Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul McCartney And Wife Almost Killed In Helicopter  (Read 3399 times)

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
Paul McCartney And Wife Almost Killed In Helicopter
« on: November 11, 2012, 03:35:42 PM »

Sir Paul McCartney and his wife were just two feet away from disaster when the pilot of their helicopter became ‘disorientated’ in bad weather and plunged towards trees.

They avoided a potentially fatal crash with just a split second to spare when the pilot dramatically lifted the chartered Sikorsky S-76C away from the rain-lashed tree tops.

The drama happened as the aircraft, with the couple on board, attempted to land at night on a helipad at their East Sussex estate.

The helicopter eventually touched down safely after diverting to a nearby airport.

It is understood that Sir Paul, 70, and his 52-year-old wife, Nancy Shevell – who have declined to comment about the incident – were unaware how close they came to crashing.

The near miss is being investigated by the Department of Transport. The Mail on Sunday can reveal that the Air Accidents Investigation Branch has categorised the episode as a ‘serious incident’, which it defines as ‘involving circumstances indicating that an accident nearly occurred’.

According to the report, the minimum reading from the helicopter’s altimeter – which measures height by focusing on a fixed point – was ‘two feet’. It is understood the fixed point was the tree tops rather than the ground.

In pulling hard away, the 55-year-old pilot was forced to put immense pressure on the engine, which can itself be dangerous.

The report also reveals flying conditions that night included ‘low cloud base, poor visibility and rain’.

Despite this, the pilot pressed ahead and prepared to land on the former Beatle’s helipad, which is in the corner of a field encircled by woodland.

It adds: The commander became disorientated and the helicopter descended towards tops of trees in the forested area to the south and west of the landing site.’ The pilot then ‘executed a go-around’ or aborted landing.

This was still in May
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 04:10:34 PM by Badgirl66 »

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
Re: Paul McCartney And Wife Almost Killed In Helicopter
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 03:02:33 AM »

I hope he's written a song out of it. Realise it's commercial potential...

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »

live and let die is happent

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 05:51:21 AM »

Yes good one.

KeepUnderCover

• A Beginning
  • Across The Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:26:18 AM »

I'm really glad Paul is okay.

Live dates

Ringo Starr, Columbus OH, Feb 22, 1999
Julian Lennon, Cincinnati OH, July 21, 1999
Paul McCartney, Cincinnati OH, Aug 4th, 2011

~The Beatles Forever~

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »

Oh wow, I had no idea about this until now. Thank God they're alright.
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

chrisjacob

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:07:12 AM »

You are right, Paul is really lucky. There were many such incidents happened earlier also where celebrities and great leaders lost their life during plane crash even after giving them high safety. Most times the climate conditions might be the villain.

Thanks
CHRIS
phony systems pro
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:44:09 AM by Bobber »

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »

You are right, Paul is really lucky. There were many such incidents happened earlier also where celebrities and great leaders lost their life during plane crash even after giving them high safety. Most times the climate conditions might be the villain.

Thanks
CHRIS
phony systems pro

Thank you for giving this thread a new life. However, links to a commercial site are not allowed on this forum. I hope you don't mind me changing the url.

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 54 queries.