Other music forums > Various Artists, Lyrics, Discographies

70's Music ?

<< < (3/20) > >>

:
In the 60's between 1963 and 1967 only The Sound Of Music Soundtrack ,The Beatles , The Stones and Bob Dylan ocupied the # 1 postion on the UK album charts , only the Monkees in 1967 broke this pattern and then it took Val Doonican Rocks But Gently in 1968 to add to this list , these five acts and soundtrack album had a real stranglehold on the UK album charts .
And although The Beatles albums and Dylan's albums were brilliant , there was little room for other great 60's albums in this scrum .
It still staggers me that The Beach Boys Masterpiece Pet Sounds only managed # 2 in the UK during this time , the sales of the above records were just to great for it to hit the top spot ?
The Field for albums was much more open  in the 70's ,so i think you get a much more varried and interesting albums era ?

DaveRam :)

BlueMeanie:
Agreed Dave, there did seem to be a bit of a monopoly on the #1 spot. But in those days records literally sold in truckloads. Something that made #2 or even #10 on the album chart would probably make #1 today. Albums also seemed to have more staying power in those days. It wasn't unheard of for something to stay on the chart for nearly a year, though never actually making the coveted #1 spot.

:
Agree BlueMeanie most of the top 10 albums from the 60's would have hit # 1 today.
The Sound Of Music Soundtrack amazes me it spent 70 weeks at # 1  ,during The Beatles era. Some nice songs granted but 70 weeks at # 1 is a bit extreme ,what were you 60's record buyer's ON  :D :D :D :P

BlueMeanie:
I don't think it spent 70 consecutive weeks at #1.

wingsman:

--- Quote from: 679 ---Agree BlueMeanie most of the top 10 albums from the 60's would have hit # 1 today.
The Sound Of Music Soundtrack amazes me it spent 70 weeks at # 1  ,during The Beatles era. Some nice songs granted but 70 weeks at # 1 is a bit extreme ,what were you 60's record buyer's ON  :D :D :D :P

--- End quote ---

You're right DaveRam, in the middle of the 60's when the Beatles were not at #1, The Sound of Music was occuping the top spot! That album was crazy, I really hated because knocked-off the top spot the Beatles during months! It was the South Pacific of the 60's  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version