Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Nowhere Boy  (Read 41031 times)

eroz0

• A Beginning
Re: Nowhere Boy
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 09:40:27 AM »

The guy who did the screenplay also wrote Control, the Ian Curtis  (Joy Division) movie, which was very well recieved and nominated for heaps of awards. The studio also seems well regarded.
Although it's her first movie, the director is very "art house" and has been nominated for BAFTA's (British oscars) for a short movie (a rock based romance.) She's also a very well respected conceptual artist.*
It might be okay. Interesting to see how much myth will creep in.

*sudden horror thought - I hope she's not connected with Yoko.
I meant it doesn't look very promising as far as historical accuracy goes. It might be a great movie, but if it's not true to facts, I know I won't enjoy it.

It's not connected to Yoko in any way. It's based on Julia Baird's book and the director seems to have a friendly relationship with the McCartney family, I think she's friends or has worked with Mary in the past. I said Paul didn't like it because in an interview he talked about how books etc. can be inaccurate and he brought up the movie as an example he said that they screened it for him and he told Taylor-Wood something like "This is all wrong, Sam, it wasn't like that at all".

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
Nowhere Boy trailer
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 10:03:28 PM »

here's the trailer for the movie ;D
Nowhere Boy - Official Trailer - HD

George does not approve.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
Re: Nowhere Boy trailer
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 11:52:18 PM »

Aw ok I wanna see that.  It looks like a really sweet movie.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 01:40:37 AM »

Yah thats what I thought. Is it worldwide???

georgeharrisonluver

• A Thousand Pages
  • Here Comes the Sun
    • My Beatle's Tumblr!
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »

okay, I have to see that now!

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2009, 11:47:14 AM »

That looks a good film heard it could be out this Xmas

eroz0

• A Beginning
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »

Blue-eyed John is just wrong. Haven't they heard of contacts?

And the Paul actor is just as bad. I don't mind if an actor doesn't look exactly like the actual person they play, but they could at least find someone with a similar body type. This kid is all angles.

Acting ability is more important than looks, of course, but their appearance is distracting. And the problem could have easily been avoided.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »

Blue-eyed John is just wrong. Haven't they heard of contacts?

And the Paul actor is just as bad. I don't mind if an actor doesn't look exactly like the actual person they play, but they could at least find someone with a similar body type. This kid is all angles.

Acting ability is more important than looks, of course, but their appearance is distracting. And the problem could have easily been avoided.
^ Maybe. Everyone said the same when Val Kilmer got to play Jim Morrison, but he ended up perfect. "Paul" looks okay to me. Babyfaced and gangly should do it.
I heard the tail end of a radio interview with the director. She knows she'll never please Beatle fans. She said it was exceptionally hard to decide whose "truth" was more accurate than other's "truths"
don't follow leaders

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2009, 03:17:25 PM »

Exactly my thoughts Kevin.  I'm just intending to take this movie with a grain of (creative) salt, almost like Backbeat in a way.  It may not be the exact way things unfolded but there's only one person who would have known that, and unfortunately nobody can ask him.  Of course I'm expecting creative liberties but it honestly looks a lot better than I expected.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

eroz0

• A Beginning
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2009, 03:28:06 PM »

^ Maybe. Everyone said the same when Val Kilmer got to play Jim Morrison, but he ended up perfect. "Paul" looks okay to me. Babyfaced and gangly should do it.
I heard the tail end of a radio interview with the director. She knows she'll never please Beatle fans. She said it was exceptionally hard to decide whose "truth" was more accurate than other's "truths"
Gangly is totally wrong for Paul, IMO. If anything, he was plump as a teenager.

I don't know, I guess it could turn out to be a good film, but I'm afraid the look of the actors will be distracting to me. On the bright side, I adore Kristin Scott Thomas and I think she's perfectly cast as Mimi.

On the whole, I'm afraid this is going to turn out as another "Backbeat" which I loathed, but I'll give it a try.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2009, 03:43:04 PM »

Dunno. I think that plumpness might have come with the good living lifestyle of being a rockstar.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:15:31 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2009, 03:52:19 PM »

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:01:35 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

Paulram

• A Beginning
Nowhere Boy: New John Movie?
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »

So apparently I'm very unplugged from the John Lennon World ;D because I just found out that the movie Nowhere Boy is about him :) But I don't know too much about it. Anybody else?

I think I want to see it if it's not R
If slaughter houses had glass walls no one would eat meat- Paul McCartney

BlueMeanie

Re: Nowhere Boy: New John Movie?
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2009, 05:20:18 PM »

Now merged with original thread.

Please, please, please look before posting guys!!!!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 05:23:11 PM by BlueMeanie »

eroz0

• A Beginning
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2009, 06:10:54 PM »

Dunno. I think that plumpness might have come with the good living lifestyle of being a rockstar.

Most of the photos you linked are from Hamburg and post-Hamburg. He reportedly lost a lot of weight during their stay in Hamburg, but before that he was considered plump. In fact his brother used to call him fatty (although, he wasn't really fat). This is from an article Mike wrote back in the 60s:

Paul loved everything sweet. He'd eat sweets and cakes until he exploded if somebody didn't stop him. Toleration and Moderation, young Paul! He ate so much sweet stuff that he grew very fat in his early teens. I used to call him Fatty. He didn't like that, of course. But he was a fatty. Weren't you, Fatty?

That five-week season in the nightclub-quarter of Hamburg almost finished the Beatles before they had really started! They were worked practically to death. Their hours were little short of suicide - from 10 p.m. till midnight and from 2 a.m. till 5 a.m. Fantastic hours for kids who were little more than schoolboys. And even then they had to buy their own food - which didn't leave very much over for expensive guitars or clothes or other things. When Paul returned home and rang the front doorbell, Dad and I hardly recognized him. His hair was really wild and he was so thin that he looked like a refugee from a concentration camp. I couldn't call him "Fatty" any more, and even though we did fatten him up a bit again, he was never so chubby.

Unfortunately, there are very few, if any, pictures from that time. The last one you linked is maybe around that time, or a little later. He is definitely not fat, but he is not gangly either.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 06:13:32 PM by eroz0 »

BlueMeanie

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2009, 06:25:56 PM »

He may well have been a bit of a tub in his pre Hamburg days, but unless you're a hardcore fan such as those on forums like this one, you wouldn't know it, and you'd think it was odd portraying him like that.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »

This looks really sweet. I think it will be pretty good! After watching the preview you get a whole new sense of the film.

The only downer is the looks of John. But I guess I can get past that bit. It looks really sad. But I want to see it!! :)

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2009, 10:28:50 PM »

I already want to see the film. And I won`t be too critical.

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2009, 11:10:46 PM »

paul had his babyfat face and i heard he was teased

i always assumed that was one reason he was a sensitive person

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2009, 11:13:48 PM »

trailer looks good !  ;yes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 86 queries.