Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Rubber Soul  (Read 41752 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Rubber Soul
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 03:24:45 AM »

By the way, Paul mentioned a Mellotron. Did they have a Mellotron back in 1965?

From Wikipedia:

Mike Pinder of The Moody Blues had done an 18-month stint as an employee of Streetly Electronics as a quality control and test driver. He later made the mellotron a "signature sound" for the Moody Blues (at a later time, the instrument was even called the "Pindertron"). Pinder used it extensively and systematically on almost each of their songs from 1966 to 1972 ("Love And Beauty", "Nights In White Satin", "Question", "I'm Just a Singer (In a Rock and Roll Band)", etc. Pinder claims to have introduced John Lennon and Paul McCartney to the Mellotron, though they had heard of it before Pinder's mention. Pinder tried to convince the Beatles to begin to use the instrument on their songs.

After visiting the Mellotron studios on August 12, 1965, John Lennon bought one for use in his Weybridge home, and it was received on August 16, 1965. The Beatles first use of Mellotron sounds was on the song Tomorrow Never Knows where they used reel to reel recorders to record Mellotron brass and string sounds which, along with other sounds, were then brought into the studio. The heavy weight of the Mellotron prevented the machine from easily being transported. The Beatles hired in a machine and subsequently (and more prominently) used it on their psychedelic rock single "Strawberry Fields Forever" (recorded November–December 1966). The Beatles continued to compose and record with various Mellotrons for the albums "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band", "Magical Mystery Tour", and "The Beatles" (White Album).

I can stay till it's time to go

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 03:36:40 AM »

So that might have been one of their very first uses of the Mellotron, writing the melody of "In My Life" according to Paul.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 03:41:01 AM »

Or just the middle-eight, according to John.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 03:42:14 AM »

Right.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 04:03:01 AM »

The Word - That's George Martin on the harmonium, tkitna.  I agree with everything you've said about this song and can only add that I like the quick piano intro too.

The mono version sounds much tighter and fuller in my opinion...

THE BEATLES Remasters! /// 6. The Word - (RUBBER SOUL) - (MONO Remastered 2009)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 04:13:01 AM »

Steve Earle & bluegras dukes - I'm looking through you

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 04:40:58 AM »

You Won't See Me - This song is pure "ear candy" with its beautiful double-tracked Paul vocal and multi-tracked backup harmony vocals by John and George.  The ooh-ooh-la-la-las fit this song and keep the non-stop rich vocals going continuously.  I like Ringos drumming and I like the outro with yet another track of Paul now backing up the ooh-ooh-la-la-las .

What an amazing song!

What an amazing album!!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:06:41 AM by Hello Goodbye »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 05:50:13 AM »

Think For Yourself - George is becoming a good songwriter now.  I like this song and Paul's fuzz bass.  George's vocal is perfect.

Strains of this song were used in Yellow Submarine.  I nearly flipped when I heard that in the movie theater when the movie was released.  It was a three year throwback but it fit right into the movie.

Yellow Submarine Part 6

Do I hear music?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 05:57:12 AM »

I think its funny that John nor Paul could actually really remember who did what on some of the songs. Thats was a long time ago with lots of drugs and a lot of songs to sift their minds through.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 06:04:54 AM »

If I Needed Someone - Here's another song from George that I really like, especially that 12-string Rick riff which plays throughout the song.  John and Paul provide perfect harmony to George's great lead vocal.  This is more ear candy on my favorite Beatles album,

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 06:20:08 AM »

Girl - Here's another song I learned to play on guitar early on because it was fun singing to, in a plaintive fashion.  If I happened to be playing it out on my college campus mall, it never failed to attract others who would gleefully add the tit tit tits.  I never learned to play that great guitar solo. 

It's never to late to learn!   ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 06:30:50 AM »

Run For Your Life - I, too, cannot understand why so many deride this song.  Sure it's chauvinistic, but John was expressing out loud feelings which everyone has experienced.

It's George's lead guitar which makes it for me.  Add John's fine rhythm guitar and Paul's harmony vocals and the result is another of my favorite songs on Rubber Soul and a nice way to end this, my favorite Beatles album.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »

Wait, I almost forgot to comment on Wait - It's another fine love song with lead vocals shared by Paul and John.  I like Ringo's drumming and tambourine (he used it often on this album and I like that) and George's lead guitar.  I always liked the quick two note guitar ending.  When I heard that, I knew that Run For Your Life was next up and would be thinking if I had the time to play the album a second time.

Look how only John is looking at the camera.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 02:41:30 PM »

ok,rubber soul.the first album i owned on vinyl.my brother is a big rolling stones fan,he gave me his copy of rubber soul,i was 12 or 13 years old,so it would have been 1986ish.i can safely say this album changed my musical life,i listened to this album so much,and i know it absolutely inside out and back to front.firstly folks i think george plays bass on 'drive my car'.it sounds like paul on guitar-this is the first album that george starts annoying paul and vice-versa.standouts on the album for me are 'nowhere man',beautiful.lovely bass playing from paul.'the word' is a top song with ringo playing great.'think for yourself' absolutely knocks spots off 'if i needed someone'.'think for yourself is one of my faves on the album.also 'girl','in my life'(sublime),'i'm looking through you'(although i prefer the anthology version with no middle 8),'you won't see me' is fantastic.to me,the record is as good as revolver.i think the production on revolver is superior.i know the majority of fans plump for 'revolver' every time,and it is a monster.i just reckon 'rubber soul' is there with it.for every song you name on 'revolver' i can call a song off of 'rubber soul' to rival it.so rubber soul......big melodies,bigger haircuts,better touring suits.and the sleeve is better than revolvers' as well.THIS album is where it all begins for me.the beatles' ride is now firmly 'on'.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »

There's a common mistake about who played the bass on "Drive My Car". Some sources said that it was George, but it was actually Paul, no other Beatle played the bass until the White Album. I think that the mistake came from misunderstanding these George's words from 1977:

"If Paul had written a song, he'd learn all the parts and then come in the studio and say 'Do this.' He'd never give you the opportunity to come out with something. But on 'Drive My Car' I just played the line, which is really like a lick off 'Respect,' you know, the Otis Redding version. And I played the line on the guitar and Paul laid that with me on the bass. We laid that track down like that. We played the lead part later on top of it."

When George said "Paul laid that with me on the bass" it may seem that he's saying that he played the bass because of the "with me on the bass", but it actually means "Paul laid that on the bass with me". George just played guitar as he said in the same sentence, the same line that Paul played on the bass. Paul also played the lead guitar solo.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:09:29 PM by Hombre_de_ningun_lugar »

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »

paul states george played bass on 'she said she said'.he had a row with the other three and stormed out over something or other.you can tell a paul bassline pretty easily.it could be paul or george on bass for 'drive my car'.it sounds more unpaul-like on 'she said she said' but this is guessing really.i can't pretend to be an expert,and you may well be right.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »

I'm not an expert too, and I didn't know that about "She Said She Said". But I'm pretty sure that Paul played bass on "Drive My Car", at least from what George said.

nimrod

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 10:21:12 PM »

If I Needed Someone - Here's another song from George that I really like, especially that 12-string Rick riff which plays throughout the song.  John and Paul provide perfect harmony to George's great lead vocal.  This is more ear candy on my favorite Beatles album,

George's first great song IMO

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 11:28:29 PM »

for every song you name on 'revolver' i can call a song off of 'rubber soul' to rival it..

I know its all just opinions, but after I review Revolver, i'm going to hold you to this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 86 queries.