Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Rubber Soul underrated?  (Read 15164 times)

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
Re: Rubber Soul underrated?
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »

This is probably my 3rd favorite album!

Sonic Blue

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 11:47:21 AM »

I don't think that a critically acclaimed, globally successful album which has, after upwards of 43 years, never been deleted can meaningfully be considered underrated. ;) It contains some of The Beatles best constructed songs (I also share the widespread preference for Revolver to listen to but Rubber Soul contains more songs that I enjoy performing) It shows The Beatles maturing emotionally & culturally & accepting that their audience have as well (It was released a mere two years after "I Wanna Hold Your Hand") Whilst I feel the diversity of tastes & versatility of abilities which characterised Beatles music were less well represented here than on most of their albums, It is, nevertheless, an album which wouldn't disgrace ANY record collection.
The purpose of life is to find out 'Who am I?', 'Why am I here?' and 'Where am I going?
- George Harrison in 1992.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 01:00:06 AM »

I think we're sort of forgetting the stages of the Beatle's career. Rubber Soul was their new sound in 65, Revolver their sound in 66. We wouldn't have to got Revolver without Rubber Soul. I understand what people mean, and personally, I like Revolver better. But Rubber Soul is quite possibly the best pop album of all time and ceratinly in the top ten of all albums made.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »

rubber soul is in the top 3 beatles albums,surely.maybe even in the top 1.i think revolver may be recorded better,but the jump from help! lp to rubber soul is absolutely huge.way bigger than the leap from rubber soul to revolver.all a matter of opinion on which is the best beatles album,always will be.my personal fave is the white album.but as for rubber soul-jeez,what an album folks.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 03:09:18 PM »

Quote from: 1594
rubber soul is in the top 3 beatles albums,surely.maybe even in the top 1.i think revolver may be recorded better,but the jump from help! lp to rubber soul is absolutely huge.way bigger than the leap from rubber soul to revolver.

Don't see that myself. A good few songs from Help! would sit nicely on Rubber Soul and vice versa. They're both guitar driven albums with similar mixes of song types. And Help! has orchestration, non-rock instrumentation and non-girlie songs - the things that generally distinguish their later career, and tghe immergence of which people generally point to Rubber Soul/Revolver.
But Revolver strikes me as much more of a change. Most Revolver songs wouldn't sit on Rubber Soul (and I'm not just talking about the songs, but also the production and arrangement.)
i would put Help! and Rubber Soul together (with with the latter being the beater) and Revolver and Pepper as pair (with the former being the best.)
don't follow leaders

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 07:47:28 PM »

ok kev-can see your point-although i do see help!as more a pop record,much more 'up'than rubber soul.i always got the impression that the musical step from help!to rubber soul was a big one.in my opinion there are two big factors that make revolver the more 'important'(if you will)-tomorrow never knows is one-the other being the absolutely magnificent distorted guitar sound-which really drives a lot of the album.obviously there is more to it than that but those two things are the things that stick out for me.i wouldn't put help!and rubber soul together.in a matter of months the beatles thing changed-look at the writing of nowhere man,in my life,girl,even think for yourself is a big leap.just far better songs-there is only really the title track and ticket to ride for me-and obviously yesterday.even hide your love away has an 'up' feel to it.too much filler on help!.

i realise i am leaving myself open to attack here by a much more intelligent beatles fan who will pick my argument to pieces-that is the beauty of being a fan though!also i wouldn't be able to see revolver and pepper as a pair-the recording of pepper is just so far out.so so different from anything they did before, or after when i think about it.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 08:28:44 AM »

Quote from: 1594
also i wouldn't be able to see revolver and pepper as a pair-the recording of pepper is just so far out.so so different from anything they did before, or after when i think about it.

Love You To = Within You Without You (George Indian song)
Eleanor Rigby = She's Leaving Home (Paul String arranged social commentary.)
Got to Get You Into My Life = Good Morning Good Morning (Brass arrangement)
Tommorrow Never Knows = A Day In The Life (Lennon Psychedelic Big Finish)
Yellow Submarine = A Little Help etc - (Jolly Ringo sing along)
Good Day Sunshine = Lovely Rita (Paul Mid-paced rocker)

As I've said before, I think if you take away the reprise and fancy cover Pepper is Son of Revolver (the slightly inferior but still enjoyable sequel).
An eclectic collection of songs with a wide variety of arrangementsPepper was made unique by Paul's "lets-pretend-we're-someone-else" trick.
don't follow leaders

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »

yeah its' a good point kev-i wouldn't normally look at things in that way.i was getting more at the sounds on the pepper album,the different kind of effects they got from recording-thats' what i was getting at.the strange sounds on mr kite for example,also the comb-and-paper trick,the extensive use of harmonicas on good morning,audience sounds on the title track etc.etc.your point is a good one though-however,i do enjoy listening to pepper more than revolver......sometimes.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »

Quote from: 185

Don't see that myself. A good few songs from Help! would sit nicely on Rubber Soul and vice versa. They're both guitar driven albums with similar mixes of song types. And Help! has orchestration, non-rock instrumentation and non-girlie songs - the things that generally distinguish their later career, and tghe immergence of which people generally point to Rubber Soul/Revolver.
But Revolver strikes me as much more of a change. Most Revolver songs wouldn't sit on Rubber Soul (and I'm not just talking about the songs, but also the production and arrangement.)
i would put Help! and Rubber Soul together (with with the latter being the beater) and Revolver and Pepper as pair (with the former being the best.)

This was well said Kev. I feel the exact same way.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 06:43:17 PM »

i much prefer the feel of rubber soul to the feel of revolver.maybe we could agree that rubber soul was the 'springboard album',the record where the writing and attitude toward writing songs became more of a serious thing. songs like'you won't see me','think for yourself','i'm looking through you'they all have great lyrics with a more mature outlook.although maybe not the best beatles album for a lot of fans(though that is open to debate),any serious fan surely cannot dismiss rubber soul?and surely it isn't lumped in with the pop feel of help?i do feel quite strongly about this one guys.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2009, 08:34:20 PM »

'Rubber Soul' always came across as a more country/pop themed album to me whereas 'Revolver' had a psychedelic feel with better constructed songs. Like Kevin said before though, I feel the transition from 'HELP' to 'Rubber Soul' was a more natural feeling than 'Soul' was to 'Revolver'.

It doesnt matter though, their all great albums in the end.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 10:35:02 PM »

maybe it's true to lots of fans-after all,revolver is top polling lots of the time on the 'best beatles album' thing.lots of people though will always come back to the lennon who penned'nowhere man' and 'in my life'.never discount the quality of songs on rubber soul.a very very good album.perhaps the songs on revolver do shade it,and admittedly the recording sounds are superior.but the whole rubber soul package works for me-the cover is great,the suede jackets and big,big moptops.the variety of quality songwriting,and george starting to show what he's capable of.not much fodder-even'what goes on'ain't bad.the album flows well in my opinion.so,perhaps not quite revolver,but a good good effort nonetheless.i think even all four fabs have a big soft spot for it too.i remember reading that john said about rubber soul ....'we were just getting good.'it is a strong john album.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2009, 08:13:17 AM »

I prefer Rs to Revolver. It has a "groove" that sets it apart. Revolver is an excellent collection of songs, but lacks something to tie it all together. It feels more like a geatest hits or a compliation.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2009, 12:34:12 AM »

Eh, I prefer 'Revolver'. Its my favorite Beatles album.

Like I said though, you cant go wrong with any of them.

aaronb

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2009, 03:38:01 AM »

honestly i can say i really dont have a favorite..when i listen to the beatles its got to be a bit of everythig from all the albums

briannamariee

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2009, 02:04:56 AM »

nonono. it's second on my list!

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »

nonono. it's second on my list!

me too!! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2009, 03:48:49 PM »

This "overrated"/"underrated" is a purely subjective discussion. Over/under rated just means you like it more than (you fill in the blank). If you love something and don't think there is anything better, there is no way it is overrated. Rated against what? I love all of the Beatles albums like children, I love them all for their own special qualities. Are there some I prefer more, yes. Even the ones that I feel are my least favorites still are not over/under-rated.

It might be, "Does... get more attention than you would give it?" I recently was involved in a discussion, in another forum, about 'Pet Sounds'. The polarization in feelings about 'Pet Sounds' is amazing. If you take a group of music enthusiasts and talk about 'Sgt Pepper' you will get different opinions. Some say that it is the greatest, and some will say that it is over hyped.

As has been stated 'Rubber Soul' is high on many fans list of favorite albums. It used to be my favorite, or shall I say most preferred. Now, I prefer 'Revolver' over 'Rubber Soul'. This does not mean that I think 'Revolver' is better. It just speaks to me more as to where I am in my life right now. We all could debate how "over/under-rated" an album is until we are all old and gray, and still not have an answer.

'Rubber Soul' is a great album. It gets lots of play time in my house. Underrated? That depends on who you are talking to.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

nowhereman71

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2009, 10:56:49 PM »

I've got a very soft spot for "Beatles For Sale", not usually seen as one of the Fabs' bestest best, but I love the combination of John's acoustic guitar, George's lovely Gretsch and Paul's melodic bass.  It's a blueprint for folk-rock, if that's a good thing, but you can't blame the Beatles for what they inspired  :D

A Hard Day's Night is a very happy album, and the only album containing songs written just by John and Paul.

I love all the albums and am not really able to be objective about them anymore, but my faves amongst their albums are, in order...

1.  Revolver
2.  The Beatles
3.  Rubber Soul

4.  Beatles For Sale

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2009, 11:53:03 PM »

i could be wrong but overall, rubber soul sounds like it has alot of tambourine

yeah, i love it - all the songs and the album cover too!  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.613 seconds with 88 queries.