Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Nowhere Boy  (Read 41015 times)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
Re: Nowhere Boy
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2010, 10:24:33 PM »

The casting for Julia and Mimi seem very good.
I agree. Julia especially.
Good casting overall, apart from Paul (oh it rhymed!)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »

Nowhere Boy got a good review in the paper today. It's quite rare when the paper's critics like something that I like ;)
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2010, 11:08:23 PM »

Nowhere Boy got a good review in the paper today. It's quite rare when the paper's critics like something that I like ;)
Or when they like something full stop

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

blackbird_

• A Beginning
  • I'm feelin' low, so get me high.
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2010, 04:32:44 AM »

Hmm, mixed thoughts.
I thought Paul and George's actors were very poorly chosen. And I really think they should have left out the bit where George is introduced. It just draws attention to the bad casting and it would have worked fine for him to just be in the later parts of the movie. I also disliked the scene where John is upset and starts openly sobbing in front of Mimi, and not really caring that he's doing so. It was very un-John in my opinion.
It was also very dramatized, probably to keep more mainstream audiences watching.
I really, really liked it, but the above problems irked me.

I'd love to turn you on.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2010, 07:24:47 AM »

. I also disliked the scene where John is upset and starts openly sobbing in front of Mimi, and not really caring that he's doing so. It was very un-John in my opinion.

I heard a radio interview where someone (can't remember who) said that during the "Bigger than Jesus" thing John broke down, put his head in his hands and openly sobbed. So it looks like John wasn't beyond a little crybaby action. Who isn't. We've all lost it, not always in the best place.  And it's not like John is some hard boy nerves-of- steel kind of man. C'mon, he's no Rock Hudson
Personally I can't see how you can reach a conclusion that that was "very un-John." In fact most things point to him being a rather nervous, sensitive (to criticism) kind-of-guy. I'm only guessing, but I can't imagine him being any less prone to emotional breakdown than most of us. Behind closed doors he could be as much Boy George as Claude Van Dam.
don't follow leaders

blackbird_

• A Beginning
  • I'm feelin' low, so get me high.
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »

I heard a radio interview where someone (can't remember who) said that during the "Bigger than Jesus" thing John broke down, put his head in his hands and openly sobbed. So it looks like John wasn't beyond a little crybaby action. Who isn't. We've all lost it, not always in the best place.  And it's not like John is some hard boy nerves-of- steel kind of man. C'mon, he's no Rock Hudson
Personally I can't see how you can reach a conclusion that that was "very un-John." In fact most things point to him being a rather nervous, sensitive (to criticism) kind-of-guy. I'm only guessing, but I can't imagine him being any less prone to emotional breakdown than most of us. Behind closed doors he could be as much Boy George as Claude Van Dam.

I'm not saying he was necessarily a nerves-of-steel kind of man, just that according to Mimi when he was younger he wouldn't cry in front of her, he'd start laughing, disappear to his room and cry there. I don't see him crying in front of her at the age he was in the movie, that's all.

I'd love to turn you on.

Bobber

« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2010, 10:54:54 AM »

Paul trying to make another point:

SIR PAUL MCCARTNEY has yet to watch JOHN LENNON biopic NOWHERE BOY - because he's "peeved" the actor playing his role is too short.

The film stars Kick-Ass' Aaron Johnson as Lennon, while Thomas Sangster portrays MCCartney in the story of the late Beatle's early years.

But MCCartney is not happy about the height difference between the onscreen pair - because he was just as tall as his Beatles bandmate in real life and insists movie bosses should have put Sangster in "platforms" to make up the extra inches.

He tells Britain's Seven magazine, "I haven't actually seen it, but I hear I'm OK in it. But you know what I'm slightly peeved about? My character, my actor, is shorter than John! And I don't like that. I'm the same size as John, please. Put John in a trench or put me in platforms!"

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2010, 06:56:08 PM »

I think Paul is right here! his argument is quite reasonable!

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »

I think Paul is right here! his argument is quite reasonable!

does it really matter?
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2010, 07:57:21 AM »

Dunno. I think it gives us another nice insight into how the band really functioned, as opposed to the Band Of Brothers  of legend. Paul still rankles at being percieved as second fiddle to Lennon, while Lennon packs a sad at George for how many years because he doesn't get a mention in his book.
It would be easy to deduce that like The Stones, Or Pink Floyd, or The Beach Boys,  competition, rivalry, jealousy and even personal animosity creates better music than any hippy love-fest nonsense. Oh, and lots of drugs.
We worship at a very strange shrine.
don't follow leaders

eroz0

• A Beginning
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2010, 12:20:42 PM »

I think it gives an insight on how the press twists things to create headlines.

Paul was laughing when he made that comment. He was obviously joking. He probably did it to avoid giving a straight answer about the movie, which he doesn't particularly care for, judging from previous comments.
If I remember correctly, the director is a family friend and I guess he was trying to be diplomatic.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2010, 07:07:46 PM »

It gave me multiple tears in my eyes :-[ had to wipe 'em off quickly before the lights came back on ;)
And I agree about the soundtrack 8)

I`ve just seen the film. I LOVE IT! I really believe it is a very good (kind of drama) film. It got me crying through to the end: tears dropping... The film is very emotional, more so cause you know the story and can feel every episode of it. The guys played very well, though Paul looks funny, but resembles real young Paul.
The women are wonderful, both Mimi and Julia. The guy I was with, who is not a Beatles fan, liked the film too. He said: Great. Very good indeed.

jhonnymarsh

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2010, 07:43:36 AM »

Matt Greenhalgh, who won a BAFTA for his screenplay about the last years of Joy Division, Ian Curtis, is to focus the writing is a lonely teenager of the future Beatle, who was brought to his aunt after his mother abandoned authoritarian . The film titled Nowhere Boy, Lennon finds solace in his music, art and friendship with Paul McCartney.

KelMar

« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »

I finally saw this. I still wonder about the accuracy but one thing is for sure; I bawled my eyes out during the tearful scene between John and Paul, after John decks him. If Paul really did offer that kind of emotional support it would have definitely been a defining moment in their friendship. Overall I liked it. The whole flirtatious mom bit was kind of weird but once she settled down it was better.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »

I really liked this movie, more than I thought I would. The casting was excellent, I thought, except the Paul character really didn't seem to look much like Paul, IMO. But Mimi and Julia were almost exactly how I pictured them as they were in real life.

I makes me think of James Cameron's Titanic movie: You need to try to find actors who are talented enough for the part yet still resemble the real-life character, and that's gotta be difficult. And luckily, Nowhere Boy had no annoying fictitious subplot a la Jack and Rose (although I understand a movie solely about the Titanic would never have appealed to a mass audience.)

I thought both the casting and acting in Nowhere Boy were great. I felt like I was really witnessing part of John's childhood/teen years.

One thing I'm curious as to why they left out was Mimi's famous refrain "The guitar's all right for a hobby, John, but you'll never make any money with it." (I probably paraphrased that incorrectly, but you guys know what I mean!  ;) )

nimrod

« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »

I watched Nowhere Boy last night and I was absolutely riveted to it, a superbly well made film getting the balance dead right I thought, both the main women in Johns young life were played superbly, as were the actors playing John & Paul.

Everything looked realistic to me, the guitars, clothes, vehicles etc

I cant recommend it enough. 9/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1266029/

AppleScruffy96

• Getting Better
  • Love is old Love is new Love is all Love is you <3
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2011, 03:07:30 PM »

I cried my eyes out when I watched this movie  ha2ha  ;yes it was very good.
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #138 on: May 15, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »

I finally got around to watching this film and I really loved it. I thought it was a well-rounded portrait of John and his family.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.646 seconds with 81 queries.