Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Microscope: Plastic Ono Band  (Read 35452 times)

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
Re: Microscope: Plastic Ono Band
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2013, 04:54:01 PM »

For my part in this I apologise for being over the top with rudeness (Todd & Cor) I realise now Ive had a bad week with the recovery for surgery, Ive pushed myself a bit too much in the physio and then gotten frustrated that I cant do certain things yet and its such a long & slow process, I think this has led to a level of impatience and made me a little depressed that its all taking so long, also everyone is at work and Im 'home alone' a lot of the time still unable to drive etc so getting frustrated with that also.............not making excuses or looking for sympathy but sometimes these things affect you in unexpected ways..

I'll take a bit of time off the forum till I feel more myself.

Kevin, we had different types of surgery, but everything you've said is about exactly how I feel and what my experience is. The mental part can be very hard!  Which is also one of the reasons I haven't posted much on these boards.

Hang in there, and I'll do the same!
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »

You both better hang in there and recover quickly. I'm running out of people to argue with.

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »

Yo b****.

Is Back To The Egg better than Plastic Ono Band?

And where did your ancestral monkeys come from?

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2013, 09:38:14 PM »

And the standard of reviewing has gone down for these John one's too. I know I haven't done a real review like I did for a few Paul albums giving the exact second when a cool little bit or sound or change or whatever occurs but that's because I need to listen aloud to the tracks whilst annotating and I simply haven't had the chance to do that yet. I shall come back and fix it or maybe I wont.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »

And the standard of reviewing has gone down for these John one's too. I know I haven't done a real review like I did for a few Paul albums giving the exact second when a cool little bit or sound or change or whatever occurs but that's because I need to listen aloud to the tracks whilst annotating and I simply haven't had the chance to do that yet. I shall come back and fix it or maybe I wont.

wont
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2013, 02:08:49 AM »

Yo b****.

Is Back To The Egg better than Plastic Ono Band?

And where did your ancestral monkeys come from?

Of course it is and Planet Lovetron to answer both of your questions.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2013, 03:44:59 AM »

Plastic Ono Band is usually regarded as a minimally produced masterpiece, and I'm jumping on the overrating wagon as well. Here's my review...

Mother. Believe him or not, I see this as John crying his soul. The words are simple, direct, and yet cleverly used. I can't help but being moved by the ending with John shouting "don't gooo". Thanks God I had a loving father and a loving mother, so the spirit of the song may not touch me as close as others; but when I lost my father last year, I had that "don't gooo" feeling deep inside me. I miss him a lot.

Hold On. Somehow this song never reached me that much, but the message is nice and slightly more optimistic than most of the album.

I Found Out. Funky song with bitter lyrics. It still reflects how John was feeling at the time: you just can be helped by yourself.

Working Class Hero. The ultimate protest song. Those words don't need to be accompanied by more than a rustic acoustic guitar.

Isolation. Kind of a confessional song. It seems a pretty hard work trying to change the world by looking only inside yourself.

Remember. The message here seems to be "remember to forget". Good piano driving, though the melody is quite repetitive.

Love. A sweet ballad with nice and direct sentences. A masterpiece despite of (or because of) its simplicity.

Well Well Well. Back to the raw sound. I like the atmosphere of the song, but it's quite overlong and the lyrics are not that interesting.

Look At Me. Another simple ballad with simple lyrics. I really like it. The comparison to "Julia" is fair, but I don't care about that.

God. This song is the best photograph of John at the time the album was made. The first line "God is a concept by which be measure our pain" is interesting but not easy to be interpreted. To me it makes sense from the fact that love carries pain. Then the famous "I don't believe in my old idols" lines come (though surely Hitler wasn't his idol), because he just believed in himself (and Yoko), as his inner reality grew beyond the outer world. As a Christian, it's neither nice for me listening to John singing "I don't believe in Jesus", but this mention is no more than a proof of how obsessed he was with Christ during his whole life. But Jesus is not an idol, He's actually an inner reality, and when John stopped believing in himself in a hotel room in Tokio he opened the door to Jesus again, or at least he was moved to write this song:

John Lennon - You Saved My Soul

My Mummy's Dead. Sounds like a home demo, and probably the record didn't need this, but it closes the album as a circle. This is certainly a concept album, as it has been said in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:51:09 AM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2018, 08:08:13 AM »

I’m watching a classic album documentary on Plastic Ono Band. At some points  Phil MacDonald, the engineer on the album, plays isolated tracks from some of the songs. He plays the end screams from Mother isolated. John makes such a chilling sound. Sends a shiver down you.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 54 queries.