Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Favorite compilations  (Read 2953 times)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
Favorite compilations
« on: January 25, 2015, 11:25:50 PM »

1. The Who: The Very Best Of The Who (1965-1981). My first record by the Who, and it completely blew me away. I think it's a great introduction of the band; and although I already have the original albums, I still need it because 10 of the 20 songs are non-album singles.

2. The Beatles: Past Masters 2 (1965-1970). A very essential compilation because, as we all know, it includes non-album singles by the Fab Four. In my opinion, most of the tracks rank among the best Beatles work.

3. Cream: The Very Best Of Cream (1966-1969). An excellent collection with everything I need by the trio. Complete and representative are the key words: 20 tracks from a band that recorded only 4 (or should I say 3) studio albums.

4. The Beach Boys: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys (1962-1988). Pet Sounds and this compilation are all the Beach Boys records I need. Although it includes 30 hits from a period of 26 years, it's focussed on the mid-60's, the great time of the band.

5. The Kinks: The Singles Collection (1964-1970). A very complete collection of 60's singles by the Kinks. It contains 25 tracks and it's almost the equivalent of the Beatles' Past Masters.

6. The Yardbirds: Greatest Hits (1964-1966). This record is a perfect testimony of the wild experimentation of the Yardbirds during the Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck days. It contains almost everything we can find in the American albums For Your Love and Having A Rave Up.

7. The Beatles: Past Masters 1 (1962-1965). The other essential Beatles compilation. I think it's not as impressive as the second volume because the band had not reached its peak yet, but it's wonderful and relevant anyway.

8. Buffalo Springfield: Retrospective (1966-1968). A nice summary of the Buffalo Springfield brief catalog (they only recorded 3 albums). Highly recommendable if you need just one album by the band.

9. Simon & Garfunkel: Greatest Hits (1965-1970). This is a famous compilation released in the early 70's. It includes the most well known hits by the duo plus some live recordings.

10. The Zombies: The Singles A's & B's (1964-1967). One of several A's & B's compilations by the Zombies. I prefer this one because it includes both sides of the 11 singles released before the marvelous Odessey And Oracle, so nothing is repeated here and there; thus, you don't need other longer compilations if you have Odessey And Oracle (and you should have it!).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:23:52 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Favorite compilations
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 12:38:33 AM »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 12:50:03 AM »

This is the Moody Blues I've always thought was a well selected and sequenced compilation.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:48:15 AM »

4. The Beach Boys: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys (1962-1988).[/b] Pet Sounds and this compilation are all the Beach Boys records I need. Although it includes 30 hits from a period of 26 years, it's focussed in the mid-60's, the great time of the band.
I respect your opinion of course, but IMO this is the exact same thing as saying that 'Sgt. Pepper' and the '1962-1966' double LP are the only Beatles records you need. IMO, the Beach Boys' greatest hits compilations are not at all representative for what they did throughout their career. Usually they only have the hits from 1962-1967 plus 'Kokomo', while I really think that The Beach Boys made their best and most interesting albums between 1966 and 1972.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »

I respect your opinion of course, but IMO this is the exact same thing as saying that 'Sgt. Pepper' and the '1962-1966' double LP are the only Beatles records you need. IMO, the Beach Boys' greatest hits compilations are not at all representative for what they did throughout their career. Usually they only have the hits from 1962-1967 plus 'Kokomo', while I really think that The Beach Boys made their best and most interesting albums between 1966 and 1972.

I know, and I also respect your opinion. It's a fair comparison that you made with the Beatles. In my case, I've listened to several early and mid-60's albums by the Beach Boys, and I was only fully satisfied with Pet Sounds. I think the other albums from 1962-1967 are mixes of elaborated hits and too many fillers, but this can be explained by the large amount of LPs they released in that period. I've also tried to dig later albums like Friends and Sunflower, and though I think they are quite pleasant, I guess I'm the kind of fan that just sticks to their classic sound.

However, I do love the Beach Boys. But I'm a selective music fan more than a completist. Actually I do the same thing with other artists I love (Cream, the Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield, Simon & Garfunkel), even when I've listened to most of their records. I just have quite complete discographies of half-dozen bands.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 06:53:04 PM »

My faves tend to come from the also-rans of the era (The Creation, The Birds, The Action.....and I'm going to get The Artwoods, The Seeds and The Bo Street Runners' comps soon) because they tend to be 'complete'.

Of the big names.....

1. The Rolling Stones - 'The London Years' which includes the sublime 'Child Of The Moon', about the only compilation that does, and (the no.1 if it had been credited to The Stones) 'Memo From Turner'.

2. Them - 'The Story of Them featuring Van Morrison'. Has every A and B side and both albums.

3. The Zombies - 'Singles: 1964-69' on Ace.

4. Tyrannosaurus Rex - 'Definitive'. Includes all five 45s (the only comp that does) but, alas, not the mid-60s mod 45s.

5. David Bowie - 'Early On: 1964-66'. The reverse of Marc Bolan! Includes the six mid-60s mod 45s but, alas, not the psych/late 60s 45s!

6. The Beatles - 'Past Masters Volume 1'. My favourite era of the group, so my favourite compilation, but again I would prefer a British As and Bs set.....

like this one.....7. Dusty Springfield - 'Complete As and Bs: 1963-70'.

8. Little Richard - 'British As and Bs' on Ace.

9. The Everly Brothers - 'British As and Bs' on Ace.

10. Nick Drake - 'Way To Blue - An Introduction'.

Whisper it, but a comp that pulled together all of Bowie's 60s 45s up to the Arnold Corns single in 1971 would be the only Bowie CD I would ever really need. As yet, however, it doesn't exist. 

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:46:26 PM »

Here is a deeper Buffalo Springfield compilation.  It was released as a 2 record set, but never got an official CD release.  I have the pirated Dr. Ebbetts needledrop CD.   It has the 9 minute version of Bluebird.

What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 08:48:08 PM »

My faves tend to come from the also-rans of the era (The Creation, The Birds, The Action.....and I'm going to get The Artwoods, The Seeds and The Bo Street Runners' comps soon) because they tend to be 'complete'.

Of the big names.....

1. The Rolling Stones - 'The London Years' which includes the sublime 'Child Of The Moon', about the only compilation that does, and (the no.1 if it had been credited to The Stones) 'Memo From Turner'.

2. Them - 'The Story of Them featuring Van Morrison'. Has every A and B side and both albums.

3. The Zombies - 'Singles: 1964-69' on Ace.

4. Tyrannosaurus Rex - 'Definitive'. Includes all five 45s (the only comp that does) but, alas, not the mid-60s mod 45s.

5. David Bowie - 'Early On: 1964-66'. The reverse of Marc Bolan! Includes the six mid-60s mod 45s but, alas, not the psych/late 60s 45s!

6. The Beatles - 'Past Masters Volume 1'. My favourite era of the group, so my favourite compilation, but again I would prefer a British As and Bs set.....

like this one.....7. Dusty Springfield - 'Complete As and Bs: 1963-70'.

8. Little Richard - 'British As and Bs' on Ace.

9. The Everly Brothers - 'British As and Bs' on Ace.

10. Nick Drake - 'Way To Blue - An Introduction'.

Whisper it, but a comp that pulled together all of Bowie's 60s 45s up to the Arnold Corns single in 1971 would be the only Bowie CD I would ever really need. As yet, however, it doesn't exist.

You beat me to it regarding The London Years and Dusty's Complete As and Bs.  I love them both.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 08:52:07 PM »

Every Motown number 1 single from through 2000.  10 CDs in a box that replicates Berry Gordy's house in Detroit that became the Motown recording studio.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 01:26:19 AM »

Too many to list actually, but I'll give you a small representative sample of my musical tastes. I also chose not to replicate any that have already been listed. They are in no particular order other than #1.

1. The Beatles 1962-1966 - My very first Beatles album!!!! Though I had some of their singles, it was this LP that served as the springboard to my ascent into Beatlemania.

2. The Beatles 1967-1970

3. The Buddy Holly Collection

4. The Bobby Darin Story

5. The Essential Jimi Hendrix Volumes 1 & 2

6. Legend - Bob Marley

7. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Gold and Platinum

8. The Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits 1974-1978

9. The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks 1964-1971

10. The Byrds - 20 Essential Tracks from the Boxed Set 1965-1990

11. The Beach Boys - Endless Summer

12. Deep Purple - When We Rock, We Rock and When We Roll, We Roll

Sorry, I attempted to add nice photos of all the LPs but I think the page has reached its limit - it would only allow two.  :(
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:15:59 AM by Fab4Fan »
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 59 queries.