Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Collection of Beatles Oldies... But Goldies - Extra Tracks  (Read 6398 times)

danielcelano

• A Beginning
A Collection of Beatles Oldies... But Goldies - Extra Tracks
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:49:42 PM »

That gives me an idea. What if "This Boy" was added to "A Collection of Beatles Oldies... But Goldies", especially the Larry William song cover called "Bad Boy"?

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
Re: A Collection of Beatles Oldies... But Goldies - Extra Tracks
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »

That gives me an idea. What if "This Boy" was added to "A Collection of Beatles Oldies... But Goldies", especially the Larry William song cover called "Bad Boy"?

This was a strange album.  Mostly non-lp songs that EMI released for the Christmas season in 1966.  Paperback Writer was included but Rain wasn't. 

Yellow Submarine and Eleanor Rigby were singles but also were on the Revolver album released in August of 1966.  Hardly "Oldies."

This Boy would have been a good track for this album. I'll Get You would have also - it was the B side if She Loves You and wasn't on any U.K. album.

If they added Thank You Girl, I'm Down, She's A Woman, Yes It Is, Long Tall Sally, I Call Your Name, Slow Down and Matchbox, it could have made a nice double album.
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 11:22:10 PM »

The tracks selected were all #1 hits in UK, plus the popular ballads "Yesterday" and "Michelle", and "Bad Boy" that hadn't been released in UK yet.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 02:18:25 AM »

The tracks selected were all #1 hits in UK, plus the popular ballads "Yesterday" and "Michelle", and "Bad Boy" that hadn't been released in UK yet.

True, but that doesn't stop me from tweaking these types of records in my head.  The geek in me.  glassesslip

It also didn't stop me from buying the Dr. Ebbetts mono and stereo needledrop.  ;)
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »

It's a pity that the 'Oldies but Goldies' artwork has never appeared since '66, as the cover, and especially the back cover photograph (George in particular), are fabulous.

A few years ago 'Rolled Gold', the 28 track Stones' compilation, was expanded into 40 tracks.
A similar expansion of 'Oldies', from 16 tracks to a 28 track compilation of the pre-67 era, could be a brilliant release. 

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 06:06:09 PM »

That back cover photo of George always reminds me of Davy Jones from The Monkees!  ;)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 12:32:30 AM »

The inclusion of "Michelle" tells how popular the ballad was those days. The song seems to be forgotten now by the general public, but I think it's the closer sister of "Yesterday".
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »

The inclusion of "Michelle" tells how popular the ballad was those days. The song seems to be forgotten now by the general public, but I think it's the closer sister of "Yesterday".

The real mystery about this album is why Michelle and Yesterday were on there and not Please Please Me.

It was an album with all the UK number ones up until then except for Please Please Me (which was recognised offically at the time as a UK number one - long before the stupid revisionism of ONE came along).

Bad Boy was on there to get the British fans to buy the album, so that's logical, but the absence of Please Please me is inexcusable.

By the way - Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out and Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine were double A sides. That's why they're all on there. There are no B sides on this record so the inclusion of This Boy etc. would be totally illogical.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 11:04:37 PM »

Bad Boy was on there to get the British fans to buy the album
In a nutshell this LP was released by EMI in time for christmas (December 9, 1966) since the Beatles were taking a long time recording Sgt. Pepper and including the extra track "Bad Boy", was throwing people a bone, since unlike the other songs "Bad Boy" was still unreleased in the UK.  As far "This Boy" it had already been released as a B side.

Myself I consider this LP part of the Beatles Canon for the inclusion of "Bad Boy", and also because it was released during their 1963-1970 LP releases.
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 56 queries.