Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Album Design.  (Read 10292 times)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
Album Design.
« on: July 31, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »

I recently wrote an article/essay on the Beatles and Album Design.
I thought I would post it, so I could get some feedback.

Cheers.

How albums could be attributed to art deeply interested me, realising it was during sixties that such a transformation occurred, changing an album into a separate entity, one that could hold significant meaning.       
 But before I focus on the Albums as a topic, I first need to get a grasp of what my topic stands for, or at least a simple definition of art.
 This task is not as simple as it may seem. Art cannot be defined in one simple sentence. So many words can be attributed to explain and describe art, making it a vast and endless subject. Whatever art form it may be, it can always be described as a manifestation of expression, channelled through the artists style and creativity.
 As well as complex definitions, the intentions or goal for art could be anything, ranging from personal to a strong political belief.
 The art that I am focusing on is from revolutionary albums in popular music. Although this form of art has a main goal of making a person buy the album, it can still be used to project a purposeful intention.
As well as the albums, I need to consider the era that they were created, and the culture and standard of living that accompanied that specific decade. The decade that I am looking at is the sixties, which was a time of British life, where modernism was being pushed through all means of life: fashion, film, music and technology. The younger generation were rocking the old crumbling establishment, and the sharp contrast of living was channelled through the bright colours and trendy living that was accustomed with late sixties life. New idealisms on living were brought out through songs, which was the main form of entertainment. Musicians were seen as being at the forefront of innovating the youth, the music had changed dramatically, love and peace were rules to live by, global drug use increased, as psychedelic fashions moulded personalities, and the music reinforced it.
 Music was taking on another role, in the field of entertainment. It was now a separate entity, a flourishing Business, in which large sums of money could be made.
 The Beatles had achieved global success in the early Sixties, and proceeded to revolutionise the music scene, introducing tape loops, backward music and orchestras clashed with electric guitar. Such experimentation had never been witnessed before; surrealism was being explored through a multitude of avenues, The Beatles, like so many other happenings, were at the forefront of a vibrant transformation.
 The most recognised popular music album cover of the 21st century is, undoubtedly, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.
 The glamour of Sgt Pepper is equally matched by the sheer indulgence of colour, in which, when combined, creates a powerful and surreal explosion that captivates the eye, and evokes a response. Peppers was a production on a grand scale, it displayed a real theatrical style, like a whole pantomime concealed in one image. The sheer busyness of the sleeve would keep the eyes wandering for an eternity, new faces emerging constantly, adding a hint of freshness to the fascinating album cover.
 Sgt Peppers Lonely Hears Club Band mirrored the spirit of the age; it was the spokesman for flower power, projecting positive vibes around the world, conceptualism in the form of an album had been born.
 Yet before Peppers materialised, the original idea from Paul McCartney was very much a rough outline of colour, only real results started to immerge when the Beatles approached modern contemporary artist Peter Blake to design and create the psychedelic concept.
 With Blake
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: Album Design.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 03:23:16 AM »

sorry i read half of it and was losing interest.will try again on a later day.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 12:48:02 PM »

No problem.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 11:40:33 PM »

ok i read it.it was boring.you need to grab the attention of the reader but with smaller words.you large words detract from the information being conveyed.
you never mention john wanted christ and hitler on the cover or george ghandi.
you lightly breezed the drug issue.because we use more drugs these day than those days.
there is a book by bill harry.a souvenir program so to speak.its a great sgt pepper tell all book.you also never mentioned that brian epstein was totally against the cover.he even suggestedbrown paper jackets for it.or how mal thunk up the name sgt. peppers lonley hearts club band.another idea was said it was to be a theme from childhood memories thats why strawberry feilds and pennylane were gonna be on it.that changed.
if you would have splashed me in awesome facts instead of words i would have been watering at the mouth for the next line and before i was finished reading be near collaspe but instead my head hurted.
write with a flourish and make it exciting and factual.
ps 700 hours were spent recording the album.it cost 40,000 dollars to make.radio london debutet it on friday5 pm,may 12th 1967.all this is in bill harrys book which i will share after i take my kid some clothes down the street spending the night...maybe don't hold me to it peppers a bore.....you wanna talk gene vincent?

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 06:20:13 AM »

[quote by=pc31 link=Blah.pl?b=books,m=1091304360,s=3 date=1091576433]you never mention john wanted christ and hitler on the cover or george ghandi.
[/quote]

Check again ;D.  Actually Indica he's right, that article was very exhausting to read.  Good effort putting that all together.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 12:29:04 PM »

Cheers for the feedback.
The whole study was for my A-level Art Exam, and so I had to detract from the glorified Beatle-Facts, and concentrate on the Art and Imagery.
With that said, I gave some light on the Beatles Career, as well as mentionig the Culture changes (which was what my title was really aimed at)

Remember I actualy had to write a minimum of 3000 words, so its tiring* state isnt really my fault.

Thanks anyway.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 12:01:05 AM »

What'd you get on it?

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 12:06:46 PM »

Im still waiting for the results! :)

I think the art teacher Liked it.
I also done some Beatle Images...some Psychedelic stuff contrasted with some calm White-Album esq..as a wall display in which the essay was mounted on.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 09:58:42 PM »

you be sure and tell us what you got.
the art could have captivated me in a good read......maybe a visual would have spermed me foward.carried me foward excitedly so.......lol

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 11:11:33 AM »

Dont worry, I will :)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 11:24:36 AM »

[/img]

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2004, 11:27:04 AM »

[/img]

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 12:54:15 PM »

Just thought I would Update, as I got me results.

A lovely A for me Art :)

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 09:54:58 PM »

great......it shows surpreme effort and dedication no matter what i thought tho remember that.i like the art work too.....i applaud your effort.
when are you designing covers for a profession???

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 03:27:26 PM »

sadly, my art is has now taken a backseat, as Im choosing English for my degree course.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 10:54:24 AM »

keep it as a hobby at least.......

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 10:57:40 AM »

yeah, cheers.
It would be a great job...Album Sleeve Artist.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 03:43:39 AM »

maybe alan needs some help on his..........

Sadie4

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 02:11:31 PM »

What can we do for him, then?
JOHN LENNON is my Sun King!

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 08:41:42 PM »

Draw! :)

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 78 queries.