Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Anyone collect their vinyls?  (Read 59487 times)

KelMar

Re: Anyone collect their vinyls?
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2012, 05:40:56 AM »

As the US Capitol versions are what you enjoy listening to do you have the Capitol Box Sets?

No, I don't and I haven't actually listened to the albums in many years. It's just a sentimental thing for me, thinking about the connection to my sister and brother that they represent. I'm not even sure I could listen to them without getting teary-eyed. I've been listening to the CDs that came first, before the remasters. But that's about to change as I just ordered the mono box set. I'm pretty excited about that.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2012, 06:06:26 AM »

As the US Capitol versions are what you enjoy listening to do you have the Capitol Box Sets?

Gary is making an important point here, Kelley.  The Capitol Box Sets are forgotten gems.  They recreate how we here in the United States first heard Beatles albums.  And they are the only way to hear certain unique mixes like the false starts in I'm Looking Through You.  There's also the bonus of having the stereo and mono releases of the Capitol albums. 

There was a problem with the early Capitol Box Set Vol. 2 not having the true mono mixes on Beatles VI and Rubber Soul but that was remedied.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2012, 06:15:44 AM »

Gary is making an important point here, Kelley.  The Capitol Box Sets are forgotten gems.  They recreate how we here in the United States first heard Beatles albums.  And they are the only way to hear certain unique mixes like the false starts in I'm Looking Through You.  There's also the bonus of having the stereo and mono releases of the Capitol albums. 

There was a problem with the early Capitol Box Set Vol. 2 not having the true mono mixes on Beatles VI and Rubber Soul but that was remedied.

That's interesting information for the wish list.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: February 08, 2012, 06:23:30 AM »

I heard the Capitol I'm Looking Through You so many times that when I play it on guitar I automatically start it like this...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You - False Start (Vinyl)

KelMar

« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2012, 06:32:31 AM »

I heard the Capitol I'm Looking Through You so many times that when I play it on guitar I automatically start it like this...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You - False Start (Vinyl)[/url]

I will have to go to YouTube for the time being. It's been a long time but this is what stands out in my memory, but in mono I'm sure...
Help (Stereo Version with James Bond Intro) - The Beatles

nimrod

« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2012, 07:23:54 AM »

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You - False Start (Vinyl)

OMG....so thats how you heard it in the States Barry ?

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #226 on: February 08, 2012, 07:20:07 PM »

I consider myself fortunate, when I first got all of the albums, and yes it was on vinyl, it was a Blue Box. Although as a side note, I did have "Meet The Beatles", "Something New", "Beatles '65", "'"Yesterday" And Today'" and "Hey Jude". So even as an American I got used to all of the albums in their British configuration. I now listen to the American albums occasionally, just for the fun of it, but I can't stand the way some of the songs sound. The "Dexterization" of them is hard to listen to. The worst songs are 'I Feel Fine' and 'She's A Woman'.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

nimrod

« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2012, 09:46:53 PM »

Speaking as someone who grew up in the UK Gary I just cant imagine how it would have been hearing the albums with tracks missing and different album titles, but then again I guess they were 'right' for Americans as thats all they heard (and saw), Im glad that things changed with Pepper though, what happens in the USA always mattered to me   ;)

I always wondered if Americans were puzzled by statements like '4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire'  ha2ha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2012, 10:35:55 PM »

OMG....so thats how you heard it in the States Barry ?

Yes, Kev.  And I listened to my Capitol vinyl Rubber Soul from 1965 until 1987 when I bought the UK Parlophone CD.  When I heard it on CD, I thought they chopped off the beginning of the song!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2012, 10:41:09 PM »

Kevin, if you listen to the Capitol Rubber Soul I'm Looking Through You with headphones, you can hear Paul humming softly during the false starts.  I think it was his way of counting into the song.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »

I always wondered if Americans were puzzled by statements like '4000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire'  ha2ha

I had no idea what that meant.  A British exchange student at my high school had to explain it to me. 

He also told me what "four of fish and finger pies" meant.   ;D

KelMar

« Reply #231 on: February 09, 2012, 06:03:52 AM »

I consider myself fortunate, when I first got all of the albums, and yes it was on vinyl, it was a Blue Box.

That is fortunate and a good investment.

I can't stand the way some of the songs sound. The "Dexterization" of them is hard to listen to. The worst songs are 'I Feel Fine' and 'She's A Woman'.

That was a new term to me but looking it up and listening on YouTube I do hear the difference. I actually have that single but nothing to play it with.

nimrod

« Reply #232 on: February 09, 2012, 06:12:56 AM »

He also told me what "four of fish and finger pies" meant.   ;D

now Barry, this is a family forum  ;)

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »

I always found it strange that Capitol didn't release the Beatles' earliest songs (from the UK "Please Please Me" album) until March 1965, when they put out the album "Early Beatles".
Must have been strange for fans hearing that album after having already heard all the late-63 and 1964 material - it will have seemed like a real backward step musically.
I know this material was on the 1964 VeeJay album "Introducing The Beatles", but that "Early Beatles" record sold a million copies from 1965 onwards (according to Wikipedia) so someone must have been buying it!

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2012, 10:48:51 PM »

That is fortunate and a good investment.

That was a new term to me but looking it up and listening on YouTube I do hear the difference. I actually have that single but nothing to play it with.

Unfortunately, I do not have my Blue Box anymore.  :'( :'( :'(

"Dexterization", comes from the echo that Dave Dexter (head of Capitol Records at the time) put on the records.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2012, 02:35:34 AM »

What happened to it, Gary?

I had a first day release of The Beatles with a low serial number.  I waited on a line at Macy's in NYC all night until the store opened.   

I gave it away to a girlfriend a year later.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2012, 02:55:14 AM »

now Barry, this is a family forum  ;)

;D

He also told me what a roundabout is.

KelMar

« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2012, 05:52:56 AM »

"Dexterization", comes from the echo that Dave Dexter (head of Capitol Records at the time) put on the records.

That's too bad about the Blue Box Gary. It was interesting to learn about Dexterization. When I started to really listen to The Beatles again, as an adult, I thought it was just the passing of time that made some of the songs seems different. I had (and still have) so much to learn, I guess!

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »

What happened to it, Gary?

You will cry when I tell you...

I had to put all my stuff in storage. Life took some very bad turns, money got so tight... Then I couldn't pay my storage bill... So some lucky fool got to bid on it, and when they went through my stuff, got some cool Beatles records.

Making me think about it makes me want to cry again.

nimrod

« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2012, 11:56:52 PM »

That really sucks mate  ;sorry
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Page created in 1.912 seconds with 75 queries.