Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flowers in the Dirt - reissue  (Read 4658 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Flowers in the Dirt - reissue
« on: December 21, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »

saw news that Flowers in the Dirt is being reissued in the spring.  For me, it came out at a time that was good for me and I listened to it, a lot.

Looking forward to this release, interested in Rough Ride, We Got Married especially.  Two of my favorites off the album.  Maybe some bonus material with Elvis?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Flowers in the Dirt - reissue
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:15:50 AM »

That one has good memories for me, too; I remember buying the cassette (!) when it first came out. I particularly liked "Put It There" and "That Day Is Done." I'm looking forward to the reissue.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:20:24 AM by Normandie »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 01:01:37 PM »

I have like 4 copies of this CD somehow and the funny thing is I never really cared for 'Flowers In The Dirt' all that much.  I find it funny because its one of Paul's more mature offerings and thats what i'm usually all about.  Oh well.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 06:17:36 PM »

tkitna:  I never liked any of the songs on this album.  My Brace Face seems very clean and slick but uninteresting to me.  Ou est le soleil? is simple repetition sort of reminiscent of "temporary secretary."  Whatever.  I think this was the first Paul album I bought on CD and that signaled the end of my vinyl-buying days.  Actually, if I remember correctly, it was pretty hard to find vinyl albums anymore.  It's like the recording industry didn't want to make them anymore so you were forced to buy CDs.  Yup!

And they cost much more than vinyl back then,

And what's with all these "bonus-track" re-issues?  Wow, what a great marketing concept!  It makes you buy the same record again.    And usually, those bonus tracks aren't any good anyway.  If they were, why weren't they on the original album?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 06:19:16 PM by Loco Mo »
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 06:23:08 PM »

I always liked 'Put It There' for its simplistic, melodic draw and 'We Got Married' is a good song also.  Never cared for much more than those two, but its been forever since i've spun it.  I need to break it out again.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 11:21:30 PM »

tkitna:  I never liked any of the songs on this album.  My Brace Face seems very clean and slick but uninteresting to me.  Ou est le soleil? is simple repetition sort of reminiscent of "temporary secretary."  Whatever.  I think this was the first Paul album I bought on CD and that signaled the end of my vinyl-buying days.  Actually, if I remember correctly, it was pretty hard to find vinyl albums anymore.  It's like the recording industry didn't want to make them anymore so you were forced to buy CDs.  Yup!

And they cost much more than vinyl back then,

And what's with all these "bonus-track" re-issues?  Wow, what a great marketing concept!  It makes you buy the same record again.    And usually, those bonus tracks aren't any good anyway.  If they were, why weren't they on the original album?

Bonus tracks are invented to keep rock stars in the luxury they are accustomed too

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 02:10:34 AM »

I always liked 'Put It There' for its simplistic, melodic draw and 'We Got Married' is a good song also.  Never cared for much more than those two, but its been forever since i've spun it.  I need to break it out again.

agree on put it there, problem with "i" devices, shuffle replaces good old entire album listening.  I too will spin it soon to refresh my memory.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 03:09:04 PM »

When I say I didn't like any of the songs on the album, I'm not, therefore, saying it was a bad album.  It was a good album.  Seems like the songs have a great bouncy beat.  And the rhythm section, too, is great.  (I admire anyone who knows how to spell "rhythm" without having to look it up - I mean what a weird spelling.)

Another comment about this lp:  I recall a reviewer saying that Costello "sounded eerily like John Lennon."  I never agreed with that.  I read other reviewers who used to use that phrase "sound eerily like _____."  That was kind of a popular phrase for a time.  I don't like it when reviewers make these comparisons because I never agree with them and I think they say it just for filler.  An example that I can think of is a reviewer who said that Madonna sounded like Karen Carpenter on a certain record (Ghost Town from her 2015 album, Rebel Heart).  OMG - I do not like that album at all and I hate the video for the song.

Okay, so while I'm writing this post, I'm listening to "Flowers" and I kind of like the song "Distractions."  It's softly-toned but, boy, if this isn't quintessential Paul, I don't know what is.

BTW:  From "We got married," what do these two verses mean?
  Working hard for the dream,
Scoring goals for the other team (this 2nd verse I don't understand)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 02:39:18 PM by Loco Mo »
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 03:41:18 AM »

Here's another article that includes a never released song that will be included with the reissue.  Unfortunately, I think the song sucks, but others might enjoy it.

Paul McCartney has released an online stream of the previously unreleased demo called "Twenty Fine Fingers". The track will be part of the just announce deluxe reissue of his "Flowers In The Dirt" album.

McCartney will be releasing the deluxe edition of the 1989 album on March 24th in various formats including a box set that will include previously unreleased demos, notebook of handwritten lyrics and notes from McCartney, as well as a 112-page hardcover book.

http://www.vevo.com/watch/USUV71700029?isrc=USUV71700029&share_location=ingestion

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 12:40:39 PM »

i heard part of that the other day, there is a reason it wasn't included in the finished album  :)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 01:08:34 AM »

Always up there among my favourite Paul albums. Absolutely love "My Brave Face" with it's fresh, early Beatles vibe including spangly guitars and that descending "Take me to that place" so reminiscent of John and "There's A Place". The promo film even included early footage of the fabs of course.

Several little gems followed, personal favourites including "Put It There", "This One" and "We Got Married". A hallmark of the album was Paul's pleasing return to melody after the basically tuneless mantrap that was (can hardly bear to type it) "Press To Play".

Ending the 80s on a high.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »

BTW:  From "We got married," what do these two verses mean?
  Working hard for the dream,
Scoring goals for the other team (this 2nd verse I don't understand)

I always thought he was saying that he was working hard on being a good mate for his significant other and doing things to please her that he wouldnt normally do.

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »

I am not planning on buying it, for the reason that I somehow refuse to buy the same stuff over and over again. Am I missing something?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 12:30:09 PM »

I am not planning on buying it, for the reason that I somehow refuse to buy the same stuff over and over again. Am I missing something?

If you are missing something, let me know because i'm missing the same thing.  I dont buy reissues either.  Heck, i'm not even buying the Sgt. Peppers package thats coming out.  Thought never even crossed my mind to be honest.

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »

If you are missing something, let me know because i'm missing the same thing.  I dont buy reissues either.  Heck, i'm not even buying the Sgt. Peppers package thats coming out.  Thought never even crossed my mind to be honest.

I'm not buying the Flowers reissue. I started doubting about Sgt Pepper when I saw the package. It's actually looking good. Expensive tho.

wmmn

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2017, 11:13:34 PM »

I recently bought the deluxe package and enjoyed the hell out of the whole thing. It’s one of my favorite McCartney albums, and I loved the Robbie and Hamish days.

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »

In what exact way is it better?

wmmn

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »

I haven't done a side by side comparison.  I like the regular album, but I like having all the outtakes and the demos, the booklets, the recording studio videos.  Nice stuff.

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 74 queries.