgins  (Read 22474 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Microscope: Unfinished Music #1: Two Virgins
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2013, 08:36:45 AM »

My 3 favourite solo albums ever are Lou Reed's 'Berlin', Dennis Wilson's 'Pacific Ocean Blue' and Paul McCartney's 'Ram', though I think only the first one can easily compete with any other album released by the artist's preceding band (The Velvet Underground).
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2013, 06:30:23 PM »

The fabs needed each other, without each other they weren't fab.
Well, no-one is perfect... Still, all ex-Beatles left a musical-print in the 70's to me. When I was a kid, I truly enjoyed the Wings, which were often heard on our radio-station. "Imagine" became meanwhile a worldwide classic, so did "Happy X-Mas" by John, which I just heard this afternoon. George's "My sweet Lord" is well-known, besides his concert for Bangladesh. Ringo was the first ex-Beatle to have a number one hit in the Billboard's with "Photograph". On the whole, they did pretty good on their own and I do enjoy their solo-stuff, although not as much as the Beatles.

They were extraordinary as a band, but every one remains "fab" to me even after the split of the Beatles. Two of them are still active musically and who knows how it would have been, if John and George were still alive.

Snoopy

nimrod

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2013, 10:49:53 PM »

Well, no-one is perfect... Still, all ex-Beatles left a musical-print in the 70's to me. When I was a kid, I truly enjoyed the Wings, which were often heard on our radio-station. "Imagine" became meanwhile a worldwide classic, so did "Happy X-Mas" by John, which I just heard this afternoon. George's "My sweet Lord" is well-known, besides his concert for Bangladesh. Ringo was the first ex-Beatle to have a number one hit in the Billboard's with "Photograph". On the whole, they did pretty good on their own and I do enjoy their solo-stuff, although not as much as the Beatles.

Snoopy

like I said 'the odd good song' mediocre on the whole though, Im glad you truly enjoyed Wings as a kid, good for you. :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2013, 01:13:37 AM »

At the end of the day it all depends on each one's personal tastes; and the fabs solo careers were far from being crappy, of course, but in my opinion they weren't more interesting than minor 60's bands like the Association, Moby Grape or Quicksilver Messenger Service.

You're right.  It all depends on personal tastes.  Are there any other groups at the bottom of your barrel that you would like to compare them to?  I'm curious.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2013, 01:56:06 AM »

They were extraordinary as a band, but every one remains "fab" to me even after the split of the Beatles. Two of them are still active musically and who knows how it would have been, if John and George were still alive.

Snoopy

Snoopy, here in the United States it was George who had the first #1 hit with My Sweet Lord in 1970.

Yes, I feel as you do that each of The Beatles remained "fab" after they split up.  Paul is still very productive and is a legend on tour.  Ringo is also enjoyable to watch and hear.  We can only wonder, unfortunately, what John and George would be doing today.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »

You're right.  It all depends on personal tastes.  Are there any other groups at the bottom of your barrel that you would like to compare them to?  I'm curious.

But those bands I mentioned (The Association, Moby Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service) are not at the bottom of my barrel, since I actually like them. I just don't consider that they are among the very best 60's groups (nor the worst ones), as I don't consider that the solo Beatles careers reached the level of the cream of that decade. I would also compare them to Poco or the Turtles, always talking in terms of general quality, not style.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 26, 2013, 03:01:35 AM »

But those bands I mentioned (The Association, Moby Grape, Quicksilver Messenger Service) are not at the bottom of my barrel, since I actually like them. I just don't consider that they are among the very best 60's groups (nor the worst ones), as I don't consider that the solo Beatles careers reached the level of the cream of that decade. I would also compare them to Poco or the Turtles, always talking in terms of general quality, not style.

When you make summary comparisons to other groups, I have no way of knowing how you feel about them.  The same thing, here, with Poco and The Turtles.

The Beatles, in their solo careers, can be evaluated on their own merits.  It's hard to compare their band to others, especially those of different genres.  But that's just my way of thinking and enjoying music.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2013, 03:14:13 AM »

When you make summary comparisons to other groups, I have no way of knowing how you feel about them.  The same thing, here, with Poco and The Turtles.

The Beatles, in their solo careers, can be evaluated on their own merits.  It's hard to compare their band to others, especially those of different genres.  But that's just my way of thinking and enjoying music.

Don't worry, I like all these bands I'm mentioning, and in a good day I could compare the Beatles' solo careers to more talented acts like Donovan, the Hollies or the Lovin' Spoonful. I'm just doing a comparison in quality, according to how much I enjoy the artists, no need to say that this is a subjective analysis and you don't have to know how I feel about those artists.

I'm just trying to state my opinion that the level of their solo careers was not only lower than the Beatles as a band, but also lower than many essential 60's groups, because the Beatles' music not only depended on their talent but also on the spirit of the time. Take the same individuals together in the 50's or the 70's, and it would have not been the same.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:17:17 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 51 queries.