Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tommy Moore  (Read 32677 times)

Bobber

Re: Tommy Moore
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 07:20:40 AM »

They were drummerless? Tommy Moore had quit the week before and performed a final time on the 13rd at the Jacaranda Coffee Bar. I'm not sure about the dates of Norman Chapmans performances.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 09:26:22 AM »

They were drummerless? Tommy Moore had quit the week before and performed a final time on the 13rd at the Jacaranda Coffee Bar. I'm not sure about the dates of Norman Chapmans performances.

Yes: maybe they were drummerless and Paul played drums. Sources (=Bill Harry, Lewisohn...) differ regarding Tommy Moore and Norman Chapman performances.

Nor is clear when did they REALLY backed Janice the Stripper. Until 16 August, when they depart to Hamburg, the timeline is shadowed. And we are in the 50th. anniversary of those historical days!! :(

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:37 AM »

This is a quote from George Harrison in the Anthology Book.

We had a stream of drummers coming through. After about three of these guys, we ended up with almost a full kit of drums from the bits that they'd left behind, so Paul decided he'd be the drummer. He was quite good at it. At least he seemed OK; probably we were all pretty crap at that point. It only lasted for one gig, but I remember it very well. It was in Upper Parliament Street where a guy called Lord Woodbine owned a strip club. It was in the afternoon, with a few perverts - five or so men in overcoats - and a local stripper. We were brought on as the band to accompany the stripper; Paul on drums, John and me on guitar and Stu on bass.

He says it was AFTER Tommy Moore and Norman Chapman had left. So I'd say somewhere from half July.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 10:26:12 AM »

i remember woody..... ha2ha

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 11:16:16 AM »

This is a quote from George Harrison in the Anthology Book...
...He says it was AFTER Tommy Moore and Norman Chapman had left. So I'd say somewhere from half July.

Yes... Thank you!! ;)

And..., what about Jacaranda?? Thay only played once at those times (=13 June 1960??)..., correct??

Xosé
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:18:20 AM by Xose »

Bobber

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 11:23:57 AM »

May 30. Possible more, because of this:

Williams asked them to play on Monday nights when the normal house band, The Royal Caribbean Steel Band, had a night off. The Silver Beetles were paid with beans on toast and Coca-Cola.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

May 30. Possible more, because of this:

Williams asked them to play on Monday nights when the normal house band, The Royal Caribbean Steel Band, had a night off. The Silver Beetles were paid with beans on toast and Coca-Cola.

YESSS...  ;D Good!! ;)

People envolved at those gigs are not longer alive (=John, George, Stu, Tommy Moore, Norman Chapman, Lord Woodbine...). Only Sir Paul, Allan Williams (=both very difficult to reach at..., at least for me...) and... Janice the stripper?? Has she surfaced along the years?? Do we know anything about her?? ???

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 11:55:45 AM »

Several sources put the performances with Janice the Stripper BEFORE their gigs with Norman Chapman. According to Allan Williams, they backed Janice for a week in early July with Paul on drums. No need for a new guitar I suppose.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:00:07 PM by Bobber »

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 12:02:44 PM »

Several sources put the performances with Janice the Stripper BEFORE their gigs with Norman Chapman. According to Allan Williams, they backed Janice for a week in early July with Paul on drums. No need for a new guitar I suppose...

Correct...

And Paul said that they wore lilac jackets doubtlessly the same ones they wore at the Indra but NOT at Johnny Gentle tour. Surviving photos demonstrates that at Johnny Gentle tour they used the same wear that at Wyvern Club audition...

Xosé
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:08:22 PM by Xose »

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 11:04:49 PM »

Same happens with the stripper they backed at New Cabaret Artists. Allan Williams - William Marshall, The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away, London, Elm Tree, 1975, reads:

p. 87: "...I kept driving away at the fact they had no drummer and there were no other engagements lined up for the next couple of weeks..."

p.  91: "...Paul took over on drums..."

p. 96: "...After the Beatles finished their week backing Shirley* I looked for more work for them. They got a few gigs but the story was always the same: 'When do we get another drummer, Allan?'..."

So, in the beginning they have no gigs for a couple of weeks. When, at this point, did they have no gigs "...for a couple of weeks..."??

Paul took over on drums** but they WANT a drummer. Why?? Because Paul wanted to play guitar?? Or because he had got A new guitar??

Finally they got a few gigs. Which ones??

Too many shadows after finishing Johnny Gentle tour (=28 May) and before departing for Hamburg (=16 August)***...

Xosé

* Allan Williams names this girl Shirley. Why some sources name her Janice??

** According to George Harrison in Anthology book "...We had a stream of drummers coming through. After about three of these guys, we ended up with almost a full kit of drums from the bits that they'd left behind, so Paul decided he'd be the drummer. He was quite good at it. At least he seemed OK; probably we were all pretty crap at that point. It only lasted for one gig, but I remember it very well. It was in Upper Parliament Street where a guy called Lord Woodbine owned a strip club. It was in the afternoon, with a few perverts - five or so men in overcoats - and a local stripper. We were brought on as the band to accompany the stripper; Paul on drums, John and me on guitar and Stu on bass...."

*** Stu's visa is dated 13 August, and one of Paul's payment coupons for the Solid 7 is also dated 13 August...

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2010, 07:20:32 AM »

Allan Williams - William Marshall, op. cit., pp. 134-135:

"...Norman played with the Beatles for about three months, appearing with them several times in the basement of the Jac...
...Poor old Norman was another guy who missed latching on to a million quid by a quirk of fate. His stint with the Beatles enden when he was called up to do his compulsory two years National Service with the First Battalion, King's Regiment...
...'Yeah,' he said, referring to the Beatles, 'those guys really loved the game...Everything they did and said was directed at making their sound better and better day by day. I remember Paul as the dominant figure, not John, oddly enough -although everyone nominates John as the leader.
Maybe it was my interpretation of it. One night when we were playing at the Grosvenor Ballroom over in Wallasey a fight broke out...What a scene. We kept playing the music all the way through. John was hiding behind the curtain and laughing his head off and Paul was somehow crouched under the piano. The music never stoped. What a night'..."

So, Paul was the dominant figure, Norman Chapman really played with them at Grosvenor Ballroom and he played with them for..., three months??  ???

This is like researching the history of Jesus into the New Testament: one has to sparate the historical facts from the faithful ones...

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2010, 07:50:56 AM »

The Allan Williams book is not really known for its reliability. Paul McCartney said to Williams: "Congratulations on the book Allan. Some things in it are actually true." So, I would not rely too much on Williams' version.

Bear in mind that I really do appreciate your research and sharing it here with us. These pre-fame years are of course much harder to research than the years from 1963 onwards.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2010, 07:59:57 AM »

...Bear in mind that I really do appreciate your research and sharing it here with us. These pre-fame years are of course much harder to research than the years from 1963 onwards.

Thank you very much Bobber!! ;)

I'm always trying to do my best...

BTW: the Spanish version of my article about Paul McCartney's Solid 7 guitar is already published at the Spanish magazine Beatles Garden. I will upload it here as soon as I get it. The English (=and much longer) version is on press at the Dutch magazine Beatles Unlimited...

Xosé
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:02:44 AM by Xose »

Bobber

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2010, 08:07:57 AM »

BU? In print?

larainefan

• A Beginning
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2010, 01:17:42 PM »

YESSS...  ;D Good!! ;)

People envolved at those gigs are not longer alive (=John, George, Stu, Tommy Moore, Norman Chapman, Lord Woodbine...). Only Sir Paul, Allan Williams (=both very difficult to reach at..., at least for me...) and... Janice the stripper?? Has she surfaced along the years?? Do we know anything about her?? ???

Xosé

I love how taken Janice/Shirley was with George!  From Allan Williams' book (excerpted)

"Who is that nice boy with the boney face?" she said on the first night.

"That," I said, "is George.  George Harrison.  He's a nice boy and he is much too young for you, Shirley.  Don't go leading him astray."

"They're never too young," she said, eyeing George, who was trying to hide behind his orange juice. 

It would be interesting to know whether she was still alive.  I wonder if anyone ever interviewed her?

This is my first time trying to quote (Xose's remarks).  Hoping I did it correctly.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 01:35:56 PM »

...It would be interesting to know whether she was still alive.  I wonder if anyone ever interviewed her?

This is my first time trying to quote (Xose's remarks).  Hoping I did it correctly.

You did it very well... ;)

I also would LOVE to know if he is still alive. I haven't evar seen any clues concerning that. I wonder if Bill Harry (=or Allan Williams himself!!) read these posts....

Xosé

KelMar

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:18 PM »

Tommy Moore, an early drummer for The Beatles, in a street near the River Mersey holding drumsticks on March 3, 1970. (Photo by Daily Express/Archive Photos/Getty Images)

avaxnews.net

Bobber

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2014, 10:11:51 AM »

Stole this from Alan's forum. LOL!
Is there a Spanish speaking member who is able to translate this? It is Spanish, right?

Bobber

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2014, 07:43:28 AM »

Raxo? Hombre? Xose? Do you want to help me out on this?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2014, 08:35:31 AM »

I think that article is in Portuguese, Cor.
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.694 seconds with 73 queries.