Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 665

Author Topic: Currently listening to...  (Read 586829 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Currently listening to...
« Reply #11920 on: September 26, 2014, 04:40:15 PM »

'Delay 1968' (released in 1981, but actually '68/'69 recordings) and 'Monster Movie'  ('69) by Can are simply staggering.

Among others, Joy Division, PIL and The Fall appear to have based their entire careers around them!
I can't put my finger on why I like Can so much and yet can't stand Led Zeppelin from the same era?
I guess it's because they're almost anti-rock.

There is a (very slight) Beatles connection, Can provided some of the music for the really rather good 'Deep End' in 1970, a film that starred Jane Asher.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #11921 on: October 02, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »

http://youtu.be/nkGwcA4j-9s

RIP Lynsey de Paul

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #11922 on: October 05, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »

After a month of listening to Captain Beefheart, Velvet Underground, 'Electronic Sound' and Can, it's only logical that someone would go 'poppy' and, let me tell you, there is no greater pop LP than 'A Hard Day's Night'.

Maybe it was seeing the film on the big screen in the summer but, after years of relative neglect, I've arrived with a renewed energy to it and I don't think I've ever enjoyed the thing more.
It goes in the CD player, it gets played 4 times, it stays in the CD player for the next time.

So, while the whole of Britain seems this year to have wallowed in (largely boring) stories about 1914 (more war.....really?), I'm throwing myself into 1964!

Actually, given the remarkable events of 1964, it's barely had a mention in the media.

Personally, I'd rather teach the kids about John, Paul, George and Ringo rather than (another) war 100 years ago.....but there you go.....it's not as though they haven't got plenty of war to study in 2014.....it's fantastic pop music and optimism they haven't got enough of. 

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #11923 on: October 07, 2014, 08:59:51 AM »

Pattys Song der Woche: Neuruppin on Vimeo
#Vimeo

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #11924 on: October 09, 2014, 08:56:48 AM »

My 12 year old boy pointed me to this today.

http://youtu.be/XqLTe8h0-jo

May not please the purists but I thought it was a faithful tribute (had to be since Brian Wilson took part) and I was impressed my 12 year old thought it was so cool.

KelMar

« Reply #11925 on: October 09, 2014, 04:44:56 PM »

May not please the purists but I thought it was a faithful tribute (had to be since Brian Wilson took part) and I was impressed my 12 year old thought it was so cool.

I think it's nice to see all those artists paying respect to this piece of musical perfection. Speaking of respect, I saw a report about it on ABC World News last night. They showed a few seconds of the footage from the original recording session and I thought it was a shame that they didn't mention that it was Carl singing the lead vocals. It would have been nice to see his contribution acknowledged.

"I gave the song to Carl because I was looking for a tenderness and a sweetness which I knew Carl had in himself as well as in his voice. He brought dignity to the song and the words, through him, became not a lyric, but words." "Brian behind the BEACH BOYS". Hit Parader: October 4, 1966

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11926 on: October 09, 2014, 05:47:32 PM »

That's interesting, Moogmodule; thanks for sharing the link. I wasn't aware of this project. It's nice that your 12-year-old has an appreciation of it.   :)

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
I can stay till it's time to go

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
« Reply #11929 on: October 15, 2014, 05:32:45 AM »

Тамбовский волк тебе товарищ! )))) There is such joke.

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #11930 on: October 16, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »

George Formby - When i'm cleaning windows

Know the Beatles connection?
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
I can stay till it's time to go

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #11932 on: October 21, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »

Dug out the 'Love Story' compilation in order to listen to the post-'Forever Changes' group and I think I might invest in 'Four Sail' (August '69 - 10 songs) and 'Out Here' (December '69 - 17 songs; not exactly lazy were they?!) on CD.

Also waiting for the 'nude' version of 'Electric Ladyland' to drop through the post-box.
Never my favourite Jimi record, I'm determined to get into it, and I'm guessing it might be easier to do so over 2-CDs than the 1-CD which always felt a bit of a slog.   

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11933 on: October 23, 2014, 02:36:04 AM »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11934 on: November 04, 2014, 09:31:28 PM »

A cute pick-me-up tune. I love singing along with Neil Sedaka.  :)

Neil Sedaka Living right next door to an angel

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #11935 on: November 04, 2014, 11:50:26 PM »

Going through this wonderful box now.

"Verve - The Sound Of America - The Singles Collection is a 5-CD collection featuring 100 singles from the Verve catalog - over 20 of which have been out of print for years. Packaged in a stylish, two-part, lift-off box Verve - The Sound Of America includes a 48-page booklet and extensive liner notes. Verve - The Sound Of America - The Singles Collection takes you through the history of one of the most influential jazz labels of all-time with tracks such as Ella Fitzgerald's Top 50 hit 'Mack The Knife' (1960); Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto 's Top 5, GRAMMY® Award winning hit 'The Girl From Ipanema' (1964) Jimmy Smith's Top 100 hit 'The Cat' (1964) and Diana Krall's 'The Look Of Love' (2001). Also featured are jazz renditions of contemporary classics such as Wes Montgomery's version of The Mamas & The Papas' classic hit 'California Dreaming' (1966), Don Sebesky's version of the Beatles 'The Word' (1968) and Willie Bobo's original version of 'Evil Ways' (1968) the song made famous by Santana. The box set will be issued in conjunction with the lavishly illustrated 400-page book, Verve - The Sound of America, published by Thames & Hudson which will release on November 4, 2013. Founded in 1956 by jazz impresario Norman Granz, Verve Records, along with its associated labels, has consistently been the forefront of jazz's development as both an American art form and an influential commercial force for more than half a century."
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11936 on: November 05, 2014, 03:53:08 AM »

One of my favorite early Who songs. Some of the lyrics remind me a bit of Mean Mr. Mustard.

The Who - Silas Stingy

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #11937 on: November 05, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »

Until they put out an As and Bs set (I could give you the list now, it'll probably come out in 2038!) this is my fave Who L.P. by a considerable margin.

I'm currently listening to.....erm.....'The Basement Tapes'.
I'm so far behind the rest of society (willingly) that when a 'Smile' or 'Live at the BBC' or 'Basement Tapes' comes along I have to get on board. Amazing to think that those three releases have all come in the last three years. 

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #11938 on: November 06, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »

I'm working my way through George's catalogue at the moment, and I've just moved from the deplorable "Extra Texture" onto the wonderful "Thirty Three & 1/3".... talk about a jump in quality from one album to the next!!!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #11939 on: November 06, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »

I'm working my way through George's catalogue at the moment, and I've just moved from the deplorable "Extra Texture" onto the wonderful "Thirty Three & 1/3".... talk about a jump in quality from one album to the next!!!

Extra Texture was pretty depressing. And was probably responsible for sealing George's fate as far as his reputation as a dull artist. He should have taken a break after Dark Horse. If he'd bounced back with 33 and a third it would have gone a long way to winning back audiences.

That said there's some pretty good tracks on Extra Texture. Just as there's some weak ones on 33. The difference being that 33 was upbeat and poppy. After the wonderfully trite but catchy You there wasn't much cheer to be had on Extra Texture
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:21:11 PM by Moogmodule »
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 665

Page created in 2.556 seconds with 93 queries.