Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Where Were You?  (Read 82474 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Where Were You?
« on: March 01, 2004, 01:32:55 PM »

People often say they remember exactly where they were when they heard that Kennedy or Elvis had died. Can you remember where you were and what you were doing when you first heard the news about John's Death?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

John@work

• Getting Better
Re: Where Were You?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 04:15:08 PM »

I was at home and heard it on the radio.  My family and I then saw footage on T.V.  I remember nearly all of the local radio stations played John Lennon Songs for days.  A lot of the Double Fantasy album was played (since it was just released).  I remember all those who gathered at the Decota to pay tribute.  Such a sad day.
A working class hero is something to be...

John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »

I have no idea where I was. I was two years old at the time.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 12:39:48 AM »

I can't answer that because I wasn't even born yet! :P

---powered by Moondogs®---

Beatle Ed

• Getting Better
  • //0-0\\//- -\\
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 01:23:43 AM »

I was in my mom's stomach, and was so distraught I was born 3 days later.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 01:46:55 AM »

[quote by=Beatle_Ed link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1078147975,s=4 date=1078190623]I was in my mom's stomach, and was so distraught I was born 3 days later.[/quote]

Wow - short pregnancy!

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 01:36:35 PM »

I had been really, really ill with measles, and had been off school for about 2 weeks. This was to be my first day back.

I heard my Mum turn on the radio and was lying in bed thinking how great it was that so much John Lennon music was being played, when an announcer came on and said that John Lennon had been murdered in New York. I just layed there in complete shock.

Then the phone didn't stop ringing - apparently all my family were asking how I was, not because becuase I'd been ill, but because of the news about John. Everyone knew how much I loved The Beatles - especially John.

Then my Mum and Dad came into my room where I was still in bed - my Mum was in tears and my Dad's face was drained of all colour - I was so upset.

I still went to school that day though and I'd like to say all the other kids were sympathetic... but they weren't - you know how kids can be sometimes.

When I got home that evening I taped every single news and radio broadcast with my little cassette recorder using a microphone pointed at the TV. They showed the Help! film that night - it was pointless really, in fact it just made me feel worse.

Because John was killed so late at night (British time), the newspapers didn't carry the story till the 10th December... I bought every single newspaper that morning. And then every magazine. Books I'd been after for ages, suddenly filled the bookshelves - In His Own Write and A Spaniard In The Works.

Ten years later I went to Liverpool for the first time, it was for a tribute concert celebrating John's 50th birthday. At the end of the show Yoko came on stage and the whole crowd started singing Give Peace A Chance - Yoko just broke down in tears, as did everyone else in the audience. She couldn't even speak and eventually just left the stage with Sean.

I wont ever forget that moment when Yoko was trying to thank us and couldn't say the words - we were united. It really is amazing just how much John Lennon touched us all.

(flower)

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 03:17:10 PM »

I was in my mom's stomach too, so I don't remember. (I was born only in May, '81)
My family remember travelling in the car and hearing the bad news next day, on the 9th of December. After this, my sister kept asking everyone "Have you heard the bad news, John Lennon died!!" , when she was only 6 and didn't even know who John was.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 04:44:26 PM »

Hats off to "The End". Touching story.

I was in my parents living room watching football with my mom and dad when the news broke. My mother and father didnt care about the beatles personally, but they knew they meant the world to me. When the event was announced my mother just kind of gasped. My dad looked at me as I got up and proceeded to my bedroom. I'm not sure what I did afterwards, but my mother came in a little later and asked me if I wanted to talk about it. I must have been angry because she told me that i looked at her and said, "I hope the guy who did this dies!" I was only 10.

My cousin who is the same age as me apparently went to school and found out about it (I didnt go) and he was so worked up over the news that my aunt had to go pick him up. Again, he was also 10. Yes it had an impact on everybody.

Wayne L.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 03:11:58 PM »

I was just getting up early in the morning on December 9th eating breakfast & getting ready to go to school when I heard the news about the tragic death of John Lennon which was a shock to me like a hit to the stomach like it was for most Beatles fans.  I just listened to John's music on the radio most of the day after I got back home from school even though I think it's ridiculous the way some fans are trying to turn him into a holier than thou figure after his death instead of the rock legend that he is & always will be.

Crazy Diamond

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2004, 10:15:19 AM »

Nowhere. :D

NothingIsReal

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 03:12:10 AM »

I was negative 7 years and some-odd months old

bizmopeen

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 04:59:35 PM »

I had just gotten into the Beatles not too long before, and I was eating breakfast the morning after when I heard.  They played "Imagine" on WLS radio in Chicago, and I remember thinking "Cool! You don't hear this on the radio everyday..."   A few minutes later, the DJ came on and announced the sad news.  I remember being in shock, my mom and I had one of those movie moments where we literally both froze and looked at each other...for some reason, I remember she was pouring milk into my brother's cereal (good thing she snapped out of it before the bowl overflowed...)  It was doubly sad, as she introduced me to the Beatles at an early age, playing "Abbey Road" and "Let it Be" for me when they first came out; I was but a toddler at the time.  It was sad for both of us to lose him, but I'm glad we were together for it...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 01:20:49 AM »

Wow, touching stories. The one about Yoko made me tear up! I remember it so well. I was getting ready for school when my cousin came over bursting to tell me the news. She knew I was a Beatle nut. At first I didn't believe her! I'm like, yeah right, it was SO unbelievable!! My best friend was so upset she didn't get to tell me first. Funny how concerned they were. I can't remember much after that other than being at school and seeing my music teacher crying. The rest of the week was so sad. I remember watching people on tv all over the world during the 10 minutes of silence. What an amazing person he was to have touched so many people.

Harlena McStarkney

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2004, 03:02:23 AM »

I was negative 7 years, 3 months, and 10 days old.  I remember it well...lol

I asked my mom what she remembers about it...she was never really a "hardcore" fan, even though she DID like the Beatles a lot.  She said she doesn't really remember what she was doing at the time, only that she felt a little bad after hearing the news.  But then again, my mom has never really been a hardcore fan of anybody.  She just doesn't get all googly-eyed about celebrities the way I do. (grin)
Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

ringorama

• A Beginning
  • Control yourself, you'll spurt
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2004, 05:47:38 AM »

I was negative 6 years, 11 months, and 1 day so I can't really tell you, I wasn't even a figment in my mom's imagination at that time.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 12:07:37 AM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1078147975,s=13 date=1086916849]Wow, touching stories. The one about Yoko made me tear up! [/quote]

The funny thing was, as we were leaving the concert and crossing over the road, Yoko's limo came tearing round the corner and nearly run us over!

It's weird, your story of that horrible morning is so similar to what I experienced - the world truly united on that day.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2004, 03:08:47 AM »

I must have collected every newspaper that week. He was on the cover everywhere. I would still have them if my mother didn't throw them out!!! She just didn't get it.  I can't believe it's going to be 25 years this December. Does that mean Sean is 30?? Wow!

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2004, 03:38:04 AM »

I was sleeping.  My wife watched TV and saw the news, she didn't want to wake me up.  The phone rang, it was my best bud, and he told me.  I was still half asleep and it just didn't sink in...I even made some lame jokes.

People started calling me to offer sympathy as if it was a family member.  That's how well known it was that I was Mr Beatle fan.

What can one say?  It was amazing to see the world come together in grief.  For many of my generation, the first-gen's, it was the slamming of the sarcophagus lid on our own mortality.

We were young when the Beatles were young and their whole thrust was YOUTH.  Much of the 60's was the same thing, so when the event occured not only was it abundantly clear that there would never be a reunion, it also took our YOUTH away once and for all, and pushed us forward into the rest of our lives.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004, 10:30:48 AM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=lennon,m=1078147975,s=17 date=1087873727]I must have collected every newspaper that week. He was on the cover everywhere. I would still have them if my mother didn't throw them out!!! She just didn't get it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 86 queries.