Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dr Robert  (Read 2562 times)

Bobber

Dr Robert
« on: March 20, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »

Has anyone ever noticed this: the end of Dr Robert has a fade out, but if you listen carefully, the song actually has a proper ending! So why fade out?

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
Re: Dr Robert
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 05:58:28 PM »

Gentle Jesus, I never noticed that before.
I thought the jangly guitar kept on going, but it abruptly ends on 2:10 - nice find.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 02:31:14 AM »

Note to self,,,,,(must break out Revolver tomorrow).

Sweet find Bobber!

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 03:15:00 AM »

if you would have tripped on listening to it ....its obvious....

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 01:49:12 PM »

Anyway.... Why did they fade it out when there appears to be a proper end?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 12:48:38 AM »

Quote from: Bobber

Anyway.... Why did they fade it out when there appears to be a proper end?

Possibly to be different - they faded in songs when they had proper beginnings as well.

dcowboys107

• A Beginning
  • Surf's Up
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 01:57:47 AM »

Why does "Doctor Robert" get such a bad reputation? To me it is an enjoyable, interesting story and cool word use.  Everybody says it is "arranged poorly" but I don't see any obivious no-no's.  I can remember when I first listened to the album in 2000 ( I was 9 at the time), this was one of my favorite songs besides "I'm only Sleeping, Taxman, For No One).  Any thoughts?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 09:14:49 AM »

Quote from: 662
Why does "Doctor Robert" get such a bad reputation? To me it is an enjoyable, interesting story and cool word use.  Everybody says it is "arranged poorly" but I don't see any obivious no-no's.  I can remember when I first listened to the album in 2000 ( I was 9 at the time), this was one of my favorite songs besides "I'm only Sleeping, Taxman, For No One).  Any thoughts?

Revolver is full of odd little time signatures (especially Lennon's songs) for a pop/rock band to be playing at the time. Dr. Robert is no exception. It's in my top 3 songs from the album.

Quote from: 63
Has anyone ever noticed this: the end of Dr Robert has a fade out, but if you listen carefully, the song actually has a proper ending! So why fade out?

I guess they decided at the last minute that it sounded better with a fade out. Listening on headphones to a modern CD we can hear it actually has a proper finish. I doubt if you could hear it on a Dansette in 1966.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 10:38:52 AM »

Quote from: 360

Possibly to be different - they faded in songs when they had proper beginnings as well.

I Want to Tell You does this well. ;)

Its always a relief when  a song has a proper ending when playing live, otherwise you have to make one up. Maybe there was just not enough of an outro to fade before the final drop, which is why we get to hear it.
It sounds like a song they would have liked to put to bed after getting through an arrangement...Does anybody know how many takes they did for this one? My 'Revolution In The Head' is not too close. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 11:03:01 AM »

Quote from: 15

Its always a relief when  a song has a proper ending when playing live, otherwise you have to make one up. Maybe there was just not enough of an outro to fade before the final drop, which is why we get to hear it.
It sounds like a song they would have liked to put to bed after getting through an arrangement...Does anybody know how many takes they did for this one? My 'Revolution In The Head' is not too close. lol

Lewisohn says the basic track was recorded in 7 takes, and that they overdubbed vocals onto take 7.

Quote from: 360

What else apart from 8 Days A Week? My brain won't function at the mo.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »

Quote from: 15

Tink I meant G'day Sunshine...although....its just a crescendo drum roll in I think.....still a bit sketchy after Bestival.

What are the Beatle fade in tracks then?

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 06:02:14 PM »

I try, and I try, and I try, but no matter how many times I listen to this song, I can't like it.  I don't like the arrangement, I don't care for "most" of the vocals -- the part where he says, "my my my you're feeling well," then he goes something like, "my my my..something something something that don't make any sense to feeling well."  That part in particular could have had real promise, but it falls flat.  Oh well, it took me awhile to appreciate the whole album of "Revolver," and I do like most of it (still can't stand "Tomorrow Never Knows"), but Dr. Robert will never make it to one of my Beatles comps.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 08:04:17 PM »

I've always noticed the end even when it was on steam-powered turntable.
For me Robert is THE weak track on Revolver.
It just doesn't seem to go anywhere.
The ingredients are there, jangly guitar, nice backing vocals, interesting subject matter, but it never takes off.

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 07:54:23 AM »

I always liked Paul's harmony vocal on Dr. Robert.
"Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive"

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 09:05:42 AM »

Quote from: 828
I try, and I try, and I try, but no matter how many times I listen to this song, I can't like it.  I don't like the arrangement, I don't care for "most" of the vocals -- the part where he says, "my my my you're feeling well," then he goes something like, "my my my..something something something that don't make any sense to feeling well."  That part in particular could have had real promise, but it falls flat.  Oh well, it took me awhile to appreciate the whole album of "Revolver," and I do like most of it (still can't stand "Tomorrow Never Knows"), but Dr. Robert will never make it to one of my Beatles comps.

If you don't know the lyric that you're trying to describe, then you haven't really tried, tried and tried, have you?!! ;)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »

Well, well, well! lol

I agree with Pasta chief about the Macca harmonies. ;)

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 72 queries.