Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44

Author Topic: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?  (Read 184259 times)

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
Re: How Did YOU Discover The Beatles?
« Reply #760 on: April 21, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »

I was 8 years old in 1964 and my parents let me watch the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show. I don't think I really knew what I was seeing and hearing but I know that I liked it.   :D
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #761 on: April 21, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »

Yes.  You were certainly old enough to know.

Welcome to the Forum, ibanez_ax!
I can stay till it's time to go

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #762 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:47 PM »

Yes.  You were certainly old enough to know.

Welcome to the Forum, ibanez_ax!

Thanks! Nice to be here.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

LinuXo

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #763 on: May 01, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »

My Dad had the Beatles Box http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_Box from Reader's Digest (Mexico Edition) and for long time I didn't care for it, my dad played the records but I didn't like the music, until one day, don't remember what age I was, maybe 10 years-old I began to listen to them and I really like them! Then I saw the movies "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help" on the Disney Channel and since then I still listen to them.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #764 on: May 03, 2012, 11:29:53 PM »

It's so cute when people discover the Beatles at a young age.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #765 on: June 07, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »

It was in September/October 2009 I think when I first saw the movie 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' and loved the 'Twist and Shout' scene. I didn't like the song very much, but it was all about the way it was presented, with the whole city dancing and singing along. I knew my father loved The Beatles, so I asked for some recommendations. He said his favourites were 'I'll Follow The Sun', 'Here Comes The Sun', 'Ticket To Ride', 'Girl' and 'Michelle'. He also suggested that I should check a greatest hits CD he owned. Basically, that's how it all started. Few songs here and there, then full albums, then full discography and well, here I am.  :)
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

KelMar

« Reply #766 on: June 09, 2012, 04:53:55 AM »

It was in September/October 2009 I think when I first saw the movie 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off' and loved the 'Twist and Shout' scene.

I think a lot of newer fans came to be because of that movie. I hadn't seen it when it was in theaters but my brother brought it for us to watch when it came out on video. He knew I'd like that part! The whole movie is great.

BBally

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #767 on: June 10, 2012, 10:46:54 AM »

There was a program that used to air on Egyptian television called Nadi El Cinema (The Cinema/Film Club), where the host and a special guest (critic, film analyst...etc) would show a feature length film and when the film ends, will go into discussion about it. One day the program showed the Yellow Submarine and being a kid back then if it was animated I would watch it, I remember struck not just by the animation but by the music as well. My parents told me about the Beatles and since that day I became Beatles fan.

glenesis

• One And One Is Two
    • Glenn Moses - Homepage
« Reply #768 on: July 04, 2012, 05:38:57 AM »

wowie. Im sure I had heard The Beatles before I ever knew who they were. My earliest memoris of actually knowing that a Beatles song was a Beatles song was not actually performed by the Beatles. It was 1969, and I was four years old. I remember the Muppets performing Yellow Submarine in the first season of Sesame Street. There was a big cardboard cutout of the Yellow Submarine, with a different muppet singing from each window hole in the sub. It was fantastic! If memory serves, as it sometimes still does, my Mom walked into the room, and told me about the Beatles and their original rendition of the song. The next thing that Ji rrmember about the Beatles is the Saturday Morning cartoon. I remember them running around in a Jeep, and I remember Yoko doing Karate :-)
Only Sound Can Break Silence
www.GlennMoses.com

RubberSol

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #769 on: July 07, 2012, 04:56:07 AM »

Never really knew much about them. (Yellow Submarine was an exception, and I made fun of it with my friends too :"we all live in a yellow stream of pee" was our favorite Weird Al-ism)
I started taking guitar lessons in middle school about 4 years ago, and my teacher pointed up to a poster at the wall and said, "Do you know who they are?" 
I looked up and said 'the Beatles,' because the logo was there. He asked me if I knew their names and I said 'Ringo... Paul Lennon.'
That day I learned the basic chords for 'Here There and Everywhere' and the Beatles have been my favorite band ever since.
"Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?"
John Lennon

Pete

• One And One Is Two
    • Kite
« Reply #770 on: August 02, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »

It's really interesting to see how many people got started on the Beatles through loving Yellow Submarine as a child. Me too...

My parents – who didn't own a Beatles album between them, despite being the right age to have been into them – eventually bought a compilation cassette called "20 Greatest hits" when it came out in 1982. I was nine years old and my mother showed me how to work the music centre (remember those?!) so that I could listen to Yellow Submarine which was my favourite song back then. I ended up listening to that tape back-to-back all the time and I knew every word to every song. As I grew older I ended up borrowing all the LPs – in order – from the local library and the Beatles music became the soundtrack to my formative years. Despite the fact hat my music collection is now huge, it's still the Beatles that I come back to, time after time.

Bobber

« Reply #771 on: August 06, 2012, 06:34:07 PM »

It's really interesting to see how many people got started on the Beatles through loving Yellow Submarine as a child. Me too...

I wholeheartedly (sp?) agree. It's a pleasure to browse through these pages every now and then. Btw welcome aboard Pete.

rrosai

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #772 on: August 07, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »

In 2006 I was biking cross-country and I had prepared a Rolling Stone 500 greatest songs playlist to listen to along the way to discover music my limited tastes had kept me from trying out.

At the time I probably couldn't have told the Beatles and Monkees apart reliably, but after hearing several songs in the list I knew I had missed out on something from "before my mother was born".

I also first heard Radiohead on that playlist even though my primitive player didn't show file names and I had to wait until I arrived home a week later to google search the lyrics and find out what band it was.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #773 on: August 08, 2012, 02:31:12 AM »

In 2006 I was biking cross-country and I had prepared a Rolling Stone 500 greatest songs playlist to listen to along the way to discover music my limited tastes had kept me from trying out.

At the time I probably couldn't have told the Beatles and Monkees apart reliably, but after hearing several songs in the list I knew I had missed out on something from "before my mother was born".

I also first heard Radiohead on that playlist even though my primitive player didn't show file names and I had to wait until I arrived home a week later to google search the lyrics and find out what band it was.

Which Beatles songs snuck into your Rolling Stones playlist, rrosai?

Pete

• One And One Is Two
    • Kite
« Reply #774 on: August 11, 2012, 04:39:05 PM »

I wholeheartedly (sp?) agree. It's a pleasure to browse through these pages every now and then. Btw welcome aboard Pete.

Thanks Bobber. The irony is that I can't stand listening to Yellow Submarine these days!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #775 on: August 11, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »

The irony is that I can't stand listening to Yellow Submarine these days!

There's always the Alternate Yellow Submarine...

The Beatles- Yellow Submarine (1995 remix)

;)

Welcome to the Forum, Pete!

Pete

• One And One Is Two
    • Kite
« Reply #776 on: August 21, 2012, 10:54:03 AM »

There's always the Alternate Yellow Submarine...

Thanks HG. I just about made it to the end of that! At least some of the extra sound effects drowned out the song a bit...

To be honest though, it does take me back to my childhood so I can't complain too much.

I hadn't heard that version before.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #777 on: August 22, 2012, 02:01:55 AM »

At least some of the extra sound effects drowned out the song a bit...

That's why I posted it.  I figured you'd like that.    ;D

I like the song.  I remember hearing it on the radio when it was first released in the summer of 1966.  No one knew what to make of it! 

nimrod

« Reply #778 on: August 22, 2012, 11:51:30 PM »

YS is great :)

BeatlesandBud

• One And One Is Two
  • Nowhere Man
« Reply #779 on: August 27, 2012, 11:43:20 PM »

I was definitely a late bloomer. Around 6 months ago I was browsing Youtube and somehow I stumbled upon Elearnor Rigby :o Looking back I dont even remember how I got there but I've been hooked ever since. The only problem with the Beatles is that now I can't listen to ANY other band because it all sounds second class roll:)  O well just means more Beatles!
In my opinion, the Beatles are not only the greatest musical act of all time, but also mankind's crowning artistic achievement.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44

Page created in 0.522 seconds with 83 queries.