Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Microscope: Back To The Egg  (Read 23153 times)

nimrod

Re: Microscope: Back To The Egg
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2012, 02:18:21 AM »

*To level the playing field, Double Fantasy did exactly the same for my Lennon buying habit. At least I guess Paul tried to stay current.

at least John didnt get so goddam twee
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2012, 07:34:07 AM »

Instead, he let a woman who could not sing fill half of his album.

nimrod

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »

Instead, he let a woman who could not sing fill half of his album.

can sing cant sing, thats subjective Cor, I like this, its better than Kylie :D

Yoko Ono: "I'm Moving On" (1980)

Bobber

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »

its better than Kylie :D

But I like Kylie's video's better to be honest.

nimrod

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 12:34:58 PM »

Kylie's better looking I have to agree :D

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »

Wouldn't call  John's contributions to Double Fantasy exactly gritty. That he should spend a decade publicly mocking McCartney for making Beatle-lite muzak, then do exactly that himself when he needs to make a bid for chart action is one of the reasons I find the man so...........so........contrary.
But Im not after another John v Paul thing - more want to make the point that by the late 70's both were loosing revelance. New people were making waves. Their day as was done.
Like all their contempories their music veered from mostly okay, to ocassionally dissapointing, peppered with the unexpected "not that bad for an old bloke."
Not a big fan of Beatles as soloists post 75 (suprise suprise).
But not to trash those of you who do.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »

I agree with you here Ollie. After reading Kevin and your posts, I was thinking about how Paul tries to stay hip and fit

I’m not sure that it he wants to stay hip (well, actually, who doesn’t, so he probably does) but it’s that the man can’t seem to  hear a musical style or genre without thinking “I can do that.”  So whether it’s twenties vaudeville, hard rock, reggae, white soul, musicals, children’s sing alongs, classical, he has a go. And the bugger thing is he mostly  but not always (as BttE shows) does it pretty well. Better than most.
And I think that’s the cross McCartney fans have to bare. You have to accept he’s going to listen to some children’s programme, go to the piano  and knock out The Frog Chorus. It’s what the man does. It can be annoying if you want him to be always  the rock god that did Helter Skelter, but to like McCartney is to accept that the guy is a musical magpie. Always was.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »

I’m not sure that it he wants to stay hip (well, actually, who doesn’t, so he probably does) but it’s that the man can’t seem to  hear a musical style or genre without thinking “I can do that.”  So whether it’s twenties vaudeville, hard rock, reggae, white soul, musicals, children’s sing alongs, classical, he has a go. And the bugger thing is he mostly  but not always (as BttE shows) does it pretty well. Better than most.
And I think that’s the cross McCartney fans have to bare. You have to accept he’s going to listen to some children’s programme, go to the piano  and knock out The Frog Chorus. It’s what the man does. It can be annoying if you want him to be always  the rock god that did Helter Skelter, but to like McCartney is to accept that the guy is a musical magpie. Always was.

This is a great post and there's a lot of truth in here. Paul is a composer and he tries his hand at everything. As a fan, should I hold that over his head when he fails at some of his attempts? No, but I do sometimes. Like McCartney 2, Paul had a go with some music that was the style of the period. I hate it, but that doesnt mean that it was bad for what it was. His 80's output gets to me, but I have to realize that i'm not a fan of that period to begin with. I thought he rocked pretty hard on BTTE and his voice never sounded better, so its petty of me to wish or hope that he would have continued to pump out similiar albums afterwards. Hard to grow when you do that. I think we need to look at the big picture sometimes and quit being so critical of what Paul does. His accomplishments are pretty impressive, but not everything is a homerun all the time.

nimrod

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2012, 10:55:12 PM »

Not a big fan of Beatles as soloists post 75 (suprise suprise).

on a scale of 1 - 10, Im a 10 Beatles fan and a 3 solo Beatles fan :D

For me Paul has never again reached the heights of Revolver (except with Hey Jude/Let It be singles) and John has never reached the heights of his pepper period, they both suck as solo artists imo, with the odd good song, George made ATMP which was mostly very good but then sank to ordinarydom with his later offerings, I dont have any Ringo albums so cant comment on him.
Paul just couldnt decide on a direction he seemed free to indulge & release 'whatever' and John lost the plot (and the muse) with drugs imo, your right, both came up with the odd good song (Imagine/Im Losing You), (Maybe Im Amazed/Band On The Run) but mostly it was average stuff .......sadly.
Sorry guys, its just my opinion. :(

nimrod

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »

After further thought (not quite finished guys :D) I think the first albums (after the split) the 3 of them made were the best.

Of course please realise that it is only my opinion so dont beat me up :D

No-one is right in all this debate, its all subjective, Im just on about what appeals to me..(the most)

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2012, 01:16:09 AM »

The key to their relevance was being in The Beatles and the chances of them getting back together. I think I said before that you could've seen them sticking it out until '71 perhaps? They'd have had to have slogged out an album that was probably twice the size of the white one though and nobody wanted to do that. Unfortunate as that would have been one hell of an album.

I think they'd have made waves again if there would've been a chance of they getting it together as middle aged mulleted 80's Beatles. Probably not for long though.

I'd have really liked to have heard that, I think they'd have made a great clattery 80's album.

Haha.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.6 seconds with 58 queries.