Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Microscope: Plastic Ono Band  (Read 35445 times)

nimrod

Re: Microscope: Plastic Ono Band
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:56 PM »

Just another word if I maye, this review by the BBC's Garry Mulholland (another one who was duped by actor John ? ) sums up what I feel about the album very well (and much better than I could ever scribble;

Garry Mulholland 2010-08-27
The first John Lennon solo album has had its fair share of acclaim. It was well-reviewed upon its release, and reached the top ten in both the US and UK, despite the absence of a major hit single. In the 40 years since it has routinely turned up in all those critics’ lists of best-ever albums, albeit way, way below the most admired Beatles sets. It’s firmly established as one of those grown-up rock classics that grown-up rock fans should own. But here’s the rub: Plastic Ono Band is still grossly underrated.
One suspects that Plastic Ono Band’s standing might be somewhat more elevated if its maker was still alive. But this 40-minute, 11-song exercise in stark sonic claustrophobia and bitter autobiographical purging doesn’t fit with the sentimentalised posthumous image of Lennon as Utopian dreamer and modern-day Jesus. The biographical context doesn’t help – anyone could be forgiven for imagining that a record inspired by Arthur Janov’s primal scream therapy and Lennon’s twin obsessions with Yoko Ono and his dead mother Julia would be hard work at best, and a bunch of self-indulgent avant-garde ravings at worst.
But the reality of Plastic Ono Band is that it contains eleven of Lennon’s most accessible and gorgeous melodies and riffs; it’s pure Beatles, but with the layers of studio sophistry stripped away to reveal the nub of the confessional crux. The heartbreaking scream of loss that is Mother.

The mirror image of My Mummy’s Dead and its invention of all things lo-fi. And, in-between, the savaging of aspiration in Working Class Hero, the pinched proto-punk fury of I Found Out and Well Well Well, the fear and self-loathing of Remember and Isolation, the poignant grasps for comfort within Love and Hold On, and the slaughter of gods, monsters, The Beatles and the false idols of the 1960s in the peerless God, which is still, very possibly, the most thematically ambitious and courageous rock song ever recorded.

All this, and a sound sculpted by Lennon, Ono and Phil Spector which drops you smack dab in the middle of a room at Abbey Road studios feeling the most famous man of his generation bare his soul and flaunt his demons to a world which didn’t want that much information. Plastic Ono Band’s greatest achievement is that, the more Lennon reveals about himself, the more universal his themes become. It’s this mysterious magic that makes Lennon’s solo debut a definitive work of art about how, and why, the personal and the political are one and the same.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:12:28 PM by nimrod »

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2013, 11:43:47 PM »

I don't know if I could ever write enough about this album.

I don't think I could stand to read a bunch of old blokes bickering between one another either.

If you dislike it you perhaps don't understand it.

There are certain things that are beyond even such as highly advanced an individual as me.

Peace and Love.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2013, 03:23:13 AM »

Here's the end results of a review by Nick Butler at Sputnik Music. He says what I tried to, but couldnt find the words.

Plastic Ono Band should be acknowledged, understood, even respected. But how the hell anyone can enjoy this mess is beyond me. Clearly, there are an awful lot of people who DO like it (check the RS number!), but I just cannot get into that mindset, which is something I can't say about any other album. There are those who have claimed you need to be deeply depressed, or have experienced mental instability, to truly love this record. Thing is, I've experienced both, and I still hate it. Everything from the production (shoddy at best), to the basslines (plodding and bored), to the piano parts (far too simplistic), to the lyrics (truly awful), is shockingly bad. Had anyone other than John Lennon recorded this, it'd have been immediately dismissed and forgotten. Hell, it probably wouldn't even have been released. I guess that sort of critical blindness is the perk of being a former Beatle. Even John himself seemed desperate to forget this, returning immediately to the sound he was famous for on "Imagine".

John Lennon is undoubtedly capable of writing deeply personal, cutting, great songs (see "Help!" and "Jealous Guy" ). Here, he fails to do so, time and time again. What Lennon failed to realize is that there are far better ways to express your anger than throwing a tantrum. Ever heard anyone say that Yoko Ono ruined John Lennon? They were lying. It was Dr. Arthur Janov. Here's your proof.

Yeah, screw these microscope threads. Its obvious if you dont care for a record by John your going to get crucified around here. I kind of knew it was going to happen anyways. The solo microscope threads werent going to work anyways, because most of the so called Beatle fans around here dont own 3/4's of it anyhow, so whats the point? Lets all just go back to posting pictures of them, typing what Beatle items we last bought, and discuss the weather around us. That's exciting and should be safe for everybody. Shut it down Cor.

nimrod

« Reply #83 on: February 27, 2013, 09:52:31 AM »

Here's the end results of a review by Nick Butler at Sputnik Music. He says what I tried to, but couldnt find the words.

Yeah, screw these microscope threads. Its obvious if you dont care for a record by John your going to get crucified around here.

well I was intending saying no more but fecking hell Todd, this has got to be the understatement of all time...

'if you dont care for the album'  ha2ha

never mind that you ripped the guy to shreds, character assasinated him...called him a phoney fake liar,.......its all because you 'didnt care for the album '

ha2ha ha2ha

very funny mate

For my remarks to snoopy I have nothing against her and I wasn't asking her to leave the forum. I was suggesting to leave the thread if it bothered her so much.

so snoopy dared to question you about your Lennon views and your answer to her was to suggest she leave the thread ? speaking as a mod I dont think you should be asking posters to leave the thread and to 'shut the door behind them '........no wonder post numbers are dwindling around here when you can speak to people like that.

Bobber

« Reply #84 on: February 27, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »

You only read what you want to read. You have accused me of a lot of things and have hardly responded to that. If you had read my review properly, you would have noticed that I'm not and nowhere stating that John was an acting fool or misguiding us. You're only picking up the lines that suit your opinion.

I have resigned from my administrator status.

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #85 on: February 27, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »

I have resigned from my administrator status.
That's the best thing you could do, thank's  :laugh:
Snoopy

Bobber

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2013, 01:49:43 PM »

That's the best thing you could do, thank's  :laugh:
Snoopy

Guess what. I don't want to be a part of it at all. I'm leaving the forum and hope that is better off with you instead of me.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:02:10 PM by Bobber »

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »

Well this has turned into a bunch of cr*p hasn't it. Good grief. I was only here 5 minutes. And we're only arguing about pop music - what would you guys be like over something actually serious?
TK things Lennon is a charlton. Bobber can't stand POB. Great. I don't think he was and I do. Isn't that why we come here. Don't know about you guys but I couldn't strike up a discussion about Beatle albums with the wife.
One final thing Lennonists - if John is going to make a "personal" album then ipso facto people are going to talk about his personality. Aren't they?
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »

Where do I say I can't stand the album? Where do I say Lennon is lying? Where do I say he's a hypocrite? Where is it clear that I am abusing the microscope threads to slam John Lennon? I admit I haven't been very flattering in the reviews of the albums he made with Yoko. Maybe I should have praised them, I don't know. On all other accounts: proof me wrong. It is said that I've been negative and that it wasn't motivating towards other members. Oh well.

I've been accused of these things over and over again, yet I haven't seen a quote with my name on it. I have been critical towards POB as I have been towards other albums. Nothing more, nothing less. I can stand a good discussion, I've been in here long enough. But the fact that I am leaving this place is not the fact that someone disagrees with me, but because I'm truely disappointed that I have been falsely accused plus that a member with 125 posts which hardly contains any useful information, thinks that I have made the right decision to resign as an admin. I have been here eight intensive years and stood up for many members and usually backed up the mods. If Snoopy66 can do a better job, I challenge her to do so. Good luck with it.

In the meantime, I am deleting personal information in here and say farewell after that.

Two hours later. The big dictator wouldn't let me go and offered me a Russian raise in the salary..I'm gonna have big break anyway.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:22:33 PM by Bobber »

nimrod

« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2013, 10:51:46 PM »

As for being falsely accused Cor, It has to be said  these John microscope threads are a complete joke, there is no thought at all gone into yours or Todds reviews, they look like they were written by a 12 year old to me reviewing his parents records that he hates.........'this is sh*t,' etc etc ........come on, what hope is there of building constructive comment where its all based around comments like these ?

and as for you quiting your 'job' as admin, why would you do that ? are you so sensitive you cant stand criticism ? also imo if you are going to leave the forum then just stop posting and leave, why announce it several times in separate posts ?

Anyway I dont know why your freaking out over this after all you did say on page 1 of this review

quote;

' I want to see some fireworks in this thread.' :D

nimrod

« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »

Well this has turned into a bunch of cr*p hasn't it. Good grief. I was only here 5 minutes. And we're only arguing about pop music - what would you guys be like over something actually serious?
TK things Lennon is a charlton. Bobber can't stand POB. Great. I don't think he was and I do. Isn't that why we come here. Don't know about you guys but I couldn't strike up a discussion about Beatle albums with the wife.
One final thing Lennonists - if John is going to make a "personal" album then ipso facto people are going to talk about his personality. Aren't they?

Kevin, I dont care about people not liking Johns music but when they rubbish him personally and call him a fake I get annoyed and have to support John. I cant help it, its in my DNA ;)

If people are offended by my support of John and quit the forum that is their decision, I dont see why anyone would quit the forum over a disagreement but everyone is different.........anyways if your going to be outspoken and have partisan views against somebody or something, someone is going to disagree with you sooner or later (ie me) :D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2013, 01:24:18 AM »

As for being falsely accused Cor, It has to be said  these John microscope threads are a complete joke, there is no thought at all gone into yours or Todds reviews, they look like they were written by a 12 year old to me reviewing his parents records that he hates.........'this is sh*t,' etc etc ........come on, what hope is there of building constructive comment where its all based around comments like these ?

This is pure bullsh*t. First off, take the time to separate what I said from what Cor said. I was the one that said Lennon was as an actor and I still believe it. Whatever he could do to get a rise. He preys on human stupidity and its never been more obvious then this thread. Secondly, you think Cor and my reviews are a joke and thats only because they arent what you want to see. If I said the music is sh*t, then I think it is. Sorry I cant make you happy by praising the album because your idol wrote it. 

and as for you quiting your 'job' as admin, why would you do that ? are you so sensitive you cant stand criticism ? also imo if you are going to leave the forum then just stop posting and leave, why announce it several times in separate posts ?

Anyway I dont know why your freaking out over this after all you did say on page 1 of this review

Your asking Cor why he's about to leave after you've attacked the guy since his review? Wow.

' I want to see some fireworks in this thread.' :D

Obviously not allowed

nimrod

« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2013, 02:14:24 AM »

This is pure bullsh*t. First off, take the time to separate what I said from what Cor said. I was the one that said Lennon was as an actor and I still believe it. Whatever he could do to get a rise. He preys on human stupidity and its never been more obvious then this thread. Secondly, you think Cor and my reviews are a joke and thats only because they arent what you want to see. If I said the music is sh*t, then I think it is. Sorry I cant make you happy by praising the album because your idol wrote it. 

Your asking Cor why he's about to leave after you've attacked the guy since his review? Wow.

Obviously not allowed

ahh so now Im stupid for liking John Lennon ?

In case you hadnt noticed Todd, this is a Beatle s forum, in praise of The Beatles, if you come on here calling John Lennon a phoney who preys on human stupidity, your going to upset somebody and maybe get some flak (which you obviously dont like)

Cors 'microscope threads' are f***ing abysmal, just a slagfest of all that is Lennon, and you seem to goad him on to disparage them even further, it seems there is no boundaries to your hatred of John Lennon............I offered to do the lennon microscope thread but Cor told me he was doing them, If I was doing them I would have written a few hundred words, I wouldnt have praised the early albums because I wasn't a fan of them but I would have tried to understand what was going on in his head at that time and I would have tried to formulate a cohesive appraisal of things like the gig he did with Clapton, how it came about, that he did that gig and how it came over as an album, a kind of review that might stimulate grown up discussion in a cohesive way......not just wooden off handish remarks like 'the drummer didnt sound interested'

Anyway, its a big difference of opinion, its not serious , no-one died, Im disappointed you calling me stupid for liking John Lennon Todd, I thought we were above  personal insults, but if that is what you feel then so be it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2013, 03:05:57 AM »

ahh so now Im stupid for liking John Lennon ?

I never said you were stupid Kev. I was merely suggesting that its a common fact that the majority of people jump on Johns coattails no matter what he does. It seems Cor and I are the only two that hasent and like I said before, we're getting crucified.

In case you hadnt noticed Todd, this is a Beatle s forum, in praise of The Beatles, if you come on here calling John Lennon a phoney who preys on human stupidity, your going to upset somebody and maybe get some flak (which you obviously dont like)

I have failed to see any rules mentioned anywhere that states everybody has to say and believe positive things about the Beatles here. If they do exist, please point them out to me. What is your problem with any kind of diversity anyways? The Beatles were just four guys that made some music and I dont like all of that music or even how some of them acted all the time. I'm sorry, but they arent anything more then that to me.

Cors 'microscope threads' are f***ing abysmal, just a slagfest of all that is Lennon, and you seem to goad him on to disparage them even further, it seems there is no boundaries to your hatred of John Lennon

Its been a slagfest because the stuff he released up this point has been f***ing abysmal. How am I goading him? Cor's a big boy. I'm not telling him what to do or how is opinion should be.

...I offered to do the lennon microscope thread but Cor told me he was doing them, If I was doing them I would have written a few hundred words, I wouldnt have praised the early albums because I wasn't a fan of them but I would have tried to understand what was going on in his head at that time and I would have tried to formulate a cohesive appraisal of things like the gig he did with Clapton, how it came about, that he did that gig and how it came over as an album, a kind of review that might stimulate grown up discussion in a cohesive way......not just wooden off handish remarks like 'the drummer didnt sound interested'

Nobody stopped you from typing all that stuff. Even if you did, would that have changed anybodys opinion of it. I wouldnt have even done a review of the first three record or the live gig. Why? Because they were all sh*t. Seriously Kev, even you have to admit that. Three albums of experimental mumble jumble and an unrehearsed live show that any bar band could have pulled off. How much discussion do you feel you would have received?

Anyway, its a big difference of opinion, its not serious , no-one died, Im disappointed you calling me stupid for liking John Lennon Todd, I thought we were above  personal insults, but if that is what you feel then so be it.

Well it seems to be getting pretty f***ing serious. Serious enough that the most active and respected person on the forum damn near left. I didnt call you stupid, but I see that it came across like that. Sorry.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2013, 03:19:06 AM »

Eh, this is silly. I need to get my review in for 'Imagine'.  ha2ha

nimrod

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2013, 03:31:18 AM »

Well it seems to be getting pretty f***ing serious. Serious enough that the most active and respected person on the forum damn near left. I didnt call you stupid, but I see that it came across like that. Sorry.

If Cor is prepared to leave just because I criticised him then it shows him in a poor light, maybe he shouldnt be on an internet forum let alone be in charge of it......... if he is so sensitive to criticism, you 2 more of less told Snoopy to get lost and she's still around and Ive been told I talk crap on other forums and its like water off a ducks back, I'll leave when I want to leave (or when I get banned) and I wont threaten to leave several times like Cor has done (maybe looking for sympathy), I'll just leave..........upon saying all this I know you and Cor are joined at the hip so Im just p*ssing in the proverbial wind here..

The Beatles were just four guys that made some music and I dont like all of that music or even how some of them acted all the time. I'm sorry, but they arent anything more then that to me.

Then it begs the why are you on a Beatle fan forum ? are you here to wind people like me up by insinuating they are stupid for being a John Lennon fan ?

Im here because I adore The Beatles.........all 4 of them, to me they are/were monumentally great, nothing is better that The Beatles, I owe them heaps, what they did was Genius level..........any musician in the world wouldve given their 4 wisdom teeth to be in that 'Bar Room group' as you call it of John Lennons...........dont you realize that ? all John ever had to do was make a call.........all the Claptons, Pages, Becks, Kieth Richards wouldve done anything to be in Lennons or McCartneys band..........not because these guys were good actors but because they were Beatles and they were the best of the best.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2013, 03:57:17 AM »

upon saying all this I know you and Cor are joined at the hip so Im just p*ssing in the proverbial wind here..

If you say so.

Then it begs the why are you on a Beatle fan forum ?

They are my favorite band, although I havent listened to a Beatles album since I did the reviews on them.Still though, they are only 4 people and nothing more. I've learned a lot about them on here whenever I was interested in knowing. I havent needed or wanted to know anything for some time though. Maybe its because i've been here since the beginning. Maybe i'm just waiting for something interesting to come along. I'm not sure.

are you here to wind people like me up by insinuating they are stupid for being a John Lennon fan ?

Maybe, if they act stupid enough.

Im here because I adore The Beatles.........all 4 of them, to me they are/were monumentally great, nothing is better that The Beatles, I owe them heaps,

I feel that i've given them heaps and no longer owe them anything. How long does the adoration last? If somebody asks me who my favorite band is, i'll tell them the Beatles, but thats as far it goes anymore.

what they did was Genius level..........any musician in the world wouldve given their 4 wisdom teeth to be in that 'Bar Room group' as you call it of John Lennons...........dont you realize that ? all John ever had to do was make a call.........all the Claptons, Pages, Becks, Kieth Richards wouldve done anything to be in Lennons or McCartneys band..........not because these guys were good actors but because they were Beatles and they were the best of the best.

Lol. What band are we talking about here, the Beatles or POB? Regardless, people would be silly to turn down the recognition. As for the list of people you made, yeah they would come running, why,,,because they were John's friend. You think Richards would have left the Stones for the POB or Page leaving Zeppelin? Uh no, I dont think so. Hell, lesser people then that left McCartneys lineups. It would be like dating a supermodel, seems great at first but eventually you would get sick of their sh*t. Best of the best is pretty broad too. I think most popular would be a better analogy.

Bobber

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2013, 04:22:26 AM »

Don't worry guys, I will be off within a day. I'm just cleaning up and deleting personal pictures and information. After reading all this after my last post, my decision is final. I'm not sensitive and not afraid for a heated debate. I've been in many in here. I'm not leaving because I\m critised, but because I\m disappointed.
Nimrod, please take some time to reread your posts in the McCartney microscopes. You probably won't as you just read what you want to read and turn it your way as it suits you.

Bobber

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2013, 04:25:52 AM »

You know, with the deletion there's an option to delete 'all posts made by this member'. You will all be freed from the badly written, negative and non stimulating microscope threads. And some other useless stuff.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2013, 06:13:47 AM »

This place is amazing. One of the only f***ing people on here than can even come up with an interesting thing to say about the band anymore is leaving and for what? Because we didnt line up to blow Joihn Lennon like everybody else around here. What a f***ing shame.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Page created in 0.891 seconds with 73 queries.