Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: The Present  (Read 29105 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: The Present
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2009, 02:37:29 AM »

Quote from: 185

If I want to hate someone it's agnostics. To say "I believe in something but I don't know what" is a ridiculous statement for anyone to make.

"

Not everybody is capable of absolutes. People are complicated. A person can feel a higher power or presence, but may not be able to come to terms with the whole religion God thing. It's spirituality. It's not as simple as that statement. Not that I'm disagreeing with you or anything Kevin cuz you know I'd never do that!  8)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2009, 09:47:06 AM »

I`ve never mentioned that JT should be banned!

Just to reiterate, and push the point home before all the mods are sent to Hell, JT was NOT banned for his beliefs. He was banned for spamming. Thank you, good night.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2009, 12:21:12 PM »

Hello Jane. I don't think disagreeing with you is the same as attacking you. Can't see what our sexes have to do with it either.
And I was responding to this statement of yours : "Well, Jethro Tull is trying to make the Beatles sound religious. And that maybe only the first step to something else, which is no good." And now "The Beatles had never been that religious and, to my mind, ascribing to their words and lyrics any religious connotations is wrong."
I agree that what JT is complete tosh. But my point was we all (you and me included) make connotations about the Beatles, and you and I defend the right to do that. I think you make preposterous assumptions about Lennon, as I think you would say the same about me. So we debate. I tell you why I think you're wrong. You may do the same to me.As we should with JT, or ignore him, which I will now, because what he says is silly.
Sorry if I've offended you, but I make no apologies for what I've said.
don't follow leaders

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »

"What about my joke then? What about my joke?"

It's the best (only) one I have!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2009, 03:09:21 PM »

*shakes head and sighs*
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2009, 03:27:41 PM »

I agree that what JT is complete tosh...
...So we debate. I tell you why I think you're wrong.  You may do the same to me.  As we should with JT, or ignore him, which I will now, because what he says is silly.

You affirm that what I say and what "The Present" says is 'complete tosh and silly,' but you don't say why.  I'd much rather you debate with me and tell me why I'm wrong so that I can hear out your opinions and learn from you.  If you're going to say things like that, then please back them up.  Disregarding everything I say as 'complete tosh and silliness' only to ignore me is like a hit and run.  

None of the quotes I posted make any sense to you?

...and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Embrace Oneness

Swine

• A Beginning
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2009, 03:39:31 PM »

Quote from: 568

Ah, but aren't we responsible for choosing our words and acting in ways that are mindful of others feelings? As was noted earlier, your idea certainly is debatable, but why not put it forth in less inflammatory terms, if that is an option?

Respectfully signed,

Father Mackenzie

are you a priest? lol. bold statements are always oneliners. i think the observation or statement isnt inflammatory at all. your and others interpretations make it inflammatory. its not because im the swine that you jump on my back, is it? to me jethro tulls statements and interpretations are inflammatory as well. he doesnt regard my values, does he? my greatgrandfathers were killed by missionairies, long long ago you see.
[size=18]LIFE IS GETTING WORSE[/size]

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2009, 04:56:53 PM »

Quote from: 1915

None of the quotes I posted make any sense to you?

Sorry, but no. I find statements like "The song,
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »

This topic sucks and is now about Looney Tunes.

HELLO MY BABY

HELLO MY HONEY

HELLO MY RAGTIME GAAAAAL
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2009, 06:22:05 PM »

I just have to say one last thing to Jane:
my comment about banning you for only seeing the good in Lennon was supposed to be a jokey compliment, like my mention of Bobber's absurd boyish good looks.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »

I just have to say one last thing to Jane:
my comment about banning you for only seeing the good in Lennon was supposed to be a jokey compliment, like my mention of Bobber's absurd boyish good looks.

Oh! So I'm let off the hook! Blimey, that was close.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »

Hello Jane. I don't think disagreeing with you is the same as attacking you. Can't see what our sexes have to do with it either.
And I was responding to this statement of yours : "Well, Jethro Tull is trying to make the Beatles sound religious. And that maybe only the first step to something else, which is no good." And now "The Beatles had never been that religious and, to my mind, ascribing to their words and lyrics any religious connotations is wrong."
I agree that what JT is complete tosh. But my point was we all (you and me included) make connotations about the Beatles, and you and I defend the right to do that. I think you make preposterous assumptions about Lennon, as I think you would say the same about me. So we debate. I tell you why I think you're wrong. You may do the same to me.As we should with JT, or ignore him, which I will now, because what he says is silly.
Sorry if I've offended you, but I make no apologies for what I've said.

Hello, Kevin. Thank you for your kind words! I appreciate it very much.
(though I fear BM will say "the trouble is you don`t get it..." still, I hope I got it right...)

Swine

• A Beginning
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »

kind words? if i would say this to the missus, she would hit me in the face. you are a remarkable woman miss jane.
[size=18]LIFE IS GETTING WORSE[/size]

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »

Quote from: 63

Oh! So I'm let off the hook! Blimey, that was close.

Bobber, are we all Blade Runners?

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »

Quote from: 1789
kind words? if i would say this to the missus, she would hit me in the face. you are a remarkable woman miss jane.

I am confused. What have I missed? And I have to look up the word "remarkable", surely it has some connotations I am ignorant of.  :(

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2009, 10:14:03 PM »

And speaking about connotations. The last thing I would like to say to JT. In fact one can attach any meaning to practically anything. As well as to the Beatles songs. One can interprete them in many-many different ways. But they can`t all be true, cause they are different. Where does the truth lie? So, better look at it as it is, take it as it is. Do not attach some far-fetched ideas and "connotations" to it.
One example. When the Beatles came to Uston (spelling?) large crowds gathered to greet them and Maharishi Mahesh Yogi immediately realized what big fish he had caught. Before that he didn`t know what niche the Beatles had in the world of music. Being a very long-sighted and shrewd religious leader he made a mental note to himself to insert some Beatles` lines and lyrics into his speculation, lectures and talks about reincarnation, karma and the world of illusion. In other words, to interprete them in his own way! You see! Do you think he was close to the truth?

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2009, 06:14:12 PM »

I think you are trying to be overly clever and need to realise we listen to a bunch of pop songs written by a couple of scouse gits for teenage girls.

A bit of a closed-minded statement.
So, all the songs they wrote in India were for teenage girls?  What about their later career?
Your telling me that songs like "Within You Without You" are 'pop songs written by a couple of scouse gits for teenage girls?"
I agree that when they first started as young chaps, they may have been writing some of their early songs for teenage girls.  However, I do think that they were presenting a much bigger message throughout their musical career.  No other band changed as much as The Beatles over the years, from Please Please Me to Abbey Road.  Anyone who has ever been in a band knows that what they did was near impossible.  I think there was something far more special to the Beatles' music besides 'pop music.'

Quote from: 1393
One can interprete them in many-many different ways. But they can`t all be true, cause they are different. Where does the truth lie? So, better look at it as it is, take it as it is. Do not attach some far-fetched ideas and "connotations" to it.

Jane, you are absolutely right in the sense that there have been many different interpretations.  They can't all be right, but I'm sure many of them have been hinting at the same thing.  "The Present" is also an interpretation, but it is one that you can check for yourself.  This interpretation doesn't attach "far-fetched ideas and connotations" to the music.  It just suggests a new way to listen to their music.  I thought the implications were rather obvious instead of far-fetched, and they helped me enjoy the music I had loved for so long in a new, magical way.

In other words, to interprete them in his own way! You see! Do you think he was close to the truth?

Thank you for sharing that.  I'm not sure if he was close to the truth; I have not heard his lectures.  Many have realized how special The Beatles were, whether it be subconsciously or consciously.  What they did was magical; they brought people together and were the forefront of the peace and love movement.

There are undeniably many interpretations of The Beatles message; but from what I have seen, "The Present" has the most sensible, accurate interpretation, with ideas that you can check for yourself.  It made complete sense to me, and I wouldn't be sharing it with you if I thought it was false.

Embrace Oneness

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2009, 09:37:25 PM »

I am happy for you, for your peace of mind, JT. However, I have my own interpretation. And I am very happy with it.

Living One

• A Beginning
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2009, 10:36:11 PM »

I am happy for you, for your peace of mind, JT. However, I have my own interpretation. And I am very happy with it.

Thanks Jane.  =)
If you wouldn't mind sharing, I would love to see your interpretation.  I love to learn from other interpretations, and to see how they compare to my own.

Embrace Oneness

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2009, 11:35:06 PM »

JT, I read parts of your piece.  I found it reminiscent of Krishnamurti (which is a compliment).  My only is advice is that you consider having it edited and proofread.  I think it's of particular importance that you lived through the Beatles' "first wave."  I was born too late for that; but it's great to read something by someone who "grew up" with them.  

I agree with Jane, anything can be interpreted any way--particularly in regard to spirit, that subtile essence, since (for me at least) all is ultimately spirit.  I would prefer the word "Presence" to "Present," but that's my bias or viewpoint or whatever.  

I think that most of us come to these boards to seek meaning in one way or another (from arcane info about the Beatles to friendship).  

I'll close with the oft-quote lines from Blake:

"To see the world in a grain of sand,
and to see heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hands,
and eternity in an hour"

Sometimes the grain of sand can be the lines from "I'll Get You," sometimes it can be the guitar Paul used on "Taxman."  Just depends how far you look.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 86 queries.